Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I missed the whole thing, but I think it's actually getting better.

Yes it is. The majority is becoming more inclusive and equal. This needs to be acknowledged. 

But there will always be hate on both sides at the fringes, some misogynists and racists masquerading as rationalists, and the retribution seeking woke leftists masquerading as progressives. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Send people who know what they doing in that level of environment and have a proven track record with the required qualifications for it. 

image.png.4145e18f5efbfe4759aa4553cb7ca910.png

I am separated far far away enough from this not to have any vested interests apart from seeing our athletes achieve their best.

so who is the support staff actually? With a quick google i found this, totally understand that there could be a lot more behind these people and this is hardly exhaustive. 

Elton Davids - SG of cycling sa (i guess he had a big hand in selecting the support staff, including himself) I guess CSA salaried

Carl Pasio - Ash's husband, former pro cyclist and the support behind everything she does to be easily the best female cyclist we've ever had.

Ian Goetham - various CSA committees, probably volunteer

Gary Blem - one of the best world tour mechanics on the planet - he does/did Froome's bike

Brigitte Mileson - dunno uk based physio 

JP Jacobs - mechanic for spez, cannondale etc pro mtb teams

Tyrone Johns - kzn based bmx rider and coach, probably volunteer

Moosa claasen - apart from the team announcements, can only find this on him covering saddles

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I am separated far far away enough from this not to have any vested interests apart from seeing our athletes achieve their best.

so who is the support staff actually? With a quick google i found this, totally understand that there could be a lot more behind these people and this is hardly exhaustive. 

Elton Davids - SG of cycling sa (i guess he had a big hand in selecting the support staff, including himself) I guess CSA salaried

Carl Pasio - Ash's husband, former pro cyclist and the support behind everything she does to be easily the best female cyclist we've ever had.

Gary Blem - one of the best world tour mechanics on the planet - he does/did Froome's bike

Moosa claasen - apart from the team announcements, can only find this on him covering saddles

Well....

50 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Moosa (Mellie) is known to me. He's the head wrench at Bridge Cycles. He's been on various SA Cycling teams as mechanic at the request of athletes I'm told by people other than the man himself. Has built wheels foe me in the past and they haven't fallen apart. IME a very good mechanic.

Elton has been around a long time, from Secretary at Elfin Cycling Club, ACSIS Cycling (From which Velokhaya sprang IIRC. also the formative years of what is now BikeHub(Matt can correct me)) past PPA Exco vicechair, Cycletour trust board member,  Holds a qualification in Sports  Admin from UWC IIRC, super passionate bloke and landed current role at CSA a few months back. Probably the newest onto the scene here.

JP, Head wrench at CFR, Lefty Wizzard

Gary is known as Pro tour wrench.

So with the innuendo being thrown around I'm struggling to see where the lack of competency lies or what the expectation of competency is. 

Without specifics these are just revolving conversations. The people appear to be plug and play. Whoever gets the job also carries the labels of the people they replace.

So where specifically are the issues?

Edited by DieselnDust

36 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Moosa (Mellie) is known to me. He's the head wrench at Bridge Cycles. He's been on various SA Cycling teams as mechanic at the request of athletes I'm told by people other than the man himself. Has built wheels foe me in the past and they haven't fallen apart. IME a very good mechanic.

Elton has been around a long time, from Secretary at Elfin Cycling Club, ACSIS Cycling (From which Velokhaya sprang IIRC. also the formative years of what is now BikeHub(Matt can correct me)) past PPA Exco vicechair, Cycletour trust board member,  Holds a qualification in Sports  Admin from UWC IIRC, super passionate bloke and landed current role at CSA a few months back. Probably the newest onto the scene here.

JP, Head wrench at CFR, Lefty Wizzard

Gary is known as Pro tour wrench.

So with the innuendo being thrown around I'm struggling to see where the lack of competency lies or what the expectation of competency is. 

Without specifics these are just revolving conversations. The people appear to be plug and play. Whoever gets the job also carries the labels of the people they replace.

So where specifically are the issues?

Brigitte has helped and managed Jean since he started his journey for Olympic qualification nearly 5 years ago. She is well qualified and deserved to be selected and has the experience to manage the team.

If I must rate the performances (out of 10) of the SA cyclists so far at the games my not very refined ratings would be as follows:

Ashleigh- 7,5

Alan- 6

Stefan-6

Candice- 5

Nic- 3

Carla- 2

Ryan-  1

Alex- 1

For reference , I would give Tatjana a 10+ and Bianca a 9. 

Whether better support staff/clothing/requipment would have made a difference to the performances is unknown but I doubt very much .  

40 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

TBH, Alan deserves a 7,5 at least too, if not an 8.

Bigger competition that AMP and if it wasn't for a poor start, he could have been very close to that podium.

The surprise package for me was Stefan de Bod who beat a few very big names in the ITT and also at least finished the Road race while many bigger starts did not even manage to do that.  Not bad at all for a rider who was drafted in as a replacement. 

I scored Ashleigh the highest as she did very well in the road race without the benefit of a team ( Carla was in the break before bailing and provided no support) while she also did excellent in the ITT. 

40 minutes ago, dsw said:

The surprise package for me was Stefan de Bod who beat a few very big names in the ITT and also at least finished the Road race while many bigger starts did not even manage to do that.  Not bad at all for a rider who was drafted in as a replacement. 

I scored Ashleigh the highest as she did very well in the road race without the benefit of a team ( Carla was in the break before bailing and provided no support) while she also did excellent in the ITT. 

Carla didn't achieve much for herself, but I think that her participation in the breakaway meant that Ashleigh didn't have to and allowed Ashleigh to sit in the bunch and achieve her result.
Listening to her video on Instagram, she said that the Dutch team would have chased her down if she tried to go in the break.

???????????????????? ???????????????????????????? ???????????????????? - ???????????????????? ???????????????????????????? ????????  

The final cycling discipline of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games is in full swing, and many would argue the most binge-worthy!

Our 2021 African Continental Champions, are ready to flex their quads????and give it their all in their Olympic Games debut. Go Team ????????!

???????? Charlene Du Preez - Women’s Kierin & Sprint
???????? Jean Spies - Men’s Kierin & Sprint
???????? David Maree - Men’s Omnium

???????????????????????? ????
The Sprint may very well be the purest form of bike racing. Two riders compete in a series of head-to-head races over three laps of the velodrome. The two riders start next to each other from a standing start. The first rider to cross the finish line wins the race, and the rider who wins the best of three races wins the match.

The Keirin event originated in Japan, where track cycling is incredibly popular. It’s a mass-start event that sees a group of six riders line up next to each other along the start line. The first five-and-a-half laps are ridden behind a pacer on a motorbike. The pacer increases the speed with each lap until it reaches 50km/h and pulls off the track with two-and-a-half laps to ride. The final two-and-a-half laps are an all-out sprint for the finish line, with speeds regularly reaching more than 70km/h.

The Omnium is a competition for individual riders and consists of a medley of four unique mass-start races. Riders receive points based on their results in each race, and the rider with the most cumulative points after all four racers is the winner. The entire Omnium competition will take place over the course of a day. 

????️ ????????????????????????????????????, ???? ???????????????????????? 
???????? 08h30 - 12h00
Men’s Sprint Qualifiers - Jean Spies
Women’s Keirin Qualifiers - Charlene Du Preez

????️ ????????????????????????????????, ???? ????????????????????????
???????? 08h30 - 12h00

Men’s Sprint Qualifiers - Jean Spies
Women’s Keirin Qualifiers - Charlene Du Preez
Men’s Omnium - David Maree

15:30 Men's Omnium - Event 1, Scratch Race
16:27 Men's Omnium - Event 2, Tempo Race
17:07 Men’s Omnium - Event 3, Elimination Race
17h45 Women’s Keirin Final 1- 6
17:55 Men’s Omnium - Event 4, Points Race

????️ ????????????????????????, ???? ???????????????????????? 
???????? 08h30 - 12h30
Men’s Sprint Rounds - Jean Spies
Women’s Sprint Rounds - Charlene Du Preez

18h00 Men’s Sprint Finals - Race 1
18h35 Men’s Sprint Finals - Race 2
18h50 Men’s Sprint Finals - Decider

????️ ????????????????????????????????, ???? ????????????????????????
???????? 08h30 - 11h30
Men’s Keirin Rounds - Jean Spies
Women’s Sprint Rounds - Charlene Du Preez       

????️ ????????????????????????, ???? ???????????????????????? 
???????? 10h00 - 13h00
Men’s Keirin Rounds - Jean Spies
Woman’s Sprint Rounds - Charlene Du Preez

11h20 Women’s Sprint Finals - Race 1
11h45 Women’s Sprint Finals - Race 2
12h00 Men’s Keirin Final 1 - 6
12h25 Women’s Sprint Finals - Decider

???? Catch all the action in Tokyo????on SuperSport
#TeamSA #Tokyo2020

More information on the startlists, race updates and official reports can be found at https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/cycling-track/reports.htm