Riding in and around George

Mike Mac

3 hours ago, Vetplant said:

(...Scurries off to see what overnight facilities are in the area for our drive down in December...)

LOTS of very good guest houses, B&Bs and one of the few country hotels you can safely stay at (Montagu has another one). For a quick sleep-over I have used the Swartberg Hotel right in the middle of town. You can eat there, the food will be good, really good coffee to get you going and a great bar for sundowners, all within 50 steps from your bed, which will be crispy clean. 

Contact Arno of Prince Albert Cycles for any up to date advice about riding, he is a fellow Hubber.

Edited by DJR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Kranswurm said:

What fatalities?

We used to ride from the riding club up over Montague Pass down then along to Louvain where we camped overnight and then over Ou Wapad the next day, Bergplaas along 7 Passes Road and back to the riding club every December and there was never a word about fatalities

There were some stabbing incidents that I recall. I can't give precise details as it was long ago and I read about them in the George Herald but that spot is dodgy. I lived in Blanco right up against Golden Valley which is adjacent to the Witfontein lower reaches and often criminals from there would move into the forests on the other side of the N9. From there they were able to infiltrate witfontein and even go up towards the Montague toll house. 

Just before I left George a young lady was highjacked in Blanco and driven up to the gravel road from Witfontein to the toll house before being brutally raped and murdered. 

This link is just one of a constant barrage of similar articles about Witfontein. In all my years there in George (1980 to 2013) this became the norm in latter years. My folks currently farm near Louvain. 

https://www.georgeherald.com/News/Article/General/safety-at-witfontein-questioned-202101211147

17 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Do NOT ride anywhere near Montague Pass or Witfontein forest alone. Seriously. There are some serious miscreants lurking around those parts and wait for cyclists and hikers to pass and then attack. There have been fatalities there in the past. I stayed in George until 2013 and those areas have always been dodgy. 

You can ride by the George dam and most days you will find a bunch of likeminded folks out on their bikes. From there you can loop to Saasveld and on to Wilderness, Hoekwil, 7 Passes and even end up by Garden Route Trail Park by Karatara if you so please. But none of these should be attempted alone if possible.

Its a sad state of affairs, but nothing is being done about the crime in the mountains in George and sadly innocent folks are the ones that are hurt.

Apart from that, the trails above George are really, really good. Just make sure you can ride with other folks around.

Geez Robbie this is a bit dramatic - there is a section near the bottom of montegu near witfontein which is dodgy (no incidents for ages but not worth riding alone and looking for trouble) Guys ride witfontein alone but I wouldn’t 

But the dam, Hoekwil, 7 passes, bergplaas and the rest are no problem solo

That said, if I’m in Oudtshoorn for 2 days there’s no way I’d skip Swartberg pass 

2 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Geez Robbie this is a bit dramatic - there is a section near the bottom of montegu near witfontein which is dodgy (no incidents for ages but not worth riding alone and looking for trouble) Guys ride witfontein alone but I wouldn’t 

But the dam, Hoekwil, 7 passes, bergplaas and the rest are no problem solo

That said, if I’m in Oudtshoorn for 2 days there’s no way I’d skip Swartberg pass 

ps where are your folks ? I’m trying to get from Louvein to heroldt and back to Montegu pass without hitting the tar 

Mike send me a whatsapp or give me a call on 081 018 2552. I'm the admin on one of the WhatsApp groups here which has over 250 members on it and we can get you all the information you need via that platform. I'm sure they'd be somebody wanting to ride with you should you be looking for company. And also the boys always happy to share the hidden gems of our area. 

2 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

ps where are your folks ? I’m trying to get from Louvein to heroldt and back to Montegu pass without hitting the tar 

There is a dirt road as far as Ezeljacht Guest Farm from Heroldt then you are on private property.I have done the whole dirt road thing from Heroldt to Louvain on 3 occasions but it is mostly on private land and was organized by Wikus and his team.Ask them.

Agree on doing swartberg pass. George trials are amazing though. So many options. 

Best to contact the hillbillies mtb club to direct you to the best options, as your time is limited.

When doing montagu pass, I always join from the outeniqua pass side (second entry), missing that quarry. I have never seen/met any suspicious characters from the tollhouse upwards.

3 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

They are in the Kammanassie valley up by Daskop (dropped pin on map). From Louvain you can cross over to Daskop and by Matjiesrivier take the left fork and continue along the Heimersrivier road towards Paardepoort road and hook a left to Herold. Cross over the tar and ride on to Montague pass and onwards.

I rode Witfontein alone last year but I had the constant niggle in the back of my head about all the things I know that go down there. If I am wrong, its one time I'd be happy to oblige.

But even then, ride Witfontein alone at your peril should you come unstuck and need assistance. Those trails are epic but put trail grading into proper perspective. Have a buddy, even only for the help if needed.

image.png.1ffb5cd90824d92bce72b3953ae4db6a.png

23 hours ago, DJR said:

I know you said you are looking for single track, but truly, the one thing you should do if based in Oudtshoorn, is to ride the Swartberg Pass. Yes, you will have to take the car to the start of the pass, but it is a safe a place to ride with no crime or dodgy settlements anywhere. The views are to die for, vehicles will be traveling slowly and most will smile and clap and start a chat. Once at the top, you can ride down to the Prince Albert side, the more spectacular part, but just give yourself enough time to climb back up and home. Otherwise get someone to meet you for lunch in Prince Albert and hitch a ride back. Unless you are like Copperhead, then you ride back with a few detours thrown it too. Thank me later for directing you to the best gravel pass in SA, some would say the world!

Mostdef, an abiding memory while visiting the now out-laws in Oudtshoorn two decades ago was my Alpina taking me up the pass to camp solo on a clear and still full moon night in the snow. Thomas Baine's final and most spectacular pass, and a brilliant mini adventure. That's it, I'm already planning the road trip to (edit:) cycle the Swartberg Pass on the way to visiting the kids in CT.  Thanks.

Edited by justinafrika

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

They are in the Kammanassie valley up by Daskop (dropped pin on map). From Louvain you can cross over to Daskop and by Matjiesrivier take the left fork and continue along the Heimersrivier road towards Paardepoort road and hook a left to Herold. Cross over the tar and ride on to Montague pass and onwards.

I rode Witfontein alone last year but I had the constant niggle in the back of my head about all the things I know that go down there. If I am wrong, its one time I'd be happy to oblige.

But even then, ride Witfontein alone at your peril should you come unstuck and need assistance. Those trails are epic but put trail grading into proper perspective. Have a buddy, even only for the help if needed.

image.png.1ffb5cd90824d92bce72b3953ae4db6a.png

definitely agree on Witfontein and that section of Montegu, thanks for info, I'll drop your name when your dad pulls out the shotgun for trespassing

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

Mostdef, an abiding memory while visiting the now out-laws in Oudtshoorn two decades ago was my Alpina taking me up the pass to camp solo on a clear and still full moon night in the snow. Thomas Baine's final and most spectacular pass, and a brilliant mini adventure. That's it, I'm already planning the road trip to do the Swartberg Pass on the way to visiting the kids in CT.  Thanks.

As you can probably tell, I am from that part of the world and won't let a chance pass to punt the place. Just a little correction, the Swartberg Pass was certainly Thomas Baines masterpiece, but his last pass, believe it or not, which he built shortly before passing away, is the road from Tamboerskloof, over over Kloof Nek to Camps Bay.

13 minutes ago, DJR said:

As you can probably tell, I am from that part of the world and won't let a chance pass to punt the place. Just a little correction, the Swartberg Pass was certainly Thomas Baines masterpiece, but his last pass, believe it or not, which he built shortly before passing away, is the road from Tamboerskloof, over over Kloof Nek to Camps Bay.

Before google there was me - when it came to useless information I had a gift.  This piece of info is brilliant

1 hour ago, DJR said:

Most interesting. I haven't really considered that beautiful piece of road a pass but the description fits. Thank you.

I'm quietly planning a ride from Prins Albert over the Swartberg and on to my folks. Its going to end up being my biggest to date, but I'm super keen. It turns out my great-great Grandfather was one of the founding members of the Prins Albert NG Church and a picture of him hangs in the Pastorie. It would be great to start of with some very personal history and then finish on my pa's farm.

I am super excited about the climb to the summit of the Swartberg pass from Prins Albert side. I have never ridden there before but I am aching to do it.

Back in the days when technology consisted of a tube tv and phones had a circular dial and phone numbers were 4 digits long, we camped on the swartberg one evening to watch Haley's comet come across the sky. It was 1986 and I was 10 at the time. My dad and my older boet slept in the back of a open Venter trailer. At some point in the night my dad says the stars started moving, slowly increasing in speed, before he realised it was not the stars, but the trailer had come unstuck from its rather iffy spot it was put and was rolling down the hill towards a steep cliff over 200m in height. Luckily my boet and him made it out unscathed. On another occasion I hike the summit route over the course of a weekend. That was a spectacular weekend I will not soon forget.

Swartberg pass holds a certain charm that is not easily matched.

48 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm quietly planning a ride from Prins Albert over the Swartberg and on to my folks. Its going to end up being my biggest to date, but I'm super keen. It turns out my great-great Grandfather was one of the founding members of the Prins Albert NG Church and a picture of him hangs in the Pastorie. It would be great to start of with some very personal history and then finish on my pa's farm.

I am super excited about the climb to the summit of the Swartberg pass from Prins Albert side. I have never ridden there before but I am aching to do it.

Back in the days when technology consisted of a tube tv and phones had a circular dial and phone numbers were 4 digits long, we camped on the swartberg one evening to watch Haley's comet come across the sky. It was 1986 and I was 10 at the time. My dad and my older boet slept in the back of a open Venter trailer. At some point in the night my dad says the stars started moving, slowly increasing in speed, before he realised it was not the stars, but the trailer had come unstuck from its rather iffy spot it was put and was rolling down the hill towards a steep cliff over 200m in height. Luckily my boet and him made it out unscathed. On another occasion I hike the summit route over the course of a weekend. That was a spectacular weekend I will not soon forget.

Swartberg pass holds a certain charm that is not easily matched.

Do contact the churh office beforehand and make sure they give you access to both the church and the pastorie. Both are spectacular buildings, architecturally speaking.