Tokyo Olympics: Non-Cycling

Shebeen

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

surely we can't cock this up?

7-0 up and arg down to 6 with a red...yet we conceded already to tie it up

how did we cock that up?

a)anything can happen in sevens

b)coach is in the hotel with covid+ isolation.

c)game time. covid meant our guys didn't do nada. same for everyone, except nz and aus who played each other.

d)we sent a B team. in Rio we had everyone trying to get on the team, even Habana got bat. Kolbe+Kwagga from Rio at least playing in the boks team. But we have many of our best 7s players in the carling frikken currie cup? I'm not sure if SA rugby just don't care about this format anymore, but just Senatla, Kok and Rosco would probably have been enough decent experience and speed. Dylan sage was actually in the shortlist, dunno why he didn't make it.

e)we've lost the Blitz. Branco is slow, he's only back in the team because (c). even our gasman Shakes got schooled.

f)game management. easy with hindsight, but if we played a tighter game, protected the ball the gaps were always going to come.  

Thing is, on paper we should have blitzed passed kenya and ireland, instead we struggled. the US game was naelskraap too. looking back I'm not surprised we cocked it up in the 1/4s

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I used to surf Vic Bay with Bianca's old man Ben back in the day. It was great to see him supporting her to become the fantastic surfer she is today. I remember her as this gangly little grom with arms and legs all over the show when she was running up and down the point road towards Rod Hossack's spot at the top of the point where everyone would jump in.

But the moment she paddled for her first wave you just knew she was onto something great and had a bright future ahead of her. Its so awesome to see the fulfilment of that career resulting in an Olympic medal. Ben would have been super proud of her. She must be missing him something fierce today.

indeed, GO BIANCA!

I believe his name was Colin. Think he surfed for Western Province.

59 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

how did we cock that up?

a)anything can happen in sevens

b)coach is in the hotel with covid+ isolation.

c)game time. covid meant our guys didn't do nada. same for everyone, except nz and aus who played each other.

d)we sent a B team. in Rio we had everyone trying to get on the team, even Habana got bat. Kolbe+Kwagga from Rio at least playing in the boks team. But we have many of our best 7s players in the carling frikken currie cup? I'm not sure if SA rugby just don't care about this format anymore, but just Senatla, Kok and Rosco would probably have been enough decent experience and speed. Dylan sage was actually in the shortlist, dunno why he didn't make it.

e)we've lost the Blitz. Branco is slow, he's only back in the team because (c). even our gasman Shakes got schooled.

f)game management. easy with hindsight, but if we played a tighter game, protected the ball the gaps were always going to come.  

Thing is, on paper we should have blitzed passed kenya and ireland, instead we struggled. the US game was naelskraap too. looking back I'm not surprised we cocked it up in the 1/4s

I think you pretty much nailed it, utterly disappointing !

43 minutes ago, hopefield said:

I believe his name was Colin. Think he surfed for Western Province.

You're right. My bad. I confused him with another guy for a second. Thanks.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jewbacca said:

I actually FULLY agree with you.

Had this discussion the other day while out in the water. Absolutely no slating from me!

So after watching the surfing finals I'm even more convinced that surfing at the Olympics should be a wavepool event. Yes the best guy and girl won but as a spectacle it was poor. It could be right up there with the 100m and mens BMX final for exitement.

1. Anyone who's done any surfing knows there are too many weather variables for it to fit into an Olympic schedule

2. That was a bad showcase of what surfing is and can be.

3. Imagine 50000 people packed around a wavepool watching Italo and Medina going balistic. 

4. Those pools are popping up all over and the waves are of a level now that are VERY surfable. There's even one in Switzerland now.

5. Having the event in a pool means you can take it inland. You can schedule it. The playing field is 100% level.

I'll stop whining now. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

So after watching the surfing finals I'm even more convinced that surfing at the Olympics should be a wavepool event. Yes the best guy and girl won but as a spectacle it was poor. It could be right up there with the 100m and mens BMX final for exitement.

1. Anyone who's done any surfing knows there are too many weather variables for it to fit into an Olympic schedule

2. That was a bad showcase of what surfing is and can be.

3. Imagine 50000 people packed around a wavepool watching Italo and Medina going balistic. 

4. Those pools are popping up all over and the waves are of a level now that are VERY surfable. There's even one in Switzerland now.

5. Having the event in a pool means you can take it inland. You can schedule it. The playing field is 100% level.

I'll stop whining now. 

wonder what the plan for paris '24 is?

ok. i just googled it, thought it might be marseilles where the sailing, is, BUT the answer is quite interesting!

(it's in tahiti)

20 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

wonder what the plan for paris '24 is?

ok. i just googled it, thought it might be marseilles where the sailing, is, BUT the answer is quite interesting!

(it's in tahiti)

That's quite far from Paris. I wonder why they aren't going to do it at Hossegor? That's got proper waves at least. But an Olympic final in heaving Teahupo is something I'd watch. 

*Edit. The clue is in the name. Duh. Summer Olympics. The waves in France are pretty dire in the Summer.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

blitzbokkes got past australia.

i got a feeling they would have been demolished by fiji in the semi, and then the same against gbr for bronze.

so now we have the usa again starting in 6 minutes.

fiji vs nz for gold is probably fair

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

No photo description available.

that's our boys chasing the defending olympic champs!

Is it live now? Where are you watching it?

13 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Is it live now? Where are you watching it?

it's 10:30pm in japan now. pretty sure the boat is under cover and the boys are at the hotel sleeping!

BUT seriously, the sailing coverage is hit and miss. best option seems to be get a vpn and stream on a free account on here from our good mates in 'straylia https://7plus.com.au/live-tv

In off-the-wall Olympic news, a two time Olympic kayaking silver medallist has been jailed for 25 years.

olymp.jpg

In a follow up to the Tom D (cyclist) comments regarding the demons he is/was/currently still is facing, what are your thoughts on the "mental health" aspect that has just cropped up in pro sport.

The US female gymnast, Simone Biles has come under fire from a prominent commentator about the timing of quitting. This is a very new thing that is coming up and challenging sports in so many ways.

Osaka pulling out before competition very much is in line with having a health issue. Tom D saying he was getting through a tough year, but came to the Olympics to get a medal. It sort of sits well.

But I will admit to battling with the idea of mental health causing someone to pull out. But then is it any different to a muscle or bone injury. At what point does toughing it out mentally translate into mental damage being caused that needs outside help to repair?

Keen to hear the hub thinking here.