Tips on Selling your house

Gen

If it's priced right it will sell.

On the timing issue - there seems to be a massive backlog at the deeds offices all around the country due to covid restrictions etc.

On average deals are taking 4 months from the time the OTP is signed till registration at the deeds office.

They can always pay occupational rent should you wish to move out and it hasn't registered yet. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there has been quite a bit of enquiries since the sign went up and people will be coming round, when exactly I donno but the house still looks pretty and smells nice.. So I'm here waiting ????

I had a weirdo apparent estate agent stop by my house. But sent him away.  That one was a straight up conman . He didn't get past the front gate... 

Edited by Gen

On 6/14/2021 at 3:20 PM, Skott5 said:

If it's priced right it will sell.

On the timing issue - there seems to be a massive backlog at the deeds offices all around the country due to covid restrictions etc.

On average deals are taking 4 months from the time the OTP is signed till registration at the deeds office.

They can always pay occupational rent should you wish to move out and it hasn't registered yet. 

On our deal, to make it work seller wanted us in the house immediately. So we agreed no occupational rent :) 

This whole month has been such a roller coaster. once its all done will have a long post about it.

2 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

MY WIFE IS PUTTING STAY SOFT IN THE DRAINS AND MY BIKE IS NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE COUCH

????

I have the bath salt down the drain strategy. 

After two years of having out place in the market we finally sold it. Privately I might add. 

After 6 offers falling through due to either not getting finance or the buyer ghosting the deal we decided to kick all the agents out. 

As a photographer I staged the house and took all the photos myself. Editing is key to make sure everything looks catalog perfect. 

We are finally moving out of the "hood" and into a house that is technically too big for us (600sqm), but finally having a garage again and a dedicated gym, bike room, and two offices for working from home is something I can no longer wait for. 

All the effort and hard work was worth it. 

Not looking forward to sorting out wifi for all that space.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, Pure Savage said:

Here we go if anyone wants to buy the Savage HQ. 

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/claremont/cape-town/western-cape/11741/110071550

I thought my Supersix was a selling point, but the took it off the couch for the photos. :(

Your agent did a great job on the vid ... love how they come in low on the beds as very often this is always shot from high and then the rooms feel small ... this gives a good sense of space.

BTW ... go straighten the loo roll in the guest WC please.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:17 AM, ouzo said:

100%

With our plans to move to Cape Town we decided to get an estimated value on our place so we know what price bracket to look at in CT.

Incidentally and estate agent phoned me around the time, so I mentioned what we wanted and they said they would phone on the monday and setup an appointment. 3 months later still no phone call.

At the same time I clicked on a link on FB with information about around selling and buying, as usual there is no free lunch and in order to get the info you needed to provide contact details. I did this.

The next day I got a call, I told the agent our intentions and we setup an appointment.

We were blown away, even though she knew we just wanted an estimate for now and this is something that will only happen 6-12 months later, she came prepared. She not only had all the past sale info on our place, but also similar places in the area all presented in a bound presentation with lots of useful info. She clearly did some homework before she got there.

After we took her through the house we chatted and she gave some good advise, even giving us a contact for an agent in CT. She then went back, did more homework and a day later phoned me with a realistic price range to expect. 

Cape Town, cool man ... where roughly you looking and when roughly are you expecting to move down?

On 6/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, Gen said:

It's great that she sold so fast... I'll probably be sobbing everytime I see the sign for some time????

Yeah it's difficult.. I didn't want to buy the house  but at the time it made sense.. We had moved back to the dorp and needed to buy and my mom couldn't  live alone in the big place so we bought it... There was also the conversation my dad had with my husband (his big son as he'd call him) "will you'll take care of my wife when I'm gone"  they were very close, a case of the father he should've had but never did.  I still thi k hubby married me for my dad????????

Over the years we made it our own and it became less my dad's house and more my house.. But the memories remain. 

I'm just going to be crying over here all day... Don't mind me????

After my dad died I refused to play Nessun Dorma on the piano again.. It was just too hard for me.. Whenever it played somewhere the family would rush to turn it down or skip it as to avoid me breaking down in tears.. 

But it is time. 

Sorry for the bit of emotional share.. Friday and all. 

20210611_092916.jpg

Sorry .. could not read to the end. .... a splinter got stuck in my eye right next to the spec of dust and caused them to water up.

8 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Cape Town, cool man ... where roughly you looking and when roughly are you expecting to move down?

time frame and location are all down to when and where I find work. 

Location wise we are rather keen on Somerset West / Strand area. Schooling wise (now and in the future) it seems to offer the better options, house size for money wise it also appears to offer better value in our budget.

I was hoping to be down there already, but I've taken a step back to find some direction workwise, so hopefully before year end we'll be down there.

10 minutes ago, ouzo said:

time frame and location are all down to when and where I find work. 

Location wise we are rather keen on Somerset West / Strand area. Schooling wise (now and in the future) it seems to offer the better options, house size for money wise it also appears to offer better value in our budget.

I was hoping to be down there already, but I've taken a step back to find some direction workwise, so hopefully before year end we'll be down there.

Best wishes!

At least from Slummies / Strand you are close to some exceptional mountain biking trails and the world universe renowned Perigrine Springbok pies and their raw apple juice!

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Best wishes!

At least from Slummies / Strand you are close to some exceptional mountain biking trails and the world universe renowned Perigrine Springbok pies and their raw apple juice!

I've been looking at what is available in the general area. Some great road rides, but plenty of trails too. Really hoping that with the move in work and house I have a budget for a slightly more modern MTB than my 1999 26"er Giant. I'd love to get my wife and daughters out on the trails regularly.

53 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

After two years of having out place in the market we finally sold it. Privately I might add. 

After 6 offers falling through due to either not getting finance or the buyer ghosting the deal we decided to kick all the agents out. 

As a photographer I staged the house and took all the photos myself. Editing is key to make sure everything looks catalog perfect. 

We are finally moving out of the "hood" and into a house that is technically too big for us (600sqm), but finally having a garage again and a dedicated gym, bike room, and two offices for working from home is something I can no longer wait for. 

Argh I am having problems as we speak. Been having issues for about 2 weeks now. Went for ages with no issues but all of a sudden my extender(in the lounge) is playing up. It is connecting itself to the router no problem but then when our phones hook onto it we just get an exclamation next to wifi picture and of course no network. If I go closer to the router and connect to it, there is no issues but the lounge is too far from that for decent signal. Need to look into it this weekend because the kids like to watch youtube every now and then and all they get now is a big "no network" picture on the tv.

37 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Argh I am having problems as we speak. Been having issues for about 2 weeks now. Went for ages with no issues but all of a sudden my extender(in the lounge) is playing up. It is connecting itself to the router no problem but then when our phones hook onto it we just get an exclamation next to wifi picture and of course no network. If I go closer to the router and connect to it, there is no issues but the lounge is too far from that for decent signal. Need to look into it this weekend because the kids like to watch youtube every now and then and all they get now is a big "no network" picture on the tv.

I bought a TP-Link Wifi Mesh system on sale. 3 access points that create a seamless network throughout the house. 

The fibre box was installed today in the lounge which is more or less in the front of the house covering the garage, bike room, lounge, and gym. 

The second unit will be in the kitchen that covers the two offices, kitchen. 

The third will be in the master bedroom to cover all the bedroom and then finish triangulation with the lounge AP again. 

That is theory anyways. 

reach.jpg.15f3a337f52bcfacb0150c1b23a76303.jpg

Edited by Steady Spin

On 6/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, Gen said:

It's great that she sold so fast... I'll probably be sobbing everytime I see the sign for some time????

Yeah it's difficult.. I didn't want to buy the house  but at the time it made sense.. We had moved back to the dorp and needed to buy and my mom couldn't  live alone in the big place so we bought it... There was also the conversation my dad had with my husband (his big son as he'd call him) "will you'll take care of my wife when I'm gone"  they were very close, a case of the father he should've had but never did.  I still thi k hubby married me for my dad????????

Over the years we made it our own and it became less my dad's house and more my house.. But the memories remain. 

I'm just going to be crying over here all day... Don't mind me????

After my dad died I refused to play Nessun Dorma on the piano again.. It was just too hard for me.. Whenever it played somewhere the family would rush to turn it down or skip it as to avoid me breaking down in tears.. 

But it is time. 

Sorry for the bit of emotional share.. Friday and all. 

20210611_092916.jpg

Nessun Dorma was my grandpa's favourite as well. I have been playing it some recently and it just seems to bring a peace over me when I hear it. My mom also could not hear it for many years after his passing.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:57 PM, Steady Spin said:

Wifi will be dead simple, just get 2x Ubiquiti unifi's and you will never have wifi issues again.

They look cool too :)