Tokai - Safe to ride alone?

Phil Williams

1 minute ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Shouldn’t be too hard to find them on strava (if they have strava) if they have a decent amount of elapsed time in one spot. Challenge extended to those with strava premium 

And they are sharing their data 

1 hour ago, Phil Williams said:

Shot for the reply guys! A local has offered to show me around. Hope to see you all out on the trails #rubbersidedown ????

I'm also around the corner. Drop me a PM if you want me to show you around Tokai and the Greenbelts

I ridew alone in  Tokai almost every day and touch wood I haven't had an encounter with a hoodlum. Plenty of ladies riding in alone up in the park too. Its about as safe a place to ride as one can find in SA

Plus another safe-to-ride from me...............

............And then just to add that the reason Tokai is safe is because Tokai Mtb has worked hard to make it so. It was not always the case, but in stead of moaning and bitching, they made a plan. They raised the money through donations and sponsorships from individuals, companies and organizations, set up the people, got a vehicle, binoculars. They watch and patrol the place. They even caught some perps until the idea got through that the riders in Tokai are not easy pickings. For a good few years now, Tokai saw zero crime. On top of that, they will help injured riders down the mountain and if serious they will help the emergency services get an ambulance..........

............So thanks and respect to Tokai Mtb and the people behind it, among others, Deon and Mark, both fellow Hubbers.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:01 PM, Phil Williams said:

Are there 'dig days' for the public to help maintain the trails? I'm keen to get involved with the club. 

Currently not. But hopefully one day again in the future.
Both trail builders are lurking around on the forum.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:01 PM, Phil Williams said:

Are there 'dig days' for the public to help maintain the trails? I'm keen to get involved with the club. 

Not at the moment unfortunately, for a couple of reasons - 

The vehicle and staff spend a good part of each weekend parked in strategic spots on the mountain on the lookout for any potential criminals trying their luck and in the event of an accident or injury they have to attend to that - this Sunday there was a bad crash on DH1 that led to the staff spending two hours co-ordinating the extraction of the injured rider (everything turned out well in the end).

The next reason is a happier one - the trails are so busy on weekends at the moment if we closed one for a build day we may start a riot.

That said we are conscious of the fact that people really do want to be involved so will see if we can come up with a plan to make something happen.

Like I said, I'm keen to get involved. Hopefully the trails will be rideable this weekend so that I can have a look around! Not too keen to jol in the wet