Cederberg: A Mountain Oasis

I love the Cederberg, ...from Algeria to the Cracks, to Biedouw Valley. Up to now I've not ventured too far away from the camping sites' with the bikes.

We again spent some time there a few weeks ago, and did an unplanned reconnaissance ..... ended up doing +- 240km (in the LC) for the day .... but have now mapped out our next gravel ride.????

Looking forward to doing this route with a gravel and/or mountain bike the next time I get to the Cederberg ......  I've not seen the Doringrivier in the rainy season though, wonder if I'll be able to cross it walking through ..... (it's the crossing at "Uitspankraal") ?

UitspanKraal.jpg

BiedouwValley.png

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

...................  I've not seen the Doringrivier in the rainy season though..................

In winter, especially in a week or so after significant rains, the Doring is the prime white water kayaking river in the Western Cape. But I don't know how that crossing will be in high water.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Shebeen said:

Also, how can you mention Cederberg Oasis and not talk about them ribs?

Haha my apologies ???? how could I forget about the ribs

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't spent much time in Cederberg because I'm still fairly new to the Western Cape in general. But I'm heading there next weekend. I'm not very interested in gravel grinding and I know there are a couple of nice trails, especially around Sanddrif.

But, does anyone have any experience riding any of the other other stuff that's listed on Trailforks? I assume most are mainly hiking trails, but I've found before that good multi use hiking trails make for great bike trails.

cederberg.png

I've ridden the trails around Kromrivier, well worth it! Some sweet singletrack sections...

Sandrif trails are great. Do the black, its tough but worth it! Kromriver trails are also well worth it, the single track from the top of the pass down is lekker fast! The route around Sugarloaf is a treat, good climb up and amazing views. Fun single track down. If I had one day of riding I'd do the kromriver trails. 

19 hours ago, goatman said:

I've ridden the trails around Kromrivier, well worth it! Some sweet singletrack sections...

19 hours ago, Trance Dance said:

Sandrif trails are great. Do the black, its tough but worth it! Kromriver trails are also well worth it, the single track from the top of the pass down is lekker fast! The route around Sugarloaf is a treat, good climb up and amazing views. Fun single track down. If I had one day of riding I'd do the kromriver trails. 

Yeah, thanks. I'm referring to the trails that aren't marked as bike trails. Would be cool to ride north on trails, overnight, and then ride back on other trails. Even if it includes hike-a-biking.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:36 PM, Adr!@n said:

Yeah, thanks. I'm referring to the trails that aren't marked as bike trails. Would be cool to ride north on trails, overnight, and then ride back on other trails. Even if it includes hike-a-biking.

OK, there are some options that may allow for that, problem is its not allowed. The hiking trails don't really lend themselves to riding unless you happy to do lots of walking. I have some ideas though, DM me if you interested.