Top Posters In This Topic

Japan takes ???? in both men’s and women’s street skateboarding:

Women’s Olympic skateboarding  street podium:

???????? Nishiya Momiji: 13 years old
???????? Rayssa Leal: 13 years old
???????? Nakayama Funa: 16 years old

9DDDBA79-B4BA-4589-A857-2D018243B58A.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

Someone explain me what the deal is with Simone Biles? I never seen it before, but she was easily the worst across multiple disciplines of all the gymnasts. I thought she was hot ****. I was wondering how she would even qualify for the games if it wasn't for her reputation.

26 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Someone explain me what the deal is with Simone Biles? I never seen it before, but she was easily the worst across multiple disciplines of all the gymnasts. I thought she was hot ****. I was wondering how she would even qualify for the games if it wasn't for her reputation.

Disclaimer: I didn't watch a single gymnastic event.

This report however doesn't seem to agree with your observation above. She made the finals, so surely she isn't the "worst" out of the lot? Maybe not on her 2016 best, that we can agree on.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/57960287

"But the 24-year-old has still reached all five individual finals, starting with Thursday's all-around"

"Biles' 15.183 on the vault puts her in top spot on the apparatus behind team-mate Jade Carey (15.166), but in both the bars - arguably her weakest event - and the beam, she scored lower than compatriot Suni Lee.

However, her overall tally of 57.731 means she tops the all-around standings ahead of Brazil's Rebeca Andrade (57.399), with Lee qualifying third (57.166).

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

"Biles' 15.183 on the vault puts her in top spot on the apparatus behind team-mate Jade Carey (15.166), but in both the bars - arguably her weakest event - and the beam, she scored lower than compatriot Suni Lee.

Hence my comment about her reputation. It seems to be skewing the judges scoring.

I watched lots of gymnastics over the weekend, and on the vault particularly, she was extremely ordinary looking compared to other competitors.

Anyway, it's neither here nor there, I was just interested, cause this is the first time I've seen her.

(Maybe it's my bias, cause I'm a huge fan of the Chinese team)

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Hence my comment about her reputation. It seems to be skewing the judges scoring.

I watched lots of gymnastics over the weekend, and on the vault particularly, she was extremely ordinary looking compared to other competitors.

Anyway, it's neither here nor there, I was just interested, cause this is the first time I've seen her.

(Maybe it's my bias, cause I'm a huge fan of the Chinese team)

Aha, got it.

Very valid concern. Whenever judges are involved there is a real risk of bias. Don't know how you would fix/prevent this.

so it looks like the blitzbokke have got passed ireland and kenya, so are effectively in the qtrs

I think their final pool game is 11:30am tomorrow, against the US, top of the table clash, followed by qtr finals

then semis/final on wed

it's a very weird process, 12 teamsin 3 groups, narrowed down to 8 for qtrs.

I guess it comes down to points difference to split teams. 

we're way behind in that regard to NZ and GBR in that regard

Watching the swimming, I noticed a lot of teenagers competing for top positions - I think the youngest I saw was 14? Even the skateboarders had winners in the low teens! How do you even identify those athletes at such a young age? Do those countries have national high performance olympic sport centers to develop them? Are they government funded/supported?

38 minutes ago, sias said:

Watching the swimming, I noticed a lot of teenagers competing for top positions - I think the youngest I saw was 14? Even the skateboarders had winners in the low teens! How do you even identify those athletes at such a young age? Do those countries have national high performance olympic sport centers to develop them? Are they government funded/supported?

As I understand it, some nations have national programs where they assess the children at very young ages, looking for key markers that indicate the possibility of excellence in a specific sport. This could either be performance tests, eg. testing for explosiveness by asking them to do a stationary jump. Or it could even be genetic testing, looking for key genes.

They then develop these kids from a very young age in sport specific training programs.

It is astonishing that we are actually competitive if you look at what SASCOC does for our athlete development.

54 minutes ago, sias said:

Watching the swimming, I noticed a lot of teenagers competing for top positions - I think the youngest I saw was 14? 

There's lots in all the sports.

GB gymnastics has the Gadirova twins - 16 years old, In the men's syncro diving finals, Ukraine had some 15 year olds, it's an epidemic of toddlers.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

In non cycling related Olympic news, Bianca Buitendag has made the finals! So Gold or Silver medal.... What a way to retire at 27!

As an aside, I think you're a McKec**** (not sure if one's allowed to say) and in the '80s I did quite a few surf trips with a Steven/Stephen McK.  I ask 'cos the surname is most uncommon and wondering if there's a connection?