Daryl Impey Ruta del Sol stage 5 crash

SwissVan

3EEE33FD-10B2-4847-811F-3A206712F9D7.jpeg.73b332b946bc4f4b51774929a7fa6e26.jpeg

https://youtu.be/RM9NWpbNTLU

Reporting from Ruta Del Sol final stage: 

The race seems so irrelevant, so unimportant, so far from our thoughts. 

That’s the feeling shared by all of us this evening, especially by the teammates of ISN’s Daryl Impey in Ruta del Sol.

Our South African leader was involved in a crash meters from the finish line. 

We were relieved that he was conscious and that most of the impact from the crash was on his body and not the head; it was still painful to see the TV replays from the finish. 

Daryl was going for that victory, sprinting ahead, when Team BikeExchange’s Robert Stannard caught up with him, and just as they were arm-to-arm they collided and crashed. 

While Stannard got back on his feet quickly, Daryl remained on the ground, obviously struck. He was taken to the hospital to have his injuries examined but thankfully escaped head injuries. 

His teammates felt Daryl’s pain, such an admired and popular leader on the team. James Piccoli, who finished 8th overall, said:

“It was a shame that we ended such a great week with some bad luck. We wish Daryl all the best, and I hope he heals up quickly and is back at it soon. He’s so great for the team morale to have at races, and we’re definitely all hoping he will recover quickly.” 

The reasons for the crash seem like an afterthought with little value. Stannard later stated in his Team BikeExchange race report, that “it’s part of racing and I don't think it's anyone’s fault.” 

Our sports director, Oscar Guerrero, echoed that sentiment, saying, “These things happen and there is no one to blame. It was so painful to watch and we all wish Daryl the best.”

And Daryl?

Well, as you can expect from our Veteran leader, he took it all in a stride:

“Crashes are part of this sport. You always go hard for the win. I will be fine.“

Pictures: Bettini photo

Edited by SwissVan
Add pic

33 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Clearly moved his line as he realised he was going to be passed, causing them both to crash.

If this was Bouhanni.....

Was a pretty slow moderate deviation 

if it was boo boo it would have been spiteful and deliberate 

59 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Clearly moved his line as he realised he was going to be passed, causing them both to crash.

I disagree, it was a slow line deviation and he didn't even look back to see he was going to be overtaken he looks forward up until he crashed.

1 hour ago, Patchelicious said:

I disagree there, he just moved further away sure with the idea of caution qs it is a finish and things tend to get messy and if you look again if he had gone straight ahead you'll notice that he would have been way to close to the rider ahead.

He deviates, but is it clear whether intentional or indeed to cause deliberate obstruction.?

Could one argue that there was still space on the left but Stannard bulldozed straight into Impey instead.?

I think with neither rider making much of it this will likely blow over ...