Cape Town Gravel Bike Routes

johanhorak

Hi

We have a Facebook group on cycle touring in Southern Africa.

Kimberley Jacobs joined the other day and asked, 

I will be traveling to South Africa (staying in Cape Town) from July 22-August 3. And I will be bringing my gravel bike. I would love to connect with some people in the area and maybe do some rides.

I suggested she get out of the city to Stellenbosch, others side of Durbanville etc. 

Can she do parts, easy bits of Tokai and Table Mountain - if her gravel bike can do it? 

Let me know what I can tell her. 

Regards Johan 

Nice of you to assist here, will follow this thread with interest, since lots of experience on here, and will check out the Facebook page.

chris

I used to ride Newlands forest to lower tokai on a hard tail. It's all blue routes with bits of technical stuff mixed in. The greenbelt, Southern cross to lower tokai would be doable on a gravel bike. Constantia nek to Kirstenboch  would also be doable on a gravel bike depending on how far you go. If she is really adventurous she could probably do the whole route but there are a few places that might be a bit difficult.  

Edited by Newbie321

If she's never been to Cape Town she should tick off all the classic road routes around the peninsula including a trip into Cape Point reserve plus a ride up Signal Hill & Tafelberg rd. Hacking around the greenbelt on a gravel bike if you've never ridden Chappies would be sacrilege!

Edited by NC_lurker
Spelling

A few questions:

How far would she like to ride each day? Is she riding with others? Would she be interested in multi-day bike packing? Will she have a car to drive to the start?

One can find some gravel in places like Tokai, Jonkerhoek etc.

But if one is willing to stretch the legs, there are great roads out towards Greyton and surrounds in the south, and then the Cederberg, Tankwa Karoo, Sutherland area. It may be really cold in late July though.

If you could give us a ball park of what she is after, I can recommend a few routes.

(If she is keen on longer multiday stuff, the Slingsby maps are great for planning).

On 5/22/2021 at 1:00 PM, NC_lurker said:

If she's never been to Cape Town she should tick off all the classic road routes around the peninsula including a trip into Cape Point reserve plus a ride up Signal Hill & Tafelberg rd. Hacking around the greenbelt on a gravel bike if you've never ridden Chappies would be sacrilege!

True. I'll be send he here. ???? 

On 5/22/2021 at 2:33 PM, Baracuda said:

A few questions:

How far would she like to ride each day? Is she riding with others? Would she be interested in multi-day bike packing? Will she have a car to drive to the start?

One can find some gravel in places like Tokai, Jonkerhoek etc.

But if one is willing to stretch the legs, there are great roads out towards Greyton and surrounds in the south, and then the Cederberg, Tankwa Karoo, Sutherland area. It may be really cold in late July though.

If you could give us a ball park of what she is after, I can recommend a few routes.

(If she is keen on longer multiday stuff, the Slingsby maps are great for planning).

Good questions. She should answer these. I send this link to her. Appreciated. ✌️