5 Bikes Stolen

SLEASK

24 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Also I have 4 slide bolts on my garage door on the inside. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. That skelm must really wanna get in and f@k up the door to gain entry. The bolts get locked when the door is closed, whether I am home or not.

Same. It's a good cheap solution.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Now there's an idea I never thought of. I will be doing the same. Thanks for this. Currently I live across from an open veld that leads into uninhabited bush alongside the R27 and despite electric fencing I reckon my garage door is a weak point.

Yeah, I added the slide bolts after I saw how my friends door got rolled up from one corner. Also, I didnt check, but this should constitute as a very well locked door, so should be insurance friendly.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

So sorry for your loss. 

I experienced a similar misfortune earlier this year where two MTB's were taken from my garage in Centurion. Definitely specifically targeted the bikes. 

I have also since been battling with the question as to where all the stolen bikes go to. At this rate, every second commuter in our neighboring countries is riding a top-end bike.

Question: if so, how do you guys secure (lock) your bikes in the garage? 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Sorry for your loss. I hope your insurance pays out seeing as your alarm was not activated. They like to cling on to these types of facts as mitigation of risk. All you need to do is to replace the alarm's 12V battery to stop it from constantly going off when load shedding is around. The load on the battery runs low during the constant load shedding cycles and results in the battery having insufficient power when the power comes back on again and this somehow triggers the alarm. I had the same issue in 2019 and when I went to get a new battery I literally bought the last one, and while I was paying I had three guys try to buy if off me making stupid offers. I stuck to my guns and left with the battery. The lady at the counter told me they sold over 500 batteries in the preceding 3 days.

It's for this reason I don't declare an alarm system. It does not decrease your premium really and the consequences of it being off when your have a robbery are far greater

1 minute ago, Stretch said:

/It's for this reason I don't declare an alarm system. It does not decrease your premium really and the consequences of it being off when your have a robbery are far greater

Yes I have since heard from a friend he also did not declare his alarm and his premium is R19/month more expensive. 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

that sucks big time. sorry to hear.

on the strava thing, it's possible. do you have the home exclusion zone setting activated? It blanks out an area of a radius around where you live, to stop this sort of thing.

It is a good function, but still not perfect, if you run/ride enough from home a mean coordinate of all the endpoints gets you to within a few houses and the more end points the more accurate it gets. My 2c. If it doesn't need to be publicly seen, don't have it as publicly seen. Also it is often easily bypassed where someone has a ride visible on another platform(garmin, suunto, training peaks, intervals etc) which can be traced. I mean I have been privy to race routes that were 'hidden' because organiser hadn't hidden all sources and was unaware.

28 minutes ago, Fork-it said:

Question: if so, how do you guys secure (lock) your bikes in the garage? 

Bikes live in the house, not the garage. 

Luckily the SO also rides and agrees that our training room is also bike storage and workshop. 
Two big dogs, proper burglar bars and gates, as well as alarm system keeps them safe. 

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Make sure to get pet friendly sensors. They work better as well.

Also I have 4 slide bolts on my garage door on the inside. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. That skelm must really wanna get in and f@k up the door to gain entry. The bolts get locked when the door is closed, whether I am home or not.

About this, I had a guy last week come and quote on our house. He says that I won't be able to get pet friendly sensors as my dogs (Ridgeback and Husky) will set the alarm off? 

Any advice will be welcomed here as I prefer having sensors outside (current house has sensors which don't go off, possible that they are not very sensitive hence the dogs roaming freely) but keen to hear what options I have. 

As for the OP sorry you've had to go through this and really hope your insurance settles you as painlessly as possible. 

I remember watching one of those Anton Koen vids and they just by chance saw something shiney and asked the driver about it... Lot's of eish not sure, no answers and then they unpacked a road bike that was jacked in Cape Town a few weeks before the video was taken. Now that I'm thinking about it, it could be the Rig workers bike that he's surprising his cousin with?

4 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Bikes live in the house, not the garage. 

Luckily the SO also rides and agrees that our training room is also bike storage and workshop. 
Two big dogs, proper burglar bars and gates, as well as alarm system keeps them safe. 

Lol...Years ago my motorbiked lived in the kitchen at bedtime because I was worried about theft!
We do what we have to do....

skinny robbers, look like cyclists

Takes propepr planning and they knew what they were after - not easy to fit 5 bikes in any car so they must have been ready for this job

It sucks, really sorry for your loss

I'll throw in the typically unfortunate south african upside - well, at least no one was hurt ... 

Sorry man, thats real k@k 

1 hour ago, SLEASK said:

Yes it was locked. Lock was cut and taken. 

Having gone through the same thing where bikes were taken from garage (Electrical garage door that was forced open - Not that difficult when you have 3 men lifting the door and basically wrecking the entire mechanism) I implemented the following

- Deadbolt in the door that gets locked every night (Basically I added a steel bolt in the rail the garage door's wheels run on) 

- Thick Chain and lock to secure bikes to garage wall

- Skunk pepperspray that gets triggered by motion in the garage (also activated at night) (I have activated this by accident once, in the confined space of a garage it is more than a little potent!)

There has been a few more theft attempts since then but without on success on the criminals' part

2 hours ago, SLEASK said:

I had 5 bikes stolen from my house on 20/05/2021. By the sounds of it its the same car that has stolen numerous other bikes in our area (Heidelberg) the past few months. 

What struck me about this was as seen on the video there were 4/5 robbers coming into my property at once. That must probably show that they had a good idea I have a lot of bikes. I do not suspect anyone close to me to be involved. 

Another thing I noticed is that they were specifically looking for bicycles as there were other valuables in my garage which they have not taken. 

What I was wondering if they could've used Strava to get the info as I post a lot of pics of my bikes and my Strava was not marked as private.

The other thing I wondered is what actually happens to the bikes. My Cube AMS mountain bike is as far as I'm aware only 1 of 4 in SA. 

So how would they sell these unique bikes? Or strip for second hand bicycle parts? 

I have placed my bikes on the Stolen Bikes section. 

They have stolen the below bikes. Please be on the lookout. 

Cube AMS C68 Mountain Bike

Titan Team Carbon Hardtail

Cervelo P2 TT

Rocky Mountain Vertex Carbon 950RSL

Titan Hardtail Alu bike. 

Just a heads-up; be prepared for the Fu**'s to come back in a few weeks' time to come and see whether there is a nice insurance replacement to collect 

25 minutes ago, Dadbod Racing said:

About this, I had a guy last week come and quote on our house. He says that I won't be able to get pet friendly sensors as my dogs (Ridgeback and Husky) will set the alarm off? 

Any advice will be welcomed here as I prefer having sensors outside (current house has sensors which don't go off, possible that they are not very sensitive hence the dogs roaming freely) but keen to hear what options I have. 

As for the OP sorry you've had to go through this and really hope your insurance settles you as painlessly as possible. 

I remember watching one of those Anton Koen vids and they just by chance saw something shiney and asked the driver about it... Lot's of eish not sure, no answers and then they unpacked a road bike that was jacked in Cape Town a few weeks before the video was taken. Now that I'm thinking about it, it could be the Rig workers bike that he's surprising his cousin with?

Yeah, those sensors are limited to a certain weight. I think 25 to 35Kg

53 minutes ago, Stretch said:

It's for this reason I don't declare an alarm system. It does not decrease your premium really and the consequences of it being off when your have a robbery are far greater

I hope you come right with your insurance.. This is a big loss you've had. Holding thumbs everything you get paid out

On the topic of the Stava Zone. I doubt it is that. 

Many years ago, when I was surfing twice a day......... Some random guy comes up to me on a windy day. There was probably about 10 people out. He starts talking to me and telling me, that he sees me here everyday and I must really love the sport. Well, the guy looked creepy and I was expecting to get robber.

Anyway, try to be weary, skelms watch you every move. If you have something they want, they will follow you. It has happened to me once before. Fortunately I was not in the car when they stole the spare wheel.