947 RideJoburg route

eddy

I got sent the new route, and it will be a bit tougher that any of the recent ones.

It starts at Nasrec, finds it way to the M1 to Woodmead, round Kyalami, down Main road past Leeukop prison and then along last year's route up through Bryanston, Jan Smuts into Braamfontein and back to FNB stadium.

The last 45km, from the river crossing below Leeukop to the finish is almost all uphill, with very little respite.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So nicely put in their message.....  I doubt I will even be looking at the views as I curse to myself. 

The latter half of the route is quite hilly, but the views of Joburg’s leafy tree-lined streets are well worth the effort.

4 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

It's gonna be a very tough second half.

I really liked the "old" route which was mostly downhill once you made it half way.

As of this moment, I like this one since the start is that much closer. 

I honestly can’t see how this is any harder than before. It’s actually less elevation gain than 2019, and with a prevailing wind it will be a tailwind for most of the second half.

The Steyn City, Cedar Road and Malibongwe undulations are out, as is Heartbreak Hill and that other bump shortly after. This is replaced by Main Street and a bump after Soweto and up to the M1.

29 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I honestly can’t see how this is any harder than before. It’s actually less elevation gain than 2019, and with a prevailing wind it will be a tailwind for most of the second half.

The Steyn City, Cedar Road and Malibongwe undulations are out, as is Heartbreak Hill and that other bump shortly after. This is replaced by Main Street and a bump after Soweto and up to the M1.

Yup, flat route.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

flat(ish)

When I was a nominal pro at best, my one team mate used to joke that to find a hill in gauteng you needed to look for a highway overpass.

I will agree that unless you pop, there's no hill in GP that even needs a small chainring on a road bike. (is Suikerbosrand in GP? I might have a proviso...)

Edited by TNT1

22 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

When I was a nominal pro at best, my one team mate used to joke that to find a hill in gauteng you needed to look for a highway overpass.

I will agree that unless you pop, there's no hill in GP that even needs a small chainring on a road bike. (is Suikerbosrand in GP? I might have a proviso...)

One day when I'm big I hope I'm as cool as you ????

29 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

some of us mere mortals need a granny gear, leave us alone please.

8 hours ago, eddy said:

I got sent the new route, and it will be a bit tougher that any of the recent ones.

It starts at Nasrec, finds it way to the M1 to Woodmead, round Kyalami, down Main road past Leeukop prison and then along last year's route up through Bryanston, Jan Smuts into Braamfontein and back to FNB stadium.

The last 45km, from the river crossing below Leeukop to the finish is almost all uphill, with very little respite.

https://ridejoburg.co.za/event/947-ride-joburg-mtb-2021/ the MTB is kinda short...