Pros vs the rest of us

I couldn’t find a suitable thread to post the following, so let’s try keep this to the topic of comparing the a WT pro to the rest of us mere mortals.

I was listening to the TrainerRoad podcasts, where one pro sent them a query on getting dropped, and what he should be doing to ensure he doesn’t get dropped. 

These guys have extremely long podcasts, so you can skip to 1h36 to listen to David’s story.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/ask-a-cycling-coach-podcast-presented-by-trainerroad/id1035433041?i=1000521623523

in summary, his FTP is 420W, but after a few hours at 360W (he calls it traveling speed) he gets dropped, despite having high peak power outputs. 

It puts the level of a WT pro into perspective compared to the rest of us.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But what does he weigh?
i.e Watt/kg traveling speed w/kg?

Normally WT riders are around 60-70kg on avg.

Van der Poel sits at 75kg according to the webs............Bernal at 60kg

So the 360w can be stupid crazy or way too little.

Edited by Spinnekop
Correction

2 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

But what does he weigh?

Van der Poel sits at 75kg according to the webs............Bernal at 50kg?

72Kg, if I recall correctly 

edit: He’s on a conti team that has raced WT events.

Edited by Frosty
He’s a conti rider in a few WT events

Still crazy high compared to us mortals.

I wonder how long us mere mortals will be able to suck wheel in the bunch before getting dropped.......

I think you need to define “pro” first before we go any further.

In SA nowadays people regard themselves as “pro” just because they have changed their FB title followed by the usual array of motivational quotes daily (usually from youngsters with zero life experience ????).

Or their lbs is given them stock at cost price plus a free GU or 2.

I too will be turning pro from tomorrow.Expect change in my FB status and daily quotes to follow.

59 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Still crazy high compared to us mortals.

I wonder how long us mere mortals will be able to suck wheel in the bunch before getting dropped.......

I think about as long as it will take me to say "suck wheeeeeel"... dropped!! ????

I believe the difference in power/FTP is biggest between us normal people than between the top of the amateurs and the WT pros, it  is irrelevant trying to compare "us mere mortals" to them, as some of us will have an FTP of 190 or 200 for 80kgs and others will have FTPs of 350 for 70kg.

What makes their numbers so crazy is when you know how hard it is to get those extra increments of 10w once you've reached a certain level  like say 5.6w/kg over 20mins, since it's the limit between cat A and cat A+ on zwiftpower. It's already hard to get there, but then from there it becomes extremely hard to keep improving.

But also keep in mind that they train 20/25hrs on a normal week and their easy week is probably your hard week (say 12/14hr).

It's funny to look at their numbers sometimes but irrelevant to try and compare to them, don't hurt yourselves ;)

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

But what does he weigh?

Van der Poel sits at 75kg according to the webs............Bernal at 60kg

Vettie

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I couldn’t find a suitable thread to post the following, so let’s try keep this to the topic of comparing the a WT pro to the rest of us mere mortals.

I was listening to the TrainerRoad podcasts, where one pro sent them a query on getting dropped, and what he should be doing to ensure he doesn’t get dropped. 

These guys have extremely long podcasts, so you can skip to 1h36 to listen to David’s story.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/ask-a-cycling-coach-podcast-presented-by-trainerroad/id1035433041?i=1000521623523

in summary, his FTP is 420W, but after a few hours at 360W (he calls it traveling speed) he gets dropped, despite having high peak power outputs. 

It puts the level of a WT pro into perspective compared to the rest of us.

if the weight is correct and he has a ftp of 5.8wkg he is average for WT and a classics/ sprinter type rider. With that being said if he is unable to go with a move when it counts then there is something else at Play. Like he is not metabolically efficient, his nutritional intake is not ideal or he does little or no key quality work. Amongst other variables. 

I know riders who have similar power and make the splits when it counts. 

In closing, the difference between WT and anyone else is nothing that many really understand. The level in the WT Peloton is incredible and what they do on bike regardless of numbers produced. 

As you said its perspective. 

1 hour ago, stringbean said:

I think you need to define “pro” first before we go any further.

In SA nowadays people regard themselves as “pro” just because they have changed their FB title followed by the usual array of motivational quotes daily (usually from youngsters with zero life experience ????).

Or their lbs is given them stock at cost price plus a free GU or 2.

I too will be turning pro from tomorrow.Expect change in my FB status and daily quotes to follow.

I know the thread title says Pro vs us, but my original post definitely  mentions WT Pro. I’m not going to edit the title, but this topic is about them vs us, and keeping it in perspective.

There’s no point trying to compare, but it does make for some interesting reading/listening.

26 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I believe the difference in power/FTP is biggest between us normal people than between the top of the amateurs and the WT pros, it  is irrelevant trying to compare "us mere mortals" to them, as some of us will have an FTP of 190 or 200 for 80kgs and others will have FTPs of 350 for 70kg.

What makes their numbers so crazy is when you know how hard it is to get those extra increments of 10w once you've reached a certain level  like say 5.6w/kg over 20mins, since it's the limit between cat A and cat A+ on zwiftpower. It's already hard to get there, but then from there it becomes extremely hard to keep improving.

But also keep in mind that they train 20/25hrs on a normal week and their easy week is probably your hard week (say 12/14hr).

It's funny to look at their numbers sometimes but irrelevant to try and compare to them, don't hurt yourselves ;)

12-14 hours? That’s an epic week for me at the moment. ????

there is a lad in my cycle club, he is knocking about in the top top amateur ranks in the UK. Just needs a lil luck and assistance to land a pro gig. 

The lad is a phenomenal machine. I have no idea of his power outputs but he drops me like a stone within a quarter mile, in fact he drops the entire club in a mile. 

The difference in ability is like me racing 46. its worlds apart. 

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

there is a lad in my cycle club, he is knocking about in the top top amateur ranks in the UK. Just needs a lil luck and assistance to land a pro gig. 

The lad is a phenomenal machine. I have no idea of his power outputs but he drops me like a stone within a quarter mile, in fact he drops the entire club in a mile. 

The difference in ability is like me racing 46. its worlds apart. 

*comic sans font* but does he Zwift?