Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

1 hour ago, INDABUSCHE said:

Sorry guys, who on earth was the male commentator for the 2 road events.

Oh gosh

After listening to pretty good commentary for 3 weeks at the TDF, it was PAINFUL listening to the commentators.

They would have the person's number in their face and still be like  "the rider from Uruguay wearing 61 looks like they can't stick with the group anymore" and I'm like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

Wonder if it was any better on the GCN+ feed. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Very strange stuff. It was probably there in training so guys didn't have to do the 3m (?) drop over and over if they didn't want to? Wonder if it'll be in place for the woman's race. 

But somehow it seemed that everyone else knew to carry speed and pop off the top, so I reckon this one is on MVDP and not the organizers. 

Just watched a video of it and it's hard to tell exactly what happened. It looks to me that he would have overshot the ramp whether it had been there or not and landed very front heavy leading to the crash. He may of course have tried to correct when he saw it wasn't there and overshot as a result.  You can see the rider after him doing it right and landing ever so back wheel first. Quite a gnarly drop for an XC bike to handle multiple times in a race. I wonder if any broke? Pity we were robbed of a Pidcock/ MVDP contest.

39 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

As evidenced in the women's road race?

Van Vleuten thinks she's won, Vos reckons she knew Kiesenhofer was still up the road. They ride well, but don't talk to each other.

and I also confirmed that Milan vader had lunch with Matthieu before the race where MVDP asked him if he was going to jump the rock gap or ride it. Which did he think is faster. Milan replies that he doesn't THINK the palette will be there so he will jump it.

It appear the Dutch don't like each other much as neither his fellow competitor nor his team manage informed him of the change from practice.

source:https://www.tubantia.nl/dossier-olympische-spelen/verbazing-in-nederlands-kamp-over-plankjesgate-van-der-poel-was-niet-op-de-hoogte~ad0a8e72/

the mens race wasn't much better for them. They sort of went into it with PPA Funride word champs tactics i.e. Everyman for himself, go till you blow

Edited by DieselnDust

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Isn't it scheduled for 8am? Still 13 minutes

I was merely commented on the fact that it was scheduled to be in 207 but ended up on 203 ... say someone had set it to be recorded to watch later what would happen?

2 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Seems there's some drama about the MVDP crash...

Apparently there were was a wooden ramp at that jump in training, but they removed it for the last practice session. MVDP was apparently expecting it and so wasn't prepared for the jump.

If that's true, it's pretty poor from MVDP considering everyone seemed to know what was coming. Not been a good 2 days for Dutch cycling.

According to the Dutch National Coach, they spoke about the removal of the ramp the whole week and on the morning, and that MvdP was aware of it's removal. 

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

and I also confirmed that Milan vader had lunch with Matthieu before the race where MVDP asked him if he was going to jump the rock gap or ride it. Which did he think is faster. Milan replies that he doesn't THINK the palette will be there so he will jump it.

It appear the Dutch don't like each other much as neither his fellow competitor nor his team manage informed him of the change from practice.

source:https://www.tubantia.nl/dossier-olympische-spelen/verbazing-in-nederlands-kamp-over-plankjesgate-van-der-poel-was-niet-op-de-hoogte~ad0a8e72/

the mens race wasn't much better for them. They sort of went into it with PPA Funride word champs tactics i.e. Everyman for himself, go till you blow

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/mathieu-van-der-poel-crashes-out-of-contention-in-olympic-mtb-race/

Maybe it's just me.... and maybe I'm paranoid.... But when there's a 3m drop on the course and there's confusion about whether or not there's gonna be a ramp there, I'd probably do my homework and make 100% sure what the story is before the race starts. 

10 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I was merely commented on the fact that it was scheduled to be in 207 but ended up on 203 ... say someone had set it to be recorded to watch later what would happen?

Wait for the re-run

Eish, glad he could get up, somehow without concussion or fractures. 

“I don’t know what to say, but I’ll be back.” - Mathieu vd Poel (Instagram)

C7E4BAAA-E670-4A3E-9786-417EA36756C4.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

According to the Dutch National Coach, they spoke about the removal of the ramp the whole week and on the morning, and that MvdP was aware of it's removal. 

MVDP only arrived on Friday

3 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Tom is an atypical Pom, he doesn't drink and he is not into football. Good lad!

Leeds (where he is from) is a nice place, 

What remains now is downhill.

Lots of good MTB around Leeds too

I wonder what his mum's name is..? no he's 18months too young... <Wipes sweat from forehead>

25 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/mathieu-van-der-poel-crashes-out-of-contention-in-olympic-mtb-race/

Maybe it's just me.... and maybe I'm paranoid.... But when there's a 3m drop on the course and there's confusion about whether or not there's gonna be a ramp there, I'd probably do my homework and make 100% sure what the story is before the race starts. 

I put my bike away and go there to watch the race...????

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

What the bloody hell did he leave the TDF early for then?

I asked myself and he (via social media) this very question. Apparently he needed to do an acclimatization block and get used to his MTB again so that's forgivable. In fact he should probably have bailed on Friday and ridden Les Gets but Eddie would have taken him part for that instead he just got punched in the gut

28 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

I am a huge MvdP fan...

BUT, drawing some lines to the women's race of yesterday.  The (Dutch) superstars can become overconfident and then make errors in assumption... which costs them dearly...