Pros vs the rest of us

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

is this true? like you rode with him on a team for a season or something?

He was out here with the Kazakh national team, and my team here rode with them almost daily for a month or two.

21 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

is this true? like you rode with him on a team for a season or something?

Yes! I was thinking the same thing. @TNT1 you can't drop that and then leave us hanging. 

I "rode" with Ganna the other day. I was on my rollers watching the giro TT. I averaged 33kph and he average north of 56kph for the same period of time. Luckily for him I wasn't going all out, saving myself for some of the mountain stages. 

15 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

He was out here with the Kazakh national team, and my team here rode with them almost daily for a month or two.

mid nineties. so peak evening primrose oil stage?

27 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

mid nineties. so peak evening primrose oil stage?

Some of the guys were just never out of breath, no matter how hard they rode...

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Some of the guys were just never out of breath, no matter how hard they rode...

I'm waiting for the strip club team meetings and russian bear wrestling stories first before verifying any of this as fact.

back on topic. sjoe G Bennet is under 60kg, he would never have made it in rugbyland.

I often use an inverted power curve approach where I focus on how long I can hold x Watts (as opposed to how much can I hold for x min). Using pro W/kg is quite interesting. Moving the needle on max time at 6W/kg is incredibly hard, but I had some joy this season with 5.5W/kg and 5W/kg.

Ok, so it's apparent that this weekend warrior will never have those numbers...

Time to move on.?

Perhaps Khabib's available for a few rounds, or maybe I can take Tiger on the mashie course at the River Club or the Elite of any other sport maybe. ????

Lol

for comfort, I always tell myself that in order to be exceptional in one thing you have to suck at many other things.

So if I cant in my wildest dream ever produce at least 5 watts/kg then  I am sure i can out bench them all at the gym 

and at the same time i am sure I can outclimb hafthor bjornsson on any bike ????

Edited by YaseenEnos

I recall seeing some pro times on Strava for a popular hill TT in my area, its 3.7km / 340m of climbing and their times are twice as quick as mine.....and they were doing it as part of the tour de suisse, so definitely not going 100%

Nice to, but pointless to try compare ???? kind of like comparing a greyhound to a St Bernard

40 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

I recall seeing some pro times on Strava for a popular hill TT in my area, its 3.7km / 340m of climbing and their times are twice as quick as mine.....and they were doing it as part of the tour de suisse, so definitely not going 100%

Nice to, but pointless to try compare ???? kind of like comparing a greyhound to a St Bernard

This reminds me of when I was living in the UK and myself and few friends had a friendly bet over who would be the first to do a sub 20-minute 5km parkrun. At about the same time, an English athlete ran our local parkrun in 13:48. No amount of training, coaching and diet would have ever gotten me to that level. Eventually you hit your genetic ceiling, so pick your parents carefully.  

6 hours ago, NickGM said:

This reminds me of when I was living in the UK and myself and few friends had a friendly bet over who would be the first to do a sub 20-minute 5km parkrun. At about the same time, an English athlete ran our local parkrun in 13:48. No amount of training, coaching and diet would have ever gotten me to that level. Eventually you hit your genetic ceiling, so pick your parents carefully.  

I know the feeling, when I lived in SA I had a friend who was a springbok and world champion duathlete, we ran for the same club.... he used to run the 8k TT in 24 minutes, which was also the route record. He was skin, bone and muscle.... no fat and weighed about 60 kg and still looked strong and healthy

On 5/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, IceCreamMan said:

The lad is a phenomenal machine. I have no idea of his power outputs but he drops me like a stone within a quarter mile, in fact he drops the entire club in a mile. 

@Pure Savage this sounds familiar?