Imana Wild Ride Training Tips

Hey all,

I'm off to participate in my first Imana Wild Ride end of July, not doing the first race event but the second Ride the Wave event . Can any one out there offer any training preparation advise, what kind of distances and time on the bike should we be putting in building up to the event, I dont want to be poorly prepared but also not going in there to break any records just have an enjoyable 4 days of riding.

Any tips and advise would be appreciated from those who have done it before :)

Work on 4 to 5 hours for the first three days (4o to 50 km) be prepared for walking on the beach and portaging up hills at the end of some bays .  3 or 4 mother hills to hike a bike / push. So do a bit of running /walking training. Suggest use hike a bike shoes (flexible with tread) not carbon soled stiff MTB shoes. Scott make a reasonable cheap pair. Last day is proper , much tougher, about 70km with a lot of district road climbs going inland, not as much beach riding.  Are places to refill but quite a few guys use small camelbak. Best event ever.  And fast rolling wider tyres help with beach sand , run lower pressure than normal.