Electric bike vs road manual road bike

panlakuk

1. What would be an good affordable electric bike as opposed to a road bike? Also what would be a an affordable road bike and would it preferable to buy a new one as opposed to a second hand?

What do you mean as opposed to a road bike?

Are you asking between an e-mtb and a road bike, or an e-road bike and a road bike?

Edited by TNT1

Welcome to the Hub

These are two widely different questions. :whistling:

- ebikes - 

Darrvin is a good starting point for affordable decent ebikes - https://darrvinshop.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg6ClgI3Y8AIVCOrtCh0X2QT9EAAYASAAEgKLv_D_BwE

They have some really nice options for "commuter bikes".

- road bikes -

this is a totally different topic !!  Few weeks back I rode with two road bikes, me on an ebike.  Healthy riders on road bikes easily exceed the "speed assist" levels of an ebike !!  On the up-hill sections I took the lead and they slipped streamed .... it was an interesting ride, highlighting just how different these bikes are !!  The first proper downhill section they left me for dead. :P

May I recommend that you think about what YOU want from cycling, and what your health allows, as you were asking about an ebike.  An ebike DO open a whole new world for those of us with bust knees, or whatever other ailment that may preclude hard rides on a normal bike.  BUT, then you need to be realistic about the limitations.

As for recommendations on which road bike ... that I will leave for those with experience on these wrap around bars, else I may just recommend a full suspension bike with wide bars .... :cursing:

Best wishes with this journey :thumbup:

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Welcome to the Hub

These are two widely different questions. :whistling:

- ebikes - 

Darrvin is a good starting point for affordable decent ebikes - https://darrvinshop.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg6ClgI3Y8AIVCOrtCh0X2QT9EAAYASAAEgKLv_D_BwE

They have some really nice options for "commuter bikes".

- road bikes -

this is a totally different topic !!  Few weeks back I rode with two road bikes, me on an ebike.  Healthy riders on road bikes easily exceed the "speed assist" levels of an ebike !!  On the up-hill sections I took the lead and they slipped streamed .... it was an interesting ride, highlighting just how different these bikes are !!  The first proper downhill section they left me for dead. :P

May I recommend that you think about what YOU want from cycling, and what your health allows, as you were asking about an ebike.  An ebike DO open a whole new world for those of us with bust knees, or whatever other ailment that may preclude hard rides on a normal bike.  BUT, then you need to be realistic about the limitations.

As for recommendations on which road bike ... that I will leave for those with experience on these wrap around bars, else I may just recommend a full suspension bike with wide bars .... :cursing:

Best wishes with this journey :thumbup:

damn Chris

you need to get that e bike chipped then you can drop them on the downhill's as well

its relatively cheap

about R 4500

2 hours ago, rorydewet said:

damn Chris

you need to get that e bike chipped then you can drop them on the downhill's as well

its relatively cheap

about R 4500

Hiehie ..... Wil jy nou vir Jackie n hartaanval gee ..... :whistling:

When you "need"  the motor at those speeds you use a lot of battery .....

Dropping my average speed by about 5km/h results in about 50% increase in range.

Which is why it important for the OP to understand WHAT he wants to use the bike for .... IF he even wants an ebike ....

For commuting I USE the assist in the morning.  I do get a bit of a workout, but dont get all sweaty ....  In the afternoon I use minimal assist and work those pedals, best way to get rid of the day's issues.  Weekend rides are a different mind set.  As nice as it is was to ride with those road bikes, I am happy ride that little bit slower and enjoying the scenery.  On my own I often stop for photos, when riding in a group your concentration is on the wheel ahead of you .....

2 hours ago, rorydewet said:

its relatively cheap

about R 4500

eish. My bike is an older model, there's no input validation on the wheel circumference, so it thinks it has a 15" wheel hahahaa

I only ever hit speeds high enough to benefit from that "hack" when I'm on the roads heading home from the trails.

My cycling friend has a newer ebike that is speed restricted and it irritates him no end that I'm unrestricted - doesn't help that I'm also stronger than him (I always wait though). I recently 3D-printed a cool thing for his bike to unrestrict it.

Screenshot from 2021-05-20 17-19-37.png

Edited by aquaratza

1 minute ago, aquaratza said:

eish. My bike is an older model, no input validation on the wheel circumference, so it thinks it has a 15" wheel hahahaa

I only ever hit speeds high enough to benefit from that "hack" when I'm on the roads heading home from the trails.

My cycling friend has a newer ebike that is speed restricted and it irritates him no end that I'm unrestricted. I recently 3D-printed a cool thing for his bike to unrestrict it.

Jip, older bikes (like mine) are very easy to de-restrict  .... one cable tie and a few minutes is all it takes. 

Just not what I want from a bicycle ....

As I said, it's not so useful on the trails, I don't have a death wish ;) but it is useful to get back home and of course you can only really use it if you have been good and not blown your battery on the trails.

Oh how the times are changing

2 years ago if guys on here debated e-bikes or mentioned e-bikes out came the pitch forks and the mobs had their say

now we are  3 guys debating the merits etc of e bikes with chips that derestrict the speed

seems the hate for e bikes is fading

I hope this post however doesn't wake the sleeping dog