Are there any New Zealand members here

SoloCyclist

Good day, just wanted to know what the cycling culture is like in New Zealand. Any feedback ?

Currently I reside in CT and there are lots of routes to cycle here, mainly road cycling

Considering a move to NZ and wanted to know about the cycling over there

Thanks

40 minutes ago, SoloCyclist said:

Good day, just wanted to know what the cycling culture is like in New Zealand. Any feedback ?

Currently I reside in CT and there are lots of routes to cycle here, mainly road cycling

Thanks

Go to the Off Topics Chit Chat and the place is wurming with Saffers living there

9 hours ago, SoloCyclist said:

Thanks

As many other post, you will get A LOT of information (cycling related and just general living in NZ) in the other NZ thread.

Ummm you can't compare CT with NZ - that is a city vs a country. And depending where in NZ you move your experience will change completely!

My findings summarised:

I use to do 'a bit' of road riding in SA before I moved to NZ, I loved the 100km+ rides on weekends and would do 25-ish in the mornings before work. I moved to NZ thinking I would do more MTBing but Auckland isn't a easy area to go MTBing as trails are far out in all directions. So I did more road rides. There are plenty of separate cycle lanes here now and I got some decent routes that would take me all around Auckland (most between 100-160km). One thing though......the terrain here is HILLY!

If you want to know about generally in NZ I would say gravel style riding is best - oh boy there are heaps and heaps of options, even 'a trail' going from the northern tip of NZ right to the south of the south island. I am a mom now and most of our riding these days involve carrying our little one (soon to be little ones) on the bikes with us, this does not stop us from touring all over with the bicycles as there are plenty of cycle trails all over which you can do and adapt to your own capabilities .. Home | Ngā Haerenga New Zealand Cycle Trails (nzcycletrail.com)

On 6/1/2021 at 12:38 PM, SoloCyclist said:

Thanks

too busy pedalling their boats

m2239_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_15330444984382.png