Capetonians combining orders to save on delivery costs from Germany?

bob1978

I know I'm not a known hubber and probably pissing into the wind on this but.......

I want to order from https://www.bike-components.de/  rims and tyres but 20 euros for delivery of rims then adding 1 pair of tyres increases shipping to 39.95 euros but order 20 rims and 20 tyres delivery still 39.95. Had a nice online chat in English about their delivery costs. Cos I couldn't understand why the tyres couldn't fit inside the rim box for just 20 euro's, even he thought it a bit odd but apparently that's the cost of a bulk order. Clearly an arrangement between them and DHL.  Their currently selling oem panaracer slick gravelking 27.5" 42mm tyres for 8 euro's each bargain but not if I got to pay an extra 20 euro's delivery. They've got other great deals, check them out. I'm an Englishman (if that makes a difference) living in table view feeling rather frustrated at the lack of availibity out here. Anyone local interested in buying from them with me?

panaracertyre.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be careful as it is handed over to SAPO when entering SA and then you just have to cross your fingers it’ll get to you.

If you can find a reliable forwarding agent to get it all the way here via a reliable courier, that’s first price. Plus you can bring things in that are geoblocked.

Edited by DuncanCT

When is your dead line ?

I'll need a day or two ro confirm my stuff but I need a bunch of small hope parts and Europe is the only place to find them 

surely it stays with courier. recently ordered parts for brakes from amazon usa. fed ex or dhl cant remember to my door.

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

When is your dead line ?

I'll need a day or two ro confirm my stuff but I need a bunch of small hope parts and Europe is the only place to find them 

about a week

1 hour ago, bob1978 said:

surely it stays with courier. recently ordered parts for brakes from amazon usa. fed ex or dhl cant remember to my door.

I ordered from Bike24 a while back with shipping also via DHL. 2 Months later, SAPO delivered the order to my door. I had to pay the VAT / duties in cash to the driver - all properly documented.

This particular company use DHL paket which is basically the German postal system who in turn connect with SAPO  - very difficult to explain to the Germans that a postal system doesn’t work

its also difficult to ask them to upgrade to standard DHL but I have done it 

No saving is worth using our postal service 

As already stated, that store does not use dhl express, DHL is not DHL is not DHL. they hand it off to sapo once it hits SA. Your only choice would be to use aramex global shopper, ship it to the german branch, then SA. But then you’ll pay 20% euro VAT, 15% SA vat plus the handeling/customs fee. Its like people who dont realise USPS and UPS is not the same thing.

edit: well only choice if you actually want your stuff. Letting things go through SAPO is a surefire way to get it lost or wait till 2025 to get it.

Edited by MORNE

DHL/SAPO not that bad in my experience. Most recent purchase from bike 24 took exactly a month to my door (paid Vat etc in cash). Delivery cost was 20 euros. Continental tyres were half the price of local, plus saddle plus helmet = big saving. 

11 hours ago, bob1978 said:

No. Amazon and eBay global shipper will stay with courier but not the German bike shops, unless you pay the big bucks. Shipping costs have gone up. Only way for the bike shops to offer reasonably cheap shipping is to use local postal systems. 

14 minutes ago, Tomik said:

DHL/SAPO not that bad in my experience. Most recent purchase from bike 24 took exactly a month to my door (paid Vat etc in cash). Delivery cost was 20 euros. Continental tyres were half the price of local, plus saddle plus helmet = big saving. 

you rolled the dice and were lucky  this time lol. 10/15 years ago thats how I did it too, but over the years i've lost enough money at SAPO to never ever use them again. the problem is the inconsistency...and if you are (un)lucky enough to catch a witspost depot strike....you can write your package off. 

That is Deutsche Post which comes via the post office, but with priority packages. So far all of mine have been delivered to my door. Also alot quicker than normal post

HBSP 161 connector washer x 16

HBSP 159 HOPE olive x 8

HBSP 160 Hope insert x 8 

If these can be part of your order PM me so we can confirm details

14 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

HBSP 161 connector washer x 16

HBSP 159 HOPE olive x 8

HBSP 160 Hope insert x 8 

If these can be part of your order PM me so we can confirm details

Got alotta hope there

30 minutes ago, Meezo said:

Got alotta hope there

Yeah well that same stuff from international trade would cost almost a grand amd they of course don't have stock 

2 hours ago, Tomik said:

Lucky you - my stuff from bike 24 took 4 days to hit Jhb - still not here, 7 weeks and counting 

garbaruk parts from similar area at similar shipping costs but non postal got here in less than a week