Fox fork: conversion from remote lock-out to manual

Steven Holmes

Hey guys,

I have a 2016 Fox 32 factory float FIT4 fork which has a remote lock-out.

I would like to remove the remote lockout functionality and replace it with a manual topcap.

I have been getting mixed responses on how I would need to do this.

My LBS says I need to replace the forks damper in order to do the conversion (at a cost of R1,600).

My google research seems to say all I need to do is to replace the interface topcap, which I can purchase from CWC for R590. 

See link Fox TopCap Interface | CWC (cwcycles.co.za)

Below is the guide which shows how to do a conversion from non-remote to remote. Thus, the opposite should also be true:

2016-2017 Performance Series FIT4 Remote Conversion | Bike Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)

Can anyone advise?

9 hours ago, Steven Holmes said:

Hey guys,

I would like to remove the remote lockout functionality and replace it with a manual topcap.

My LBS says I need to replace the forks damper in order to do the conversion (at a cost of R1,600).

My google research seems to say all I need to do is to replace the interface topcap, which I can purchase from CWC for R590. 

Below is the guide which shows how to do a conversion from non-remote to remote. Thus, the opposite should also be true:

2016-2017 Performance Series FIT4 Remote Conversion | Bike Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)

Can anyone advise?

you're correct about just the interface ( stop going to that LBS ) however the naual lock needs an addtion of a spring and ball bearing that give the "clicks" as you cycle through the modes ( these are not present in remote systems cause they can cause friction ) 

Cogent will be able to do the conversion very quick , same day if you're lucky depending upon lead time 

Contact Justin at CycleWorx in Rustenburg. He replaced my Fox remote lock out with a manual lockout last year. Great service????????

I bought a 2nd hand Fox 32 from a fellow hubber, but the Lockout switch was missing... Solution

1. I cut a piece and shaped a of Aluminium
  2. removed the spring under the CTD cap
  3. and used the cable Clamp screw to clamp the piece of aluminium.

Not the most elegant, but it works well and instead of having 3 positions you can have it anywhare betwen Lockout and Full Open. 

I can make you one for free and you can collect or pay postage

IMG_20210519_203407.jpg

Edited by AdamA
Picture

13 hours ago, AdamA said:

instead of having 3 positions you can have it anywhare betwen Lockout and Full Open. 

Not quite - the compression damper has a flow divider with 3 distinct settings, which is why the detents are there. The older RL and RLC were infinitely adjustable, but CTD and FIT4 are not.

OP - if the top of your damper has space for a detent ball and spring, the kit you've linked to will work. If not, you'll need to replace the compression assembly to do it properly. You don't say where you're based, but if you're in CT bring it round and I'll let you know what your options are.

16 hours ago, Steven Holmes said:

Hey guys,

Can anyone advise?

be handy to know where you are based

solutions are geographic dependent