Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Everyone has been going on about a 3 metre drop. That's not even 1.5 meters in the vertical.

True, but this is the shot you'd show to your friends:

Mathieu van der Poel 'didn't know they would remove ramp', which caused  crash at Tokyo Olympics | Cycling Weekly

In all honesty though, with the downhill landing, the drop size depends on where you land. Nino was launching off the top and landing quite a lot further down the bank than the other guys before he got dropped. 

15 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

Edit: Did anyone capture how much air Nino got on that drop in the first lap or 2. That was insane

24 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Everyone has been going on about a 3 metre drop. That's not even 1.5 meters in the vertical.

image.png.a55ca58dae3050c84232e6f4ffbfed1d.png

Top arrow is where MVDP landed. Check where Nino landed. That's at least double the vertical of the wooden ramp

12 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

TIn all honesty though, with the downhill landing, the drop size depends on where you land. Nino was launching off the top and landing quite a lot further down the bank than the other guys before he got dropped

So, you can look flashy, or win. Fast is seemingly better when you want to win a gold thingy.

13 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

True, but this is the shot you'd show to your friends:

Mathieu van der Poel 'didn't know they would remove ramp', which caused  crash at Tokyo Olympics | Cycling Weekly

In all honesty though, with the downhill landing, the drop size depends on where you land. Nino was launching off the top and landing quite a lot further down the bank than the other guys before he got dropped. 

Yeah MvDP did a full somersault before he even hit the ground so I'm thinking he dipped his front wheel expecting the ramp to be there, and well, it wasn't. The other guys all jumped it quite easily. So I do believe he didn't now it was no longer there, Whether he just forgot in the heat of the moment is another topic for discussion all together.

41 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Yeah MvDP did a full somersault before he even hit the ground so I'm thinking he dipped his front wheel expecting the ramp to be there, and well, it wasn't. The other guys all jumped it quite easily. So I do believe he didn't now it was no longer there, Whether he just forgot in the heat of the moment is another topic for discussion all together.

He says he wasn't told it wouldn't be there.

No one has admitted to telling him directly it would be gone for the race.

Lots of members of the Dutch team figured he knew it wouldn't be there.

What they forget is that he didn't ride the test race in 2019 and everything he got back from the team was hear say. His only experience of riding the course was on Saturday and Sunday with the bridge in place.

He didn't read the race manual and his team manager didn't attend the race briefing and/or didn't inform him appropriately assuming he knew because well he's Mathieu van der Poel. 

his team mates likely didn't tell him either because, well, you know, he's Mathieu van der Poel and why should they tell a cycling God anything.

Lesson for Mathieu. Be like Anna, Anna doesn't trust those who say they know because likely they don't know or people who do know because they wont say they know. Get the information yourself and trust only yourself

29 minutes ago, Tim Brink said:

Dutch BMX team "Hold My Beer"

a queue of riders and officials crossing the track. None of them should have been there

3 minutes ago, Puncture Kid said:

Anywhere where a reply is available? Useless DSTV has no replays as far as I can find

Try 23h00 on Ch 202  DSTV

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

He says he wasn't told it wouldn't be there.

No one has admitted to telling him directly it would be gone for the race.

Lots of members of the Dutch team figured he knew it wouldn't be there.

What they forget is that he didn't ride the test race in 2019 and everything he got back from the team was hear say. His only experience of riding the course was on Saturday and Sunday with the bridge in place.

He didn't read the race manual and his team manager didn't attend the race briefing and/or didn't inform him appropriately assuming he knew because well he's Mathieu van der Poel. 

his team mates likely didn't tell him either because, well, you know, he's Mathieu van der Poel and why should they tell a cycling God anything.

Lesson for Mathieu. Be like Anna, Anna doesn't trust those who say they know because likely they don't know or people who do know because they wont say they know. Get the information yourself and trust only yourself

Been ignoring all news and social media to watch that race. Respect to Tom firstly, and the man is a beast. We'll never know what we don't know, but no guarantees MVDP would have caught him anyway. Based on form alone, Matias was best placed to see him and he also didn't. 

I have a few questions. If we were never going to use the ramp why was it there in the first place. Different sports I know, but MotoGP/F1 do not place certain obstacles for whatever reason and remove them on the day. It is, what it is. Why put it on? 

Surely Dutch communication is at an all time low, but as you clearly said, they "figured". Pretty sure a drop like that was NB to make sure everyone on the same page. Really disappointing the way that ended. 

Nino battled, just the end of an era? 

Alan did good! 

Rant over. 

image.png.a8e9b72c80ae7c968d1b8e3a907c3dfe.png