Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

30 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

It was not available. NO Bottles when needed.

You're going to have elaborate more here. Was the team car not able to get to them,
Didn't have bottles?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic win for Kiesenhofer right from the break, things dreams are made of!

Van Vleuten celebrates but mistakes silver for gold

Strange that they did not know the Austrian was in front..... was there no motorcycle with a blackboard showing the time gap to the leader, or messages on a bottle, time gaps from team support on the side of the road....?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympics-van-vleuten-celebrates-but-mistakes-silver-for-gold/

42 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Fantastic win for Kiesenhofer right from the break, things dreams are made of!

Strange that they did not know the Austrian was in front..... was there no motorcycle with a blackboard showing the time gap to the leader, or messages on a bottle, time gaps from team support on the side of the road....?

There was confusion at all levels according to this thread

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Nic took his musette at the 100mm feedzone but ignored the feeder doing a 100m sprint next to him with a bottle. Where weren't they fed correctly? Really keen to know as these are all aspects of racing where improvement is needed.

His team car never came through to feed him.  Same happened in ladies race today so they had to rely on water from neutral service (not cold and no food) and the feedzone that was situated after 70 odd km's

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

You're going to have elaborate more here. Was the team car not able to get to them,
Didn't have bottles?

Can only comment on todays race. Team cars could definately come through the bunch with 8 to 10 min gap

On the TV footage you could see the other riders in breakaway got fed on several occassions by their team cars. Where was the Sa Team car

Edited by Block

30 minutes ago, Block said:

Can only comment on todays race. Team cars could definitely come through the bunch with 8 to 10 min gap

On the TV footage you could see the other riders in breakaway got fed on several occasions by their team cars. Where was the Sa Team car

But also when he was being fed at the feedzone he didn't take a bottle.

Was there one car or two. If only one then it can't be up the road with Nic and also with Ryan and Stefan back in the bunch, 12min back.

Hence I'd like to understand more around what the strategy was and how they planned the feed as I don't know what resources they had at their disposal and how they were used

Didn't go Lizzies way ... her comment on  the weather ????

"It’s also because the race was so hot and humid that all the moves were a bit blunted. There wasn’t that same spark. Everyone knew that if they went into the red they’d never come back from it in this kind of weather. It was a defensive race but still really hard."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-frustrated-with-weird-agendas-in-olympic-road-race/

2 hours ago, splat said:

There was confusion at all levels according to this thread

Yeah it’s hard to believe they really didn’t (have the ability to) know, but it made for great racing. What a ride !

1 hour ago, Block said:

His team car never came through to feed him.  Same happened in ladies race today so they had to rely on water from neutral service (not cold and no food) and the feedzone that was situated after 70 odd km's

The team car was following him. ????

13 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

The team car was following him. ????

Should have got some of those Sanparks guys driving, they would have got in close ???? but seriously was this another own goal by SA admin?

On 7/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, 'Dale said:

The spirit of my post was to honour his resolve - getting to the Tour de France with the barriers he continues to overcome is well reflected in how well he rolled today. @Patchelicious

Just got home after a LSD. Watching the final 100 kms.????

Another DNF was my initial thought.

Without fuel it was inevitable ????

Edited by Escapee..

4 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Anything is possible. That’s why I love sport. ????

???? @uci_cycling

9B406798-98D8-40A3-972F-0BDB2BF63C46.jpeg

Looks like Rafa nadal has transitioned and got 3rd in ladies bike race - well done to her 

Folks let's clear up the DNF.

Both Nic and Ryan completed the course. There is a rule in the ioc road race rule book that states the commisaire can pull any rider who is more than 12 min behind the main peloton. Both Nic and Ryan were way behind but within 12 min of the peloton when they and a whole group of others were pulled over at the last feed zone and held for 15min before being told to proceed. The commisaire also called the cut off at the finish line at 20min. They both crossed the finish line but out side time limits.

As for the feeding error I don't know what happened there but Nic did ignore the offer of a bottle so I'm not sure it's all CSA fault. Something about taking a horse to water. Would
he have lasted longer if he had eaten more and hydrated more? Maybe I don't have access to his files.

However thus far not one of the riders has openly complained about CSA. Surely someone would have tweeted instagrammed. Let's not flog the horses just yet. Realistically none of our boys had a chance of getting a medal but then this bloody Anna mathamagician tears up the form, rule, pundit, script and all books even maths text books so ya...

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Looks like Rafa nadal has transitioned and got 3rd in ladies bike race - well done to her 

Methinks that is a lot less funny and a lot more offensive than you think it is.

Longo Borghini is a world class rider with impressive palmares. Not a punch line for your bro jokes.