retrofitting old road groupset

NickGM

Hi All,

I've got an oldish shimano 3x9 road groupset, which I think is from a 2001 Giant OCR one.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=35607

I'm trying to work out if there's any reason it wont work in a more modern frame. With the exception of disk brakes, my understanding is that axle standards have not changed on road bikes (130mm) so that part is fine. But then moving on to bottom brackets, I'm a little less clued-up and there are loads of different standards. I'm pretty sure the original bike had a 68mm BB shell.

Is there any reason I wont be able to get this old groupset to work in a more modern frame? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edit: neglected to mention that I have the old wheels too, hence may concerns about axle standards. 

Edited by NickGM

latest ones are 142mm TA though, and at worst you might need a spacer on the free body of a 11 speed hub if it was a modern one i guess (like the hope pro4 mtb ones that can take 11speed+ road cassettes too). The only problem i can think about on some frames might be the front derailleur/tire clearance for that 3x9 mech 

edit: also, would there be clearance for the smallest ring up front at the chain stay considering most modern bikes are made for wider tires and 2 and 1x ? but if the frame is 130mm QR still, i cant see why not?

someone who has will chime in soon im sure

Edited by MORNE

If it is going into a QA road frame it will be fine.  The FD is likely to be a  problem as in that era most were clamp on and the tubes thinner than the modern frames.  

1 minute ago, David Marshall said:

If it is going into a QA road frame it will be fine.  The FD is likely to be a  problem as in that era most were clamp on and the tubes thinner than the modern frames.  

Do you mean QR? If that's the case then yes. Good to know about the FD clamps.