947 RideJoburg route

eddy

On 5/21/2021 at 4:14 PM, TNT1 said:

When I was a nominal pro at best, my one team mate used to joke that to find a hill in gauteng you needed to look for a highway overpass.

I will agree that unless you pop, there's no hill in GP that even needs a small chainring on a road bike. (is Suikerbosrand in GP? I might have a proviso...)

Yes. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah im glad steyn city is out. Those speed bumbs were no good. The new route does not look bad. But seeing the race track doesnt mean giving it your everything yet. Lol. All that is added is 2km extra. One of these days it will go for a full 100km

So am pondering whether to ride the event not on a road bike. 3 choices - " standard" SS alum frame with drop bars, BMX, or Qhubheka Buffalo Bike. I'm leaning towards the Buffalo, because why not.

Any idea if they are for sale to the general public? And I am out of my mind ????

4 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

So am pondering whether to ride the event not on a road bike. 3 choices - " standard" SS alum frame with drop bars, BMX, or Qhubheka Buffalo Bike. I'm leaning towards the Buffalo, because why not.

Any idea if they are for sale to the general public? And I am out of my mind ????

Make contact with the guys arranging the Qhubeka Charity group at 947. (I can PM you the details. I believe Chris is the main contact) They can arrange a Buffalo Bike for you for the day. Plus, you will be helping out their fundraising. 

15 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Make contact with the guys arranging the Qhubeka Charity group at 947. (I can PM you the details. I believe Chris is the main contact) They can arrange a Buffalo Bike for you for the day. Plus, you will be helping out their fundraising. 

This. And yeah, as far as I know Chris is the main contact.

Also if you are feeling super enthusiastic, the Qhubeka double lap group has a bunch of people who do the first lap on their road bikes and then the second lap on a Buffalo bike (I wasn't brave enough and did both laps on my road bike).

4 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Thanks worked well.

remember this is my interpretation of the route based on the basic map they gave on the website, so may not be 100% accurate.

It seems as if the organizers have done away with their attempt at a hosting the 'short" ride - may deter some people form entering and a pity. I suspect it may have attracted quite a few entries the time it was offered. I remember many of my mates were making comments on the issues they had with the transfer of their bikes from the finish back to the starting point - apparently some chaos? Any views?

• 2 months later...

I entered this event as motivation to get on my bike again and to start riding.   I hope it will still happen and that it will be worth it.   It will be my 3rd time doing it.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

I don't see your name on the leaderboard? 
I haven't cycled there yet, what's your excuse? ????

Each time we go up there we stop and take photos and just enjoy the little climb.
(I am too fat to give a go at anything over 2% gradient these days.  ????)

2021-07-21 (24).JPG

2021-07-21 (26).JPG

2020-06-27 07.40.46.jpg

Looks amazing! I'd like to go & give it a go.

Have you ever been shot at though? ????

2021-08-26 11_13_13-1450 Merwede St - Google Maps.jpg