Heart Rate Monitor for biking - advice

23 minutes ago, Battery_Chick said:

Good luck. I joined Strava but for a new sign up, it's R600 a year... Not sure I will commit after the 2 month trial... 

not that i'd spend discovery points on strava but you can buy a years subscription with those too if you are on vitality...it's 6000 points...about 20h ish in the saddle. so easily doable every year

31 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I also had a V800, I loved it. About two weeks ago it started acting weird and it stopped working all together. Fortunately for me I insured it under itemized items and the insurance paid out to the vendor. I need to go and choose another one this week still, I just had not had a chance to go to them ????.

But I'm guessing you don't go V800 again?

Vantage M2 looks rather good and reasonably priced too.

https://www.polar.com/za/vantage/m2

42 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

But I'm guessing you don't go V800 again?

Vantage M2 looks rather good and reasonably priced too.

https://www.polar.com/za/vantage/m2

No clue what I am looking to get now, I was quite happy with my V800. But ya, newer may be better. O ya, I should also add that I do not like a round watch face ????

Edited by RobertWhitehead

3 hours ago, Battery_Chick said:

Good luck. I joined Strava but for a new sign up, it's R600 a year... Not sure I will commit after the 2 month trial... 

Initially I joined Strava to have a single point the record my data, as I used a Polar on the commuter and a Garmin on the MTB.

Since then the Polar have been in the drawer ....  now using Garmin on both bikes and for steps and and ....

The only reason I still keep my Strava account is to follow a friend that does Ironman (not only for the events, but to follow the training regime)

Back on topic - I found the Polar strap is much more accommodating of the position.  The Garmin strap must be "higher" on the chest, and may be why some woman finds this uncomfortable.

All the candidates will give the basic data.  Do you want a "watch" or a bar mounted computer ?  Over the last few years "navigation" via the computer screen has become a "thing" ....  Only you will know if this has any value to you, and these typically go with the more pricey units.

Altitude is bit of a topic on its own .... many units "calculate" the altitude by using topography data and the satalites (something along those lines).  Some units use an internal barometer to determine altitude .... BOTH have good and bad points ...

Price .... uhm ja ..... the downside of the "Vitality rewards" type systems is that various units are expensive for those not on Vitality (or any of the other rewards programs).  You will need to do some homework to find the "typical prices", then keep an eye out for specials.  There is a thread on the Hub about "One Day Specials", every so often some good specials come up.

Happy hunting, this is a VERY wide field of options at the moment.....  The posts linking to DC Rainmaker may well be the best place to start ....

Edited by ChrisF

• 3 weeks later...