Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Okay so what did the guy do?

I don't know if those articles on previous allegations are relevant here - they talk of swimming coaches. they could be, but I think one would need more info before inferring that.

I do remember something like that in the men's road race the team car went up the road and gibbons needed to beg bottles off other riders, but this looks basically like stuff wasn't organised during the olympics. could just be minor stuff like team kit, training sessions/ transfers etc. okes come from world tour level and then expect a a basic level of organisination 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a story about an official arriving hours late for a training session. He was sightseeing. And he had the mechanic with him. So rider had to sit and wait, maybe even miss the session. Cant remember all the details.

But usually the officials think its a holiday and treat it as such to the detriment of the athletes.

35 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I don't know if those articles on previous allegations are relevant here - they talk of swimming coaches. they could be, but I think one would need more info before inferring that.

I do remember something like that in the men's road race the team car went up the road and gibbons needed to beg bottles off other riders, but this looks basically like stuff wasn't organised during the olympics. could just be minor stuff like team kit, training sessions/ transfers etc. okes come from world tour level and then expect a a basic level of organisination 

That is always the problems with governmental failures. They never say what they did. The resultant speculation is usually more damaging than the act itself.

Who really knows what the guy did to get sent home early...

25 minutes ago, gtr1 said:

I remember a story about an official arriving hours late for a training session. He was sightseeing. And he had the mechanic with him. So rider had to sit and wait, maybe even miss the session. Cant remember all the details.

But usually the officials think its a holiday and treat it as such to the detriment of the athletes.

I don’t think that’s true. There was social media posts about a mechanic who was late but the track team had been informed that that mechanic was due to be at the bmx track assisting there. The official was between sites  that were quite far apart. Max speed in Japan is 80km/hr so I suspect that there was some logistics challenges that weee sold as tourist activities. The truth will surface eventually but the amount of conflicting stories about the cycling activities in Tokyo tells me there’s more under the surface here 

1 hour ago, gtr1 said:

How dare officials go there and carry on like it’s a holiday.Usually that is reserved for the athletes we send????

1 hour ago, stringbean said:

How dare officials go there and carry on like it’s a holiday.Usually that is reserved for the athletes we send????

but but but... its invaluable experience learnt ????

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I don’t think that’s true. There was social media posts about a mechanic who was late but the track team had been informed that that mechanic was due to be at the bmx track assisting there. The official was between sites  that were quite far apart. Max speed in Japan is 80km/hr so I suspect that there was some logistics challenges that weee sold as tourist activities. The truth will surface eventually but the amount of conflicting stories about the cycling activities in Tokyo tells me there’s more under the surface here 

GTR1 is pretty spot on on his post. 

Elton is and was under qualified and educated on the job at hand that is required for Olympic level. It showed and then there is the rest. 

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

GTR1 is pretty spot on on his post. 

Elton is and was under qualified and educated on the job at hand that is required for Olympic level. It showed and then there is the rest. 

Now I wonder who was the person(s) that put his name in the hat to go to Tokyo.  He certainly did not select himself.  The tree needs a shake....

4 hours ago, Underachiever said:

Now I wonder who was the person(s) that put his name in the hat to go to Tokyo.  He certainly did not select himself.  The tree needs a shake....

How certain are you of that? 

6 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

How certain are you of that? 

Mmm... good point John. 

I'm in corporate where things just doesn't happen by chance.  It is a controlled environment.  People get selected/recruited for important stuff.  Not that the most suitable always gets selected...  

Assumed on this level CSA/SASCOC had a similar approach...

Edited by Underachiever