Indoor trainer wheel

Nestus

Hi.

I recently bought an indoor trainer and need some advice.  I use my 29er mtb on the trainer and my rear wheel rubs quite badly on the trainer causing me to burn some rubber off the tyre every time i ride.

So i was thinking of getting a training tyre but then i have to swap tyres for every ride and back when i want to ride outdoors.  Next option is to buy the cheapest rim and hub setup available to accommodate my 1 x 12 (10-51) shimano groupset.   I bought a new tyre so i have the old used one i can use on a new wheel.

Any other suggestions, or does anyone perhaps a cheap groupset and wheel combo they are willing to sell that will work for the above?

Best option is to get a spare wheel/tyre combination.

Saves the schlep of swopping tyres...you can use the same cassette and quickly swop that over

13 minutes ago, Nestus said:

Hi.

I recently bought an indoor trainer and need some advice.  I use my 29er mtb on the trainer and my rear wheel rubs quite badly on the trainer causing me to burn some rubber off the tyre every time i ride.

So i was thinking of getting a training tyre but then i have to swap tyres for every ride and back when i want to ride outdoors.  Next option is to buy the cheapest rim and hub setup available to accommodate my 1 x 12 (10-51) shimano groupset.   I bought a new tyre so i have the old used one i can use on a new wheel.

Any other suggestions, or does anyone perhaps a cheap groupset and wheel combo they are willing to sell that will work for the above?

Ya your best option will be to have a spare wheel and swop it over but the even better option (which I have been using since 2013) is to get a 26er and leave it on the trainer permanently. It will save your drivetrain and other stuff as well. If you need a training tire for the 29er I do have a Tacx lying at home which has only been used once (for an hour).  I am not going to use it so you're welcome to buy it off me

DSC_0494.JPG

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Turn the training tyre inside out..............No rubbing off and it's also a LOT more quiet !

Thank you for the advice.  Let me first see what a rim, hub and cassette is going to set me back and take it from there.  Thanks for the offers on the training wheel, i will be in touch soon.

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Ya your best option will be to have a spare wheel and swop it over but the even better option (which I have been using since 2013) is to get a 26er and leave it on the trainer permanently. It will save your drivetrain and other stuff as well. If you need a training tire for the 29er I do have a Tacx lying at home which has only been used once (for an hour).  I am not going to use it so you're welcome to buy it off me

DSC_0494.JPG

Does this 28x1.25 tyre fit on a 26er? I assumed that this was for a 27.5 wheel. I was looking for 26er trainer tyres during lockdown, but gave up. Ended up selling my trainer instead. 

2 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

Does this 28x1.25 tyre fit on a 26er? I assumed that this was for a 27.5 wheel. I was looking for 26er trainer tyres during lockdown, but gave up. Ended up selling my trainer instead. 

That trainer tyre in the pic is for a 29er

(622 means 700c/29er rim)

7 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

Nope, it's for a 29er but I had a 26er slick for you as well ????

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

but the even better option (which I have been using since 2013) is to get a 26er and leave it on the trainer permanently. It will save your drivetrain and other stuff as well.

Also running a 26er on my Wheel-on IDT. Really worth it to not mount and dismount the bike whenever you want to train indoors and then outdoors a day or two later. 

Some cheap options in the Classifieds 

IMG_20210524_210353.jpg

13 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Also running a 26er on my Wheel-on IDT. SNIP

Extra piece of info for on-wheel IDT solutions: An old road-bike rear-wheel with indoor training tyre fits in my 26er MTB frame.