Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

What a composed, calculated and cool performance by gold medallist Tom Pidcock. It was a very close contest with the in-form Flueckiger. Serrano's surge in the finalé was impressive. HIs tears at the end, priceless. 

"“Not real, really. It’s pretty crazy that I became an Olympian and I was trying to tell myself at the start of the race it’s special just to be here."

- Tom Pidcock

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

he was pinched out on the start into that rock section and came about in 19th. Put his head down and came back to a solid 8th by the end. Was as high as 7th at 1 point and seemed to lose it alittle the last 2 laps. 

Great ride and solid from 16th at the last olympics.

he did even better, according to live split

start loop 31st (+ 25sec back)

lap 1 14th(+ 16 sec)

lap 3 8th (+19)

lap 4 7th (+58)

lap 6 8th (+1:19)

fin 8th (+1:19)

You can see he pulled through the field in the opening laps, my thumbsuck is this required some matchbox emptying. lap 4 pidcock and fluekiger basically drilled everyone by 30seconds and that was that for everyone else it was only bronze. Alan seemed to manage it well without blowing and pretty much held it from there, was hanging off the 3rd group by about 20seconds the whole way. Who knows what he could have done with a start like Cooper. Sort of feels similiar to Burry in London, got caught up first lap, worked his way back but this emptied the tank when it came to the final laps. Good news is that despite this disappointment, he is totally up there, on the biggest stage well done to him. Some XCO podiums and even wins are not out of the question.

in contrast, who the hell is Valero? Rides on an obscure BH team so not exactly top tier rider. Here is his way through the field with a very well paced effort from even further back.

start loop 35st (+ 27sec back)

lap 1 22nd(+ 31 sec)

lap 2 17nd(+ 50 sec)

lap 3 12th (+38)

lap 4 8th (+1:12)

lap 5 8th (+1:12)

lap 6 3rd (+1:05)

fin 3rd (+ 55)

17 minutes ago, INDABUSCHE said:

Sorry guys, who on earth was the male commentator for the 2 road events.

there is a reason the commentators don't mention each other by name!

I wonder if he has worked out that Carapaz had already won the second biggest event in the sport yet?

Just now, Shebeen said:

there is a reason the commentators don't mention each other by name!

I wonder if he has worked out that Carapaz had already won the second biggest event in the sport yet?

You forgot to say Rishaaaard Carapaz ... ????

1 hour ago, Spafsack said:

This is interesting, the way it looked to me watching live was that it seemed he did not carry enough speed at all. I saw on Cadence last week that Candice was training over and over, every day, on a similar massive drop, so it must be this one. As i said, this is really hectic for the ladies, hope none of them wipe out. Still makes no sense as you said that mvdp did not know this drop was coming. But as i said, he looked wat to slow at the top, like completely unexpected....  

Exactly this - he didn't pop the front wheel at all - just dropped it over the lip like he was rolling down a ramp (that wasn't there!).

It is a little weird that there was a ramp there during training...

35 minutes ago, INDABUSCHE said:

Sorry guys, who on earth was the male commentator for the 2 road events.

Based on the accent and steady stream of non-sequiturs, I'm pretty sure it was Murray from Flight of the Conchords.  

Edited by NickGM

Anyone know where I can stream the 7s rugby, doesn't look like SS is going to air our game against Kenia at 12:00?

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Anyone know where I can stream the 7s rugby, doesn't look like SS is going to air our game against Kenia at 12:00?

I see it is on SS Rugby:

Screenshot_20210726-114642_Brave.jpg.60c66d12d568fbcabbf1cbe9e760ea43.jpg

6 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Exactly this - he didn't pop the front wheel at all - just dropped it over the lip like he was rolling down a ramp (that wasn't there!).

It is a little weird that there was a ramp there during training...

Very strange stuff. It was probably there in training so guys didn't have to do the 3m (?) drop over and over if they didn't want to? Wonder if it'll be in place for the woman's race. 

But somehow it seemed that everyone else knew to carry speed and pop off the top, so I reckon this one is on MVDP and not the organizers. 

2 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Hell of a ride by Piddock! So killed in cycloX, been successful on the road, crushed the XC today. What's next? Tilt at the DH WC, an epic and then goes full BMX. ????

Massive talent yes, but remind us again of his success in cyclocross or road cycling without just quoting Gerald? 

23 minutes ago, TheoG said:

VPN and BBC.

2 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Hell of a ride by Piddock! So killed in cycloX, been successful on the road, crushed the XC today. What's next? Tilt at the DH WC, an epic and then goes full BMX. ????

I am hoping his trade team will let him and Carapaz/Bernal loose at the Lombardia in October. 

20 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Very strange stuff. It was probably there in training so guys didn't have to do the 3m (?) drop over and over if they didn't want to? Wonder if it'll be in place for the woman's race. 

But somehow it seemed that everyone else knew to carry speed and pop off the top, so I reckon this one is on MVDP and not the organizers. 

It appears that the Dutch have some serious communications issues. The teams were informed the pallet wouldn't be there for the race so I wonder if MVDP got the memo? Seems unlikely as he rode (as Eldron pointed out) like there was supposed to be a bridge there.

Just now, DieselnDust said:

It appears that the Dutch have some serious communications issues. 

As evidenced in the women's road race?

Van Vleuten thinks she's won, Vos reckons she knew Kiesenhofer was still up the road. They ride well, but don't talk to each other.

AMP has posted a nice vid on her social media pages giving a run down of the woman's race yesterday and highlighting how unpredictable cycling can be.

She also recons that she is a darkhorse in the ITT due to the nature of the course. Anything is possible.