Table Mountain, WTF??.

Trance Dance

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

You're a humorous fellow. Keep up your crusade, its the only one here. (*placing reliance on "journalism" like N24 to get the picture is like  believing the ANC is getting tough on corruption)

N24?

My quote didn't come from there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of sense being spoken but also seeing some of the entitled attitudes which are rapidly earning us cyclists a very bad name. 

We are not entitled to ride anywhere other than on public roads where we are classified as vehicles. Everywhere else we get to ride is a privilege granted by the people who either own or manage the land (be that farms, green belts, national parks, ...). We need to realise that it takes no time or money for these people to withdraw these privileges so we need to ensure that we as a community of mountain bikers, adhere to rules and treat all others we encounter in these areas with a level of mutual respect. 

56 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

A lot of sense being spoken but also seeing some of the entitled attitudes which are rapidly earning us cyclists a very bad name. 

We are not entitled to ride anywhere other than on public roads where we are classified as vehicles. Everywhere else we get to ride is a privilege granted by the people who either own or manage the land (be that farms, green belts, national parks, ...). We need to realise that it takes no time or money for these people to withdraw these privileges so we need to ensure that we as a community of mountain bikers, adhere to rules and treat all others we encounter in these areas with a level of mutual respect. 

Go somewhere else with your common sense and logic. No place for that on the Hub.

22 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

I'm sorry, but I don't quite agree with this sentiment. Where private land is involved, I'm with you 100%.

However, I think we need to address the use and general perception of the term 'entitled' and 'entitlement'. It often gets bandied about when referring to us cyclists and is, I believe, used and perceived rather negatively. However, for the case in point I'd like to propose we view it in a different light.

Google defines it as the following: "believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."

This is public land we're dealing with. It is effectively owned by the public and managed with the public's tax money.

As far as I'm concerned I'm most happy for my tax money to be spent responsibly and frugally in managing it. I'm also happy to pay EXTRA to be able to partake in such activities that require additional expenditure to build, maintain and manage, such as MTB trails.

Furthermore, if a large group of the public wishes to partake in some other new activity, then they are in fact entitled to use THEIR public land for such a purpose, whatever that might be. It goes without saying that this activity would need to be within the law, does no harm to the environment or to other users and is in keeping with the general intention that these areas are set aside for the protection thereof and for the enjoyment by ALL members of the public, tax paying or not.

So, in this case, I'm happy to consider myself 'entitled'.

The problem comes when 'entitlement' is misappropriated. In such a case, perhaps we can agree on a different term?

I propose 'd**s' as in: 'He's being a d**s about it'

I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by MintSauce

9 minutes ago, MintSauce said:

I'm sorry, but I don't quite agree with this sentiment. Where private land is involved, I'm with you 100%.

However, I think we need to address the use and general perception of the term 'entitled' and 'entitlement'. It often gets bandied about when referring to us cyclists and is, I believe, used and perceived rather negatively. However, for the case in point I'd like to propose we view it in a different light.

Google defines it as the following: "believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."

This is public land we're dealing with. It is effectively owned by the public and managed with the public's tax money.

As far as I'm concerned I'm most happy for my tax money to be spent responsibly and frugally in managing it. I'm also happy to pay EXTRA to be able to partake in such activities that require additional expenditure to build, maintain and manage, such as MTB trails.

Furthermore, if a large group of the public wishes to partake in some other new activity, then they are in fact entitled to use THEIR public land for such a purpose, whatever that might be. It goes without saying that this activity would need to be within the law, does no harm to the environment or to other users and is in keeping with the general intention that these areas are set aside for the protection thereof and for the enjoyment by ALL members of the public, tax paying or not.

So, in this case, I'm happy to consider myself 'entitled'.

The problem comes when 'entitlement' is misappropriated. In such a case, perhaps we can agree on a different term?

I propose 'd**s' as in: 'He's being a d**s about it'

I'm open to suggestions.

While I agree, one need to remember that a LOT of this land is a nature reserve. The over use, over development etc of the natural areas is a concern.

So there are things which effect erosion and endangered flaura and fauna which us mugs don't even consider.

So again, while I don't always agree with the management of parks and tmnp, I am also well aware of how ignorant I am with regards to the conservation and re-growth of natural areas.

Riding my bike and running in more areas of the park would be so cool, but with regards fires, re-instatement and re-growth etc, being aware and being mindful of the plans is where things break down. Despite huge signs, ticker tape and roving rangers, people are STILL ignoring this and bashing on in sensitive areas.

So it makes you think that if some can't follow explicit, basic requests, then how does one trust 'the group' to behave themselves elsewhere?

Pablo built many bridges, many houses and many roads but he only ****** one donkey..... If you get what I mean

On 5/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, Duane_Bosch said:

I don't want to derail this thread with technicalities coz causing harm someone who is merely doing their job is pretty disgusting. 

But to be clear. We as citizens of this country are the land owners. Not Sanparks. And more specifically TMNP is owned by us the citizens of Cape Town. Sanpark's business is extracting money from a resource that they do not own. Their mandate might be conservation but they are APPALING at it.

I think the Pretoria strategy for Tmnp can be summarised by the pricing for tourists at Cape point.

9 minutes ago, Rush1 said:

Which sections are open? Can we get to Blockhouse

Closed

187317467_10159180236781113_8424119151089029203_n.jpg

Edited by Kranswurm

• 3 months later...

https://web.facebook.com/TableMountainNP/posts/6036330796440754

any mtb focussed people on these comittees?

The Park Forum members include the following working groups:
Previously Disadvantaged & Recreational Group:
Mpendulo Dlamini, Judian Bruk, Nicky Schmidt, Roscoe Jacobs, Gary Goldman, Vanessa Jooste, Clive Danster, Merinda Hill, Edgar Smit, Frank Dwyer, Fatima Sait, Ronnett Sheldon, Grace Adams.
Safety Security and Partners Group:
Andy Davies, Simon Metcalfe, Anwar Adams, John Masilo, Hein Aylward, Shaun MacDonald, Michael Wilcox.
Maintenance and Permits Group:
Gordon Chunnett, Stephen Floyd, Alanna Rebelo, Reena Cotton, Robert Breyer, Nkosinathi Man-O-Man Mazele, Lelethu Lolwana, Penelope Brown, Jürgen Burchelt, Blake Dyson, Francis Minicki, Princess Chantal Revell, Gregg Louw, Ashraf Orrie.