Electric fence question

Mojoman

So I saw 2 guys hanging arouind near the back of my house yesterday (I thought it was just one,,,then with the binoc I saw the other one behind some bushes)....I did sit around and wait for them but then never made an entry...GettingĀ tired of this now....

Those with electric fences....Do you find these systems are worthwhile....How often are you replacing those energisers and plastic bits and pieces? Do they require a lot of maintenance and does that wire that carries the charge need replacing regularly, like every coupole of years or something??

Was thinking of doing my own thing with an energiser and other bits and pieces and some wiring going at 45 across the top of my fence and maybe down towards the bottom...Just not sure of the life span on one of those energisers and if they ccost a lot to run Eskom wise (and how to sort it out when Eskom is off). I saw its around R200 per metre for a setup?

More money being chucked at my security...Thank you Mr Cele....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure that you would be permitted to do a DIY system as you wouldn't be seen as a 'competent person' able to issue a CoC, which could land you in a whole lot of trouble later on.

But I hear your frustration. For what it's worth we haven't had issues with our fences at our commercial buildings, but you need to actively manage vegetation growth along the fence.

Edit: The last fence we installed was about 100m @ R18K total all inclusive (at the end of 2019)

Edited by bertusras

If you do not have a COC, you'll be on the wrong side of the law if and when someone gets hurt. As far as maintenance goes, just make sure there no trees or branches interfering with the fence. The plastic bits you can replace as needed. Try and identify a weak spot OR a spot where you would attempt to enter and raise it with a few lines. Lastly, link it up with arm response and you should not have any issues. As far as electricity usage, it's minimal and it will last much longer vs an alarm system on a back up battery.Ā Ā 

Just now, Edereese said:

If you do not have a COC, you'll be on the wrong side of the law if and when someone gets hurt. As far as maintenance goes, just make sure there no trees or branches interfering with the fence. The plastic bits you can replace as needed. Try and identify a weak spot OR a spot where you would attempt to enter and raise it with a few lines. Lastly, link it up with arm response and you should not have any issues. As far as electricity usage, it's minimal and it will last much longer vs an alarm system on a back up battery.Ā Ā 

Also, spend more and go for the thicker line for industrial use, it will last a good couple of years.

7 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

So I saw 2 guys hanging arouind near the back of my house yesterday (I thought it was just one,,,then with the binoc I saw the other one behind some bushes)....I did sit around and wait for them but then never made an entry...GettingĀ tired of this now....

Those with electric fences....Do you find these systems are worthwhile....How often are you replacing those energisers and plastic bits and pieces? Do they require a lot of maintenance and does that wire that carries the charge need replacing regularly, like every coupole of years or something??

Was thinking of doing my own thing with an energiser and other bits and pieces and some wiring going at 45 across the top of my fence and maybe down towards the bottom...Just not sure of the life span on one of those energisers and if they ccost a lot to run Eskom wise (and how to sort it out when Eskom is off). I saw its around R200 per metre for a setup?

More money being chucked at my security...Thank you Mr Cele....

Previous colleague of mine was a Police reservist, he used to chase these thieves on a regular basis. His feedback was that electric fences are very ineffective. The guys simply just jump through them, it doesn't discourage them at all.

Plus you will sit with a lot of shlep in terms of legislation around electric fencing and keeping it legal with CoCs etc.

Spikes and "lemmetjies draad" are much better in his opinion in terms of securing the top of fences.

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. If they want to get in, they will find a way. IMHO, outside beams play a vital role to give early warning when perps enter your yard. If they know they have been noticed, they will bail. Small dogs that reside inside the house is also a big deterrent, because they are super-aware and can't be immobilized easily.

1 minute ago, Edereese said:

If you do not have a COC, you'll be on the wrong side of the law if and when someone gets hurt.

How does that work with something static like those spike strips on top of the wall which will also 100% hurt someone? Just for my own curiosity.

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

Ā 

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. If they want to get in, they will find a way.Ā 

Rifle+scope+suppressor?

Just now, TNT1 said:

Rifle+scope+suppressor?

= jailtime if you are sitting comfortably inside you burgladbarred home. You can't shoot someone in such a scenario.

BUT

Paintball gun + solid balls +Ā pepper balls. Go For it!Ā 

I have one. Energiser lasts a long time, Nemtek is a very good brand, developed in SA. Stainless steel wires will last but initial outlay is expensive. Get a professional to install. Keep the garden from growing all over the wires.

Keep looking for weak spots and note anything out of the ordinary or changed.Ā  I got robbed of 2 laptops (backup sigh) recently (in a complex) and it would seem that the thief had pre-visited to check things out. He went through 2 electric fences (underneath by removing a panel from a precast concrete wall in each case) and from a vacant property. He was caught on camera, pretty cool until a dog barked at him. Alarmed fence serves a purpose but have to keep sharp and upgrade (now to alarmed beams outside) - never ever relax, sadly.

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

How does that work with something static like those spike strips on top of the wall which will also 100% hurt someone? Just for my own curiosity.

I am not really sure, I do know that you need to have a number of visible signage, proper earth point etc....Ā Ā 

2 minutes ago, Edereese said:

I am not really sure, I do know that you need to have a number of visible signage, proper earth point etc....Ā Ā 

the earth point is the human touching the fence. :)Ā 

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

the earth point is the human touching the fence. :)Ā 

That's the problem, when the human touches, the fence should basically push him away. High voltage, low current situation. If said human gets injured or dies by touching the fence and you as owner do not have the correct paperwork on hand = K@kstraat vir jou.

In our case it's linked to armed response which helps a lot. Silent trigger and they respond within minutes to do a full perimeter check. The moment any tampering occurs, they are dispatched.Ā 

3 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Previous colleague of mine was a Police reservist, he used to chase these thieves on a regular basis. His feedback was that electric fences are very ineffective. The guys simply just jump through them, it doesn't discourage them at all.

Plus you will sit with a lot of shlep in terms of legislation around electric fencing and keeping it legal with CoCs etc.

Spikes and "lemmetjies draad" are much better in his opinion in terms of securing the top of fences.

Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. If they want to get in, they will find a way. IMHO, outside beams play a vital role to give early warning when perps enter your yard. If they know they have been noticed, they will bail. Small dogs that reside inside the house is also a big deterrent, because they are super-aware and can't be immobilized easily.

Yes, indeed. A friend of mine had constant issues with his. He had the one in the nylon sleeve. The guys would shock themselves all the time, alarm goes off etc. Eventually they just throw a blanket or carpet over the wires or a brick to break the wires. Barb wire and some serious spikes also work. Agreed at the end of the day, if they want to get in, they will!

Edited by Eddy Gordo

With regardsĀ the COC, your local municipality will probably require one in the event of ownership transfer should that happen. Importantly, you should check with your liability, property & home contents insurance if it's required. It could get nasty if injury or damage occurs as a result of the fence & there's no COC.Ā