Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

I am thinking Lecomte will end up with gold. Rissveds and Prevot will be fighting it out for silverware. 

in the mens, I am of strong opinion that Fluckiger has it. I am not sure MvdP is going to pull the full distance to take the win, but TdF has cast some doubt on that aspersion. Pidcock to cause some upsets. I am afraid I just don't see N1NO doing a double. I would gladly be proven wrong though.

All this is to say that the event actually takes place of course.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The  spanner in the works is really the weather, its hard to describe that type of heat / humidity, nothing like we see in ZA. I've experienced the same quiet a lot in the Philippines, once I made the mistake of taking a bike there on a trip, the only times I could ride was early in the mornings or early evenings, the rest of the day spent sheltering in an air con room. 

So if the same conditions exits for the racing its going to be a matter of who can cope best, I think it will probably be outside most athletes comfort zones, perhaps the older and wiser will do better, like Mathias and Pendrel

LIke who can pace themselves better, the whipper-snappers are likely to burn their matches boxes one time.

Just now, kosmonooit said:

The  spanner in the works is really the weather, its hard to describe that type of heat / humidity, nothing like we see in ZA. I've experienced the same quiet a lot in the Philippines, once I made the mistake of taking a bike there on a trip, the only times I could ride was early in the mornings or early evenings, the rest of the day spent sheltering in an air con room. 

So if the same conditions exits for the racing its going to be a matter of who can cope best, I think it will probably be outside most athletes comfort zones, perhaps the older and wiser will do better, like Mathias and Pendrel

I beg to differ, try Richardsbay in summer (Nov - Feb), 30-40C with 80% plus humidity on a regular basis, you literally live from aircon to aircon, work-car-home ????.  Yes, its not easy to exercise in such conditions.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I beg to differ, try Richardsbay in summer (Nov - Feb), 30-40C with 80% plus humidity on a regular basis, you literally live from aircon to aircon, work-car-home ????.  Yes, its not easy to exercise in such conditions.

Yup kinda the same but not quite,  my experience anyway.

The 2010 Common Wealth Games in Delhi had similar heat/humidity coupled with the bad air.

Luckily Noida was a little bit out of the way, but it was not great. I remember the Australians adapted to those games quickly.

Maybe an Australian on form? Ben O'Connor?

Ok ok, I'll be the 1st to admit I never ever thought the kit would look as good as it does. Even though it's not made by Castelli or Bioracer or Santini like alot of the other countries kits so they've got Aero socks and gloves and all the rest, I must say I think Maxed/Mr Price have done well with this one. Ashleigh even has the SA flag on the cuff of the bib and right sleeve, which I'm assuming is because she was the previous SA Ladies Road champ(I may be wrong but haven't seen any of the others in their kit). So well done to Maxed/Mr Price Sports. (Ps, I'll never wear their actual kit out of the store, the fit is horrible)

Edit: on closer inspection, I may be wrong, But seems the kit may have been made by Tactic, whose kits are kinda cool

IMG_20210721_082923.jpg

Edited by FootballingCyclist

15 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

"New Zealand" on that list nudged a memory of mine.

Whatever happened to Sam Gaze? He was on-the-up, winning the Argus a couple of years back... should have been the start of big things for him. ????‍♂️

Depression. Seems to be a bit of a recurring thing with elite cyclists