Riding in and around George

Mike Mac

2 hours ago, DJR said:

Do contact the churh office beforehand and make sure they give you access to both the church and the pastorie. Both are spectacular buildings, architecturally speaking.

Thanks, I will definitely do so. I remember visiting there many decades ago with my folks and grandparents. I was still a laaitie back then and vaguely recall the impact it made on my gran to see her great-grandfather there on the wall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some feedback from the weekend.

Firstly, thanks Warren Moult for assisting me with routes. Much appreciated.

On the Sat I rode the routes around George Dam. Despite getting a little "lost", I mamaged to find a few gem single tracks. My fav tracks that I found where Jellietot, Sequoia, Rooikat Ran (I actually had a close up encounter with a Rooikat, not on this section though), Pepsi Pools and Elephant Bath (the latter has potential to be developed into an awesome DH run with space for A, B & C options).

On the Sunday, I opted for the Swartberg pass to Prince Albert and back up. This isn't my fav type of riding, however, if gravel road with 10-15km climbing on either side of the summit is your thing (and you have the legs), it is an awesome road to ride. 

M

• 1 month later...

I'm returning to the Cape, and George it's going to be. I'm a tad perplexed at what I've read about the Witfontein issues, but delighted at the positive comments and reports. I don't know the area for riding except the Montague pass to Louvain event....and I think I did the inaugural one, was probably the year 2000 (?). So I'm pretty much chomping at the bit to get settled there and go ride. 

1 hour ago, EssBee said:

I'm returning to the Cape, and George it's going to be. I'm a tad perplexed at what I've read about the Witfontein issues, but delighted at the positive comments and reports. I don't know the area for riding except the Montague pass to Louvain event....and I think I did the inaugural one, was probably the year 2000 (?). So I'm pretty much chomping at the bit to get settled there and go ride. 

You're lucky. I would seriously not mind moving back to George. Who knows, with work from home it might become a reality some day. As far as riding is concerned, there is soooo much to ride in and around George. There's the dam and surrounds and on to Wilderness, Seven Passes which will take you all the way to Knysna if you choose. Witfontein and over to Montague and onwards from there, or you can take the Geelhoutboom road and end up by Mosselbay or go over to the Robertson Pass area and then a gazzilion other nooks and cranny's that are hidden, begging to be found. Your biggest issue won't be where to ride, but where to start.

Hi Folks

So we're staying over in the area (Glentana) for some holidays and my initial plan was to shoot through from here to do Swartberg pass, but unfortunately it's closed for the time being.

I'm rather considering Montagu pass instead as I've never done it before.

Plan is to drop the family at Red Berry Strawberry farm while I shoot up to do Montagu Pass to Herold and back (solo). I understand that, in essence, it's not safe in anywhere anymore in ZA to ride alone. But in an effort to minimise the risk - what would be the safest route to get onto Montagu Pass from the strawberry farm?

8 hours ago, Kameel said:

Hi Folks

So we're staying over in the area (Glentana) for some holidays and my initial plan was to shoot through from here to do Swartberg pass, but unfortunately it's closed for the time being.

I'm rather considering Montagu pass instead as I've never done it before.

Plan is to drop the family at Red Berry Strawberry farm while I shoot up to do Montagu Pass to Herold and back (solo). I understand that, in essence, it's not safe in anywhere anymore in ZA to ride alone. But in an effort to minimise the risk - what would be the safest route to get onto Montagu Pass from the strawberry farm?

None from Redberry Farm side. You will be passing through the heart of the trouble from there if you ride through Blanco / Golden Valley.

The yellow line takes gravel roads to a contour forestry road. From there you can ride across the N9 to the Montague. The red line should be avoided as it will set you up perfectly for everything you want to avoid. The blue line is somewhat safer as it passes through town and hence cars will be there to kind of keep you "safe" (unless they end up being the risks), but in all these lines you are at risk riding alone, especially on the yellow line.

Speak to Mark at Redberry Farm. He rides MTB too and will be able to provide you with tons of advice.

image.png.9ee203df79248f0565525fcc823d2e9a.png

3 hours ago, Kameel said:

@Robbie Stewartthanks for the info.

Are there perhaps any other riding groups in the area you can put me in touch with? 

I'll DM you my wife's boss contact details. He is a rider as well and he lives in George and he is often crossing the Montague pass. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to point you in the right direction, or even to accompany you on the day.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

• 1 month later...

I received a petition mailed to me last week about an apparent massive development planned around the George Dam. Can anyone shed any light on this? I was @#$%& horrified! That will certainly stuff up all the trails close to the dam.

They've been talking about it for years. There is new rumours that they want to do it though. It would be a massive loss to the mountain biking community as this is our main training ground. It's host to arguably some of the best trails in the country. 

Contact the local Hillbillies Club if you need more information on the matter. As far as I'm aware they keeping a very close eye on it. 

It would be very sad to lose the place. I rode there last night and going back this afternoon for another ride.

Thanks, @Moult.  It will indeed be catastrophic on various levels.

I will, in all likelihood, join that club once I'm there or closer to our big move there.

• 4 months later...

Hi all....as previously indicated we are now residing in George.  I'm loving getting to know the trails between the dam and Saasveld, not so much the trails above Campher's Drift, Heatherlands etc. That horrendous rain on 22nd November caused mayhem with the trails especially in that area, and of course being closer to the mountains the seepage water kept everything sodden for a long time. 

I still want to figure how to ride from the water works above Denneoord to the dam area....assuming this is possible. I've tried once but baled after floundering a bit...so if anyone has any advice on that idea it'll be welcomed.