Tokyo Olympics: Non-Cycling

Shebeen

Here's a spot for all the chit chat on the world's greatest show. - if it doesn't happen, well we can discuss that cluster#@#@ here too

The actual Cycling chat here, everything else below.

It looks like we will have our first openly trnasgender female competing, and surprise surprise it was in weightlifting

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1108399/anna-vanbellinghen-hubbard

I'm going to set my stall out, and say this is absolute bollocks. Fully support people's right to identity, but they can't then go and compete in women's sports. that is too much cake and eating it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a jaundiced view of Olympic events where winning the Olympic event isn't viewed within that sport as the ultimate achievement. Golf for example... The Masters is seen as a greater achievement than Olympic gold. Arguably... Same with football (World cup), tennis (Wimbledon etc), road cycling (le Tour), no matter what van Aevermaert's helmet says

Also, pineapple doesn't belong on pizza, even at the Olympics

Well I am ridiculously excited for the track and field events. The ultimate showdown is going to be in the 400m and 1500m. I think the 5000m is a foregone conclusion. 800m is also going to be exciting even with the news that Rudisha has pulled out (but his initial announcement he was competing was a surprise anyway).

for the 400m. i would love Wayde to take it again and hush all the Norman fans...but I think it is too soon after his recovery

Ladies 100m and 200m is going to be a good watch with Richardson and her long nails

And then of course...the mens marathon

43 minutes ago, Stretch said:

SNIP

for the 400m. i would love Wayde to take it again and hush all the Norman fans...but I think it is too soon after his recovery

SNIP

Reallllly hoping Wayde can bring it... but not going to be too disappointed if he doesn't take Gold. Would be content to just see him running at the Olympics again. I understand he has not even run a qualifying time yet, so fingers crossed he gets to go. ????

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Here's a spot for all the chit chat on the world's greatest show. - if it doesn't happen, well we can discuss that cluster#@#@ here too

The actual Cycling chat here, everything else below.

It looks like we will have our first openly trnasgender female competing, and surprise surprise it was in weightlifting

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1108399/anna-vanbellinghen-hubbard

I'm going to set my stall out, and say this is absolute bollocks. Fully support people's right to identity, but they can't then go and compete in women's sports. that is too much cake and eating it.

I'm rooting for Laurel. They is so gorgeous ????

(Or should "they" as a preferred pronoun for an individual take the plural?)

On 6/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, lechatnoir said:

I have a jaundiced view of Olympic events where winning the Olympic event isn't viewed within that sport as the ultimate achievement. Golf for example... The Masters is seen as a greater achievement than Olympic gold. Arguably... Same with football (World cup), tennis (Wimbledon etc), road cycling (le Tour), no matter what van Aevermaert's helmet says

yes. dunno who the golf champ even is. Tennis same vibe. Football i think is done fine with the u23 requirement, BUT we all know why it's there - TV time and revenue.

As a sailor, the olympics is a very debated topic - it is a huge income earner but the program is not really reflective of sailing in general. there's currently a big whoo haa about the classes being used for paris (well it always comes up) - as the move to a mixed gender 2person keelboat has been kicked out by IOC (for now).

23 hours ago, Stretch said:

Well I am ridiculously excited for the track and field events. The ultimate showdown is going to be in the 400m and 1500m. I think the 5000m is a foregone conclusion. 800m is also going to be exciting even with the news that Rudisha has pulled out (but his initial announcement he was competing was a surprise anyway).

Ladies 100m and 200m is going to be a good watch with Richardson and her long nails

And then of course...the mens marathon

wanna see these ingebritsen laaitie on the biggest stage of all.

Wayde dreamer hasn't even run the 400m yet this year

Edited by Shebeen

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

wanna see these ingebritsen laaitie on the biggest stage of all.

Yes - be interesting to see how he stacks up

No...but he has laid down a ridiculously quick 100m. Like I say - I dont thin he is match fit.. and he might not even qualify. He is currently not in the squad.

On another note: Look how pathetic our athletics contingent currently is. Athletics SA is a disgrace

kani Simbine, Clarence Munyai, Antonio Alkana, Cheswill Johnson, Ruswahl Samaai, Rocco van Rooyen, Jason van Rooyen, Stephen Mokoka, Desmond Mokgobu, Elroy Gelant, Wayne Snyman, Men’s 4X100m Relay and Men’s 4X400m Relay (The athletes are still to be determined by Athletics South Africa), Wenda Nel, Dominique Scott, Gerda Steyn and Irvette van Zyl

10 minutes ago, Stretch said:

No...but he has laid down a ridiculously quick 100m. Like I say - I dont thin he is match fit.. and he might not even qualify. He is currently not in the squad.

Did you see that (very odd) Boston meet the other day? He ran 200. pulled up with 50 to go in the final. Said something was 'tight' so he bailed, and that he's fine now. I don't believe a word of it, and am worried, the come-back has been very long. But yes, only 3 or 4 quali events left I think. 

I'm excited to watch Sport Climbing. First appearance at the Olympics. We tried out indoor climbing beginning of the year and its stuck, its very fun, and extraordinarily challenging.

The Olympics will be combining 3 climbing disciplines into one big single scored event so its irritated the purists and kind of excited the casual watcher.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, Shebeen said:

wanna see these ingebritsen laaitie

On 6/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, Stretch said:

I think the 5000m is a foregone conclusion.

I missed the race (yesterday I think) but Jakob ran 12:48 in the 5,000m. MEGA blitz time. And beat Joshua (6th...). 

Equally, or probably more exciting is the Hassan / Kipyegon battle. Wow they;re producing some stupendous runs.

2 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

I missed the race (yesterday I think) but Jakob ran 12:48 in the 5,000m. MEGA blitz time. And beat Joshua (6th...). 

Equally, or probably more exciting is the Hassan / Kipyegon battle. Wow they;re producing some stupendous runs.

And it was a European record

Kit launch was yesterday.  Must say a good job was done.. Kit and casual wear looks good. .. Don't know bout the vellies... But hey at least another sponsor came on board.. 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, lechatnoir said:

I've always wondered why (other than the traditional Olympics events like T&F) sports that already have a World Championships even have an event at the Olympics? And how does one justify adding (or taking away) events? Like BMX Freestyle for example - now I as an "athlete" will have to be judged based on a strict set of criteria and the outcome of that judging will determine my standing? That's like the opposite of what the sport is about! 

Also, I believe the prestige of the prize is determined by the people (us, press, marketing gurus), it's not like there's a rubric that decides which event is more glam or prestigious than another. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, Stretch said:

And it was a European record

This young man is mental.  Please don't be doping, please. 

On 6/2/2021 at 1:03 PM, Stretch said:

On another note: Look how pathetic our athletics contingent currently is. Athletics SA is a disgrace

kani Simbine, Clarence Munyai, Antonio Alkana, Cheswill Johnson, Ruswahl Samaai, Rocco van Rooyen, Jason van Rooyen, Stephen Mokoka, Desmond Mokgobu, Elroy Gelant, Wayne Snyman, Men’s 4X100m Relay and Men’s 4X400m Relay (The athletes are still to be determined by Athletics South Africa), Wenda Nel, Dominique Scott, Gerda Steyn and Irvette van Zyl

These few are all world class. Simbine most def belongs there, winning stuff left, right and centre. And who doesn't love Gerda?!

On 6/1/2021 at 12:05 PM, Vetplant said:

Reallllly hoping Wayde can bring it... but not going to be too disappointed if he doesn't take Gold. Would be content to just see him running at the Olympics again. I understand he has not even run a qualifying time yet, so fingers crossed he gets to go. ????

Unless he can pull a rabbit out of nowhere, he has crazy stiff compo. US runners out of LSU college are DOMINATING in everything they do. There's a chappie there who is winning in both high jump AND long jump! That's only been seen once before.