Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Yolanda was and still is a better rider in heavy tech stuff, did you see how smooth, fast, fearless she was, that is what made that race. All the other xco races were about pure fitness, strength, but this one was different.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

He probably through the next gantry over track was the finish line.

image.png.6632c88054b30a50a1a8469d30f29235.png

That is what he thought...

14 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

But wait, there's more....

IMG-20210728-WA0045.jpg

IMG-20210728-WA0046.jpg

The same official and mechanic who were at the TT attending to the riders participating there?

17 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

IMG-20210728-WA0045.jpg

IMG-20210728-WA0046.jpg

Ah, so what was chop number 1 doing while not doing his job?

chop.jpg

17 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

IMG-20210728-WA0045.jpg

IMG-20210728-WA0046.jpg

It seems South Africa is not alone in this regard. Richard Carapaz and Jhonathon Narvaez were also abandoned and left to fend for themselves by their Federation during the build up  to the road race and were basically "saved" by Kurt Bogaerds who stepped up and took care of them. Bogaerts is  a Belgian who is Tom Pidcock's mentor and trainer and is employed by Ineos but also doubles up by working for the Irish Cycling federation.

22 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

????

I completely missed the TT due to work ????.  Pleasantly surprised to see Primoz came back with a bang.  I thought Wout would do a lot better though.

Not bad from de Bod in 14th.

The top 6 were all within 15s of each other at the halfway mark.

Roglic found close to a minute on everyone else on that last lap. My best guess is he attacked the climbs aggressively and recovered on the downhill sections. You could see this playing out in real time towards the end where he and Asgreen kept on catching each other.

image.png.ff65245f8b152c2ed06e5c251520f9ab.png

29 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Ah, so what was chop number 1 doing while not doing his job?

chop.jpg

check the Cycling_SA instagram feed

34 minutes ago, dsw said:

It seems South Africa is not alone in this regard. Richard Carapaz and Jhonathon Narvaez were also abandoned and left to fend for themselves by their Federation during the build up  to the road race and were basically "saved" by Kurt Bogaerds who stepped up and took care of them. Bogaerts is  a Belgian who is Tom Pidcock's mentor and trainer and is employed by Ineos but also doubles up by working for the Irish Cycling federation.

a lot of the teams are short on resources, especially mechanics and spares. So teams are all helping each other out. Covid protocols means that a limited number of support staff was approved to go to Tokyo. CSA is in the same boat and the smaller your team the fewer the number of support staff allowed.

Bear in  mind that while track practice is happening , there medal opportunity events happening at the same time. So should the support go to athletes participating in events or those practicing?

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

So should the support go to athletes participating in events or those practicing?

I'd suggest to the place where they were actually designated to be?

The track mechanic was not sent as the road mechanic aswell, So why would he be at the ITT events?

The cycling code manager I can understand was at the ITT for Ashleigh aswell as Stefan.

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

a lot of the teams are short on resources, especially mechanics and spares. So teams are all helping each other out. Covid protocols means that a limited number of support staff was approved to go to Tokyo. CSA is in the same boat and the smaller your team the fewer the number of support staff allowed.

Bear in  mind that while track practice is happening , there medal opportunity events happening at the same time. So should the support go to athletes participating in events or those practicing?

Yip, impossible to be everywhere at once. The fact that the 2 Equadorian riders had a connection to Ineos and Pidcock played in their favour. The poor Jean Spies probably has no such connections. 

2 minutes ago, dsw said:

Yip, impossible to be everywhere at once. The fact that the 2 Equadorian riders had a connection to Ineos and Pidcock played in their favour. The poor Jean Spies probably has no such connections. 

Also an opportunity to make such connections.