The U MTB STAGE RACE

Delanie

Here’s how we’ll be celebrating Heritage Day this year

The U Stage Race, presented by Venturescapes Events and Enjoy, turns five in 2021 (it would’ve been six but who’s counting 2020…). This year the event is taking place from 24 - 26 September. Long weekend… SORTED!

Now this event has always been tricky to get into for its spectacular riding and for the great lifestyle offering that goes with it. This year is going to be even more difficult - due to protocols in place, there are 200 SPOTS ONLY available for the Heritage Day weekend singletrack festival. We suggest you proceed to checkout today. We are. For the half-dozen reasons below and for the fact that the event is also open to eBikes this year.

1. TRAIL SURFING
The area offers some of the finest singletrack trail riding in the land. This hand-crafted 100-plus kilometre web of trails on the Moutons Valley, Pomona and Buglers Post farms are usually the private playground of the landowners and a few very select friends. The rest of us get to ride it on only on very select weekends a year, those very rare Open Weekends as well as the one-day Piket-Bo-Berg Cycle Challenge and the three-day The U.

So magically flowy are the sections that in places its almost impossible to comprehend how the trails were imagined, let alone crafted. Criss-crossing the hills above the race village, the trails weave audaciously over, though, between, and under rocks to create a near perfect land-surf on terrain which quite often shouldn’tbe rideable. 

2. ALL INCLUSIVE

You can leave your wallet at home. No for real, the event is 100% all-inclusive (regardless of what accommodation you choose), that means everything is already covered in your entry fee. Now, this is not like one of those ‘all you can eat buffets’ where you get short changed, but a full-service, premium-quality offering. Thanks to the event’s amazing partners, every aspect, from morning coffee through race nutrition, bike care, post-ride beers, meals and night cap, is the best of the best. Riders will also receive the official custom trail top for The U 2021, designed and manufactured locally by Enjoy and a complimentary recovery massage on Saturday by the EPT team with full access to the EPT Recovery Lounge on Friday & Sunday to try the latest gadgets in sports recovery.

3. PREMIUM LIFESTYLE OFFERING

Thanks to the event’s high-end partners, the all-inclusive premium offering includes (among other surprises):

• Baristas serving any hot beverage of your choice
  • Complimentary La Chouffe Beers and Belgian Beer Company beer tastings
  • Hope Gin & Fitch and Leedes sunset cocktails on Friday and Saturday evening (including a Hope Gin and Liefmans Fruitesse beer cocktail)
  • Cadence Nutrition during Episodes 1 & 2
  • Powerful protein punch from Protein2Go
  • As much DAY Water as you need (sustainable canned water)

4. PERSONALISED NUMBER BOARD AND MEDAL
Check your ego at the door, this is a first-name basis, baggies and big-grins event. The personalised number boards are a keepsake return riders cherish.

5. THE DAM
The race village is set under the trees on the banks of a beautiful dam. The dam provides both a geographical landmark for when you’re suffering high up on the hills and offers the ideal cool down dip once you’ve crossed the finish line. Makes for some great photos too. And, the odd bass has been known to fall to those intrepid enough to pack their fishing rods. (Catch and release only, of course).

6. QUEEN AND KING OF THE MOUNTAIN. MOUNTAIN. MOUNTAIN…
For the racing snakes, there is some coin up for grabs in the Venturescapes Segment Challenge: With R5000 for both the K&QOM on the Venturescapes Segment Challenge on both Episodes 1 & 2 (R20K in total over the weekend).

Entries open on Monday, 31 May. Entries are limited and bound to sell out fast. There are various entry and accommodation options available.

For more information or to enter, click here.