94.7 MTB 50km - how does it compare?

buzzboxsa

I have done a few 94.7 MTB rides over the years including a few "dirty doubles" but this year it made me think a bit!

With the number of excellent MTB tracks/races/rides around the Inland region the 94.7 25km & 50km offers quite an attraction and seems very popular. The Steyn City event attracts a fairly high number of entries and thus the question - how does it compare with other routes/events? Is it more of a "novelty" race for being part of then 94.7 brand or does it really offer a good ride?

I done it once a number of years back and would never again.  Way to many people congregated in the same place for my liking and there is also nothing special to the route.

I would rather do any other race with fewer entries.

I've never ridden it but I have shot it as a photographer. I think the best part is probably the Northern farms section which is where I got the best pics (but to be fair I haven't seen the whole route). I don't think they go anywhere near the spruit. Northern farms is great but you don't need to do the race to get access to those trails. If you haven't ridden at Northern farms and would like to it's probably a good way to go. IMHO I'd do the JUMA over the 947 MTB (which is exactly what I have done in years prior). But I don't think that will be happening this year. Others could probably tell you more but that's what I know about it. Honestly I'm a little interested but It strikes me as a little too XC gravel grind for my liking. I shy away from races where people consider a bridge technical.

Edited by BenGraham

9 hours ago, TheoG said:

I done it once a number of years back and would never again.  Way to many people congregated in the same place for my liking and there is also nothing special to the route.

I would rather do any other race with fewer entries.

Crowds...during covid...I don't know. 

The last 94.7 MTB 50km was held in Steyn City and the route did not exit steyn city. It's not a technical ride however it was a very well organized ride with nearly 40km of single track inside steyn city. So trails that most people unless you live in Steyn city would not be able to ride. It was not congested at all and a well organized event.

947 MTB race is not what it used to be - back in the day when it was the day before the road race and if you did both they gave you a special number and made you feel like a "Man of Kapasiteit" ???? Then they moved it a week apart, so it was kind of Bleh!! But we still did it as it was a cool event and well supported. Really enjoyed bleeding through my eyes on the last hill climb, and then the beers afterwards with your mates.

The last time i did it was in 2019 once again well organized and good water points

Problem now is the 435 ronds entry fee ???? - thanks but no thanks - I'd rather go ride NF on my multi entry card.