Question for MTB race length

Matthew du preez

Do the 45km and go flat out , it will give you an indication of how fit/strong you are going forward.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, myself and I would always do the longer races.  If I pay for something, I want to get the most out of it.  Not that I always completely cope with the longer races, but still, I try and I do them.

(It also depends on how far the longest races are).

As a 16yo, you’re allowed to race up to 60Km. 

Youth age groups are limited to racing specific distances to protect them from over use injuries. If you do the 25Km, you’ll be racing against kids under the age of 14.

The 45km distance falls under the half marathon long category (36-60km) will be limited to kids aged 15+. You will be able to see how you perform against kids your age, as well as your own ability, so the choice is yours to make.

thanks guys for the advice....

i have decided that i'll do the 25km and go flat out...

i honestly doubt i could do 45km and finish strong....and my parents have said no to the 45.????

as this is my first long race... i've done a 10km before....

so yea i'll let you guys know how it went...

i hope i win....what can i say i'm being optimistic

10 minutes ago, matthewdupreez001@gmail.com said:

snipped... 

For optimism, wear secret socks. It'll help with the aerodynamics and cool factor 

Jokes aside, gooi meilies and enjoy the race 

19 minutes ago, matthewdupreez001@gmail.com said:

i have decided that i'll do the 25km and go flat out...

i honestly doubt i could do 45km and finish strong....and my parents have said no to the 45.????

as this is my first long race... i've done a 10km before....

so yea i'll let you guys know how it went...

imho that's the sensible choice. Do as I say and not as I did, listen to your parents .... ????

At 16 we were doing marathon races and 24 hour races. 70km+ races were the norm. 150km+ on a 24 hour as well. 

Do the 45km and enjoy being young and strong. I'm sure you won't even be sore the next day. 

14 hours ago, RobbyB said:

A lot of good comments spoken already but the shorter race should be your aim.

Its a whole lot different doing 30 and then racing 25, especially with a 500m climb thrown in. We also don't know how truly fit you are for maintaining a racing speed (and its difficult to hold back in a race). Racing a shorter route is a whole lot better than blowing out on a longer route. This is your first race so go kick ass on the shorter route and when you're ready go for the 40+ races...

It would be great if you have a GPS device on your bike with the distance you've cycled being prominent so that you can gage when you're a quarter / half / three quarters way through the race so that that you can put in more speed and energy, if you've got it, or hold back and save so you don't bomb before you get home.

Get to know the route and where the hills are and how many and which are the longer climbs. Once the hills are done it usually a fast sprint all the way home. Good luck on your first race - have fun (that's the main thing) and learn lots. Racing is all about the knowledge that you learn and applying it to your next event...

we have 2 car gps's garmins...

i'll see how long it's battery would run for as i can't charge it while riding...

if that doesn't work then i'll just use my bicycle computer... speed, avg speed, distance, time riding etc

Yep, good choice of distance for your first race...

Use your bike computer to monitor your distance done and how far you still have to go. That way you can monitor your energy that you still have in store. Good luck and have fun. Winning isn't everything - and yet again...it is!

(As a parent would say: Don't ride recklessly coz you don't want to have a prang. Take calculated risks and stay upright)

1 hour ago, RobbyB said:

Yep, good choice of distance for your first race...

Use your bike computer to monitor your distance done and how far you still have to go. That way you can monitor your energy that you still have in store. Good luck and have fun. Winning isn't everything - and yet again...it is!

(As a parent would say: Don't ride recklessly coz you don't want to have a prang. Take calculated risks and stay upright)

i don't mean to sound obnoxious, but i'm pretty good at staying up right, even when i have one foot stuck in the clasp and i have to run/hop alongside the bike at 35kmh, luckily i did manage to get back on but it was an interesting experience

27 minutes ago, Matthew du preez said:

i don't mean to sound obnoxious, but i'm pretty good at staying up right, even when i have one foot stuck in the clasp and i have to run/hop alongside the bike at 35kmh, luckily i did manage to get back on but it was an interesting experience

Question - how much "race" experience do you have ?

Sadly too many riders are downright dangerous in a bunch.  And then you get those try to pass at stupid spots ....  I have seen too many good riders get taken out by reckless riders ....

ENJOY your event, and stay alert for the idiots .... :thumbup:

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Question - how much "race" experience do you have ?

Sadly too many riders are downright dangerous in a bunch.  And then you get those try to pass at stupid spots ....  I have seen too many good riders get taken out by reckless riders ....

ENJOY your event, and stay alert for the idiots .... :thumbup:

practically none... i'll beware