Road bike noob questions

Matu

On 5/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, Matu said:

Hi guys/girls

Been riding MTB for 3-4 years and its been great fun, sometimes the MTB group feels too lazy to drive to new locations an we opt for a road ride at our nearest coffee shop instead.

I have been enjoying the road rides and would like to start looking at my first road bike.

I have a few (stupid) questions...

• So I have a soft tail MTB:
    • can i expect a huge difference in speed/drag/power/etc. ? i assume yes, but is it really that tangible?
    • Yes - you will likely be 15%-20% faster on a road bike
    • will the road bike feel like an enema to ride? 
    • No.  It's a hard ride but not uncomfortable.  Going to be scolded for this, but I run 28mm tyres @ 5 bar for comfort.  works a charm
    • is it a road sin to have time atac pedals? (so i can wear the same shoe/cleat af MTB)
    • I've never owned a set of road pedals.  nobody looks at your cleats when you drop them on a climb.
  • Should i focus more on a good frame or a good group set?
    • given the same price (new or used), i.e. should i go for a aluminum frame/carbon fork and 105/ultegra or full carbon frame with sora/Tiagra?
    • Groupset is overrated.  Get a good frame
    • on a used bike scenario, how have 5 year old bikes fared against time? have the same group set changed dramatically over the last 5 years?
    • Road bikes haven't changed much in terms of geometry etc.  some improvements in stiffness etc., but a good road bike 10 years ago is still a good road bike today.  not so much with MTB
  • are disk brakes the way to go? (i have very limited experience with the performance and feel of rim brakes)
  • Disc brakes if you're buying new
  • is tubeless a must? (wouldn't dare ride a mtb with tubes for instance)
  • Nope, tubeless hasn't gone full main stream yet with road bikes, most guys are on tubes.

Think that's it!

Thanks in advance!

Matu

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

I came right yesterday on my first road bike.

2016 Silverback Strela Comp, nice condition, Sora group set, nearly new Conti tires, think its a descent start for 5k ????

Now, stupid question about fitting, i am 175cm height and 80cm inseam, the recommended size for me is 54cm, the bike is a 54cm.

The seat as you see in the pic is where i fit +-, the handle bars seem high as compared to all the cool/epic/pro pics I see on the interwebs (where the seat seems to be 10cm higher than the bars).

Ill try take an other pic with me on it.

Am i being stupid? who cares? is it because of the angled stem? bike too big for me? should I shut up and go ride?

Thanks!

1451903161_WhatsAppImage2021-06-01at12_33_58.jpeg.80446b1426db3584fcb9097cfffd507d.jpeg

Edited by Matu

34 minutes ago, Matu said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

2016 Silverback Strela Comp, nice condition, Sora group set, nearly new Conti tires, think its a descent start for 5k ????

Now, stupid question about fitting, i am 175cm height and 80cm inseam, the recommended size for me is 54cm, the bike is a 54cm.

The seat as you see in the pic is where i fit +-, the handle bars seem high as compared to all the cool/epic/pro pics I see on the interwebs (where the seat seems to be 10cm higher than the bars).

Am i being stupid? who cares? is it because of the angled stem? bike too big for me? should I shut up and go ride?

Thanks!

1451903161_WhatsAppImage2021-06-01at12_33_58.jpeg.80446b1426db3584fcb9097cfffd507d.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-01 at 12.33.57 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-01 at 12.33.57.jpeg

Nice bike, buddy.

What's the measurement from the centre of the BB to the top middle of the saddle? Nevermind too much about the height of the bars, make sure their height and reach offers you comfort and control.

Edited by TNT1

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Nice bike, buddy.

What's the measurement from the centre of the crank to the top middle of the saddle? Nevermind too much about the height of the bars, make sure their height and reach offers you comfort and control.

Thanks! very amped!

centre of the crank to top of the seat frame tube is 54cm, middle if the crank to saddle is +-70cm.

reach and control will be tested on my next ride, hope i have both ????

2 hours ago, Matu said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

Thanks!

Very nice! Wishing you many happy rides (and no flats).

12 minutes ago, Fork-it said:

Very nice! Wishing you many happy rides (and no flats).

appreciated! now to buy some spare tubes!

1 hour ago, Matu said:

middle if the crank to saddle is +-70cm.

Seems about right

Place your heel on the pedal and pedal backwards to reach the six o'clock position. Your knee should be completely straight. If your knee is still bent you need to increase the height, adjusting in small increments each time, and if your heel loses contact with the pedal then you need to lower the saddle

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Nevermind too much about the height of the bars, make sure their height and reach offers you comfort and control.

This is true, but you can do two things to get the more "pro" aero position, but ONLY do it if you don't compromise comfort and control.

1) you can remove one or more of the spacers under your stem and put them on top. No need to cut the steerer.

2) you can flip your stem around and have it more neutral and not pointing upwards. Do this in any event.

3 minutes ago, eddy said:

This is true, but you can do two things to get the more "pro" aero position, but ONLY do it if you don't compromise comfort and control.

1) you can remove one or more of the spacers under your stem and put them on top. No need to cut the steerer.

2) you can flip your stem around and have it more neutral and not pointing upwards. Do this in any event.

This is good advice for the noob.

Me I run everything slammed, cut steerer and long-ish stem at 0degrees.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, Matu said:

like to start looking at my first road bike.

I have a few (stupid) questions...

• So I have a soft tail MTB:
    • can i expect a huge difference in speed/drag/power/etc. ? i assume yes, but is it really that tangible?

Yes, but if you go for a good bike, otherwise if you go for a heavy aluminium bike but your MTB is a top of the range superlight bike with dual lockout etc, you won't feel much of a difference

• will the road bike feel like an enema to ride? 

If you go for 25 to 28mm tyres at the back, and tubeless, it will definitely make the ride more comfortable.

• is it a road sin to have time atac pedals? (so i can wear the same shoe/cleat af MTB)

I see plenty of guys riding with MTB pedals, once you're on the bike we can't see what pedals you're riding, and who cares ;) It's just that they are heavy compared to normal road pedals.

• Should i focus more on a good frame or a good group set?
    • given the same price (new or used), i.e. should i go for a aluminum frame/carbon fork and 105/ultegra or full carbon frame with sora/Tiagra?
    • on a used bike scenario, how have 5 year old bikes fared against time? have the same group set changed dramatically over the last 5 years?
  • are disk brakes the way to go? (i have very limited experience with the performance and feel of rim brakes)

NO NO NO and.... NO. Don't chose your bike depending on what brakes it has. I would decide depending on the frame weight & stiffness, if it has carbon wheels or not then the groupset, then only the brakes. Actually even the saddle matters more than the brakes ;)

• is tubeless a must? (wouldn't dare ride a mtb with tubes for instance)

Not a must, definitely not, still very few people use it for some reason. I've been tubeless since I bought my Giant, went back to tubes for 300km, had 3 punctures, not going back to tubes ever again. It does give a more plush/soft feel compared to the tubes because of the lower pressures, but I almost never have to stop for a flat.

Edited by Jbr
looks like I came a bit late to the party :D

3 hours ago, Matu said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

Thanks!

I think you have made an excellent buy.Perfect.

Ride it for a while with the stem and bars like that until you are comfy and confident.Maybe then swap the stem around and give it a try.Might be more comfortable.I am not comfy sitting upright.Always feel my back is arched and loss of control

1 hour ago, eddy said:

Flipping the stem around is so obvious!!! Magic!!

Just tried it, rode a block around the house, more control/connection to the steering.

Thanks for this!

36 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

I think you have made an excellent buy.Perfect.

Ride it for a while with the stem and bars like that until you are comfy and confident.Maybe then swap the stem around and give it a try.Might be more comfortable.I am not comfy sitting upright.Always feel my back is arched and loss of control

Thanks, decided to go cheap to appreciate the bike growth!

comfort I'll be able to measure overtime, need to do a proper ride!

Edited by Matu
Spelling

1 hour ago, Matu said:

Flipping the stem around is so obvious!!! Magic!!

Just tried it, rode a block around the house, more control/connection to the steering.

Thanks for this!

Thanks, decided to go cheap to appreciate the bike growth!

comfort I'll be able to measure overtime, need to do a proper ride!

Well done

That will make all the difference

5 hours ago, Matu said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

Thanks!

Can this be followed with a "kiekie" with your steed on your couch? Preferably with slammed stem ????

Edit: Congrats and many happy puncture free miles!

Edited by peetwindhoek