Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Dutch riders sat in front in the peloton when Anna broke away. Don't say they didn't take notice. It's like the commentator said: did riders forget how to think for themselves. 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, JCA12 said:

I see Stefan De Bid finished 52nd ahead of Nibali and Quintana, among others. Decent result. 

Gibbons and Dlamini DNF

Its tough when you dont get fed correctly....or at all. 

Just now, J Wakefield said:

That is insane that they didn't get sufficient or any food and stuff for the race.

13 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

Maybe the numbers are misleading, although higher up in the mountains it probably was a bit more mild.

According to what I am reading and seeing (vlogs, news reports etc) the heat/conditions in Tokyo are debilitating.

Should I paste a few links FYI?

No Tokyo by midday is debilitating. They started at 11am so temp was milder and they headed toward a more temperate area. Tokyo is a huge city, lots of glass. The cycling teams are based 120km away from Tokyo, so it's a bit better temperature wise. My cousin is over there on the media team as photographer for Canon so I'm getting daily rundowns. He was at the photographer zones for the ladies race today. Temp and humidity varied a lot along the course. He says it's hot but nothing he's not used to. CSA and mechanics and riders all saying the same.

10 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Nic took his musette at the 100mm feedzone but ignored the feeder doing a 100m sprint next to him with a bottle. Where weren't they fed correctly? Really keen to know as these are all aspects of racing where improvement is needed.

15 minutes ago, Nettie R said:

2 Dutch riders sat in front in the peloton when Anna broke away. Don't say they didn't take notice. It's like the commentator said: did riders forget how to think for themselves. 

Bottom line, the Dutch screwed it up big time ....

Well done to Kiesenhofer!

58 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

PhD in Mathematics apparently. Obviously chrunced a few numbers in advance.

Busy with a post-doctoral. If she adds inner peace to her portfolio, she would have won at life. Truly inspirational ride today. 

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Nic took his musette at the 100mm feedzone but ignored the feeder doing a 100m sprint next to him with a bottle. Where weren't they fed correctly? Really keen to know as these are all aspects of racing where improvement is needed.

When you have no access to the 2 bottles on your bike for the 1st 100km, that isnt being serviced. Your race is over. 

7 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

When you have no access to the 2 bottles on your bike for the 1st 100km, that isnt being serviced. Your race is over. 

Aaaah you mean they were riding too hard to take timeout to hydrate properly?

Or was the drink so hot it was undrinkable.

33 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Would the team car know what's happening via race radio or TV?

TV I suspect. If not TV then live stream race feed to phone. Data is dirt cheap apparently

I'm a bit OCD...

So when you are at a once in a 4 year event like this, training isn't enough...

The devil IS in the detail... when you have no race radio, you have to plan to get every little bit of race info. The Dutch were over-confident!!

Great win for Anna today!!! PhD and Post Doc nogal. 

A big win for the NERDS today...Well done!!!!!!!!!!!! 

24 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

I'm a bit OCD...

So when you are at a once in a 4 year event like this, training isn't enough...

The devil IS in the detail... when you have no race radio, you have to plan to get every little bit of race info. The Dutch were over-confident!!

Great win for Anna today!!! PhD and Post Doc nogal. 

A big win for the NERDS today...Well done!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Overconfident indeed. It was their podium to lose and they did. Snatched defeat from the Jaws of victory. The koninlike nederlansche wielren unie(knwu) is very well funded and staffed with seasoned professionals in their field so there's going to be a tough debrief after this race. CSA has plenty excuses to get things wrong but the Dutch don't have many. They're just going to have to up their game