Vuelta 2021 ????????

'Dale

8 minutes ago, dsw said:

I will not write a rider who has won 2 grand tours at age 24 off so quickly. If he can stay healthy there is no reason why he cannot win quite a few more grand tours in the future. 

true

Maybe im just blinded by the Slovenians strength right now that I cant see past their bright rays of dominance

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dirt Tracker said:

I think Yates was the last holder of the Vuelta one back in '18 when it used to be the white jersey. Personally I used to love the old Tour combination one not sure why they ditched that. 

20161122-tour-de-france-multicoloured-combination-jersey.jpg

There was an interview with the Race Director, where he said the sponsor was heavily involved for a number of years and got the exposure off the Combined Classification jersey. The Young Rider award was introduced in 2016, as a red number, and then from 2019 onwards as the white jersey rebranded as the Young Rider. Whether that interview (in Spanish) is legit, who knows?

https://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/entrevistas-ciclismo/javier-guillen-unipublic-se-opone-a-la-reduccion-de-dias-en-la-vuelta_37309_102.html

Google Translation
We do have the same amount of maillots as the other ones; this is, four. We do not have young classification, and I am not saying we should not have it, but nowadays we have the combination with a sponsor which is very much identified with this ranking since it has been sponsoring La Vuelta for 19 years. The combination is a distinguishing mark of La Vuelta, since it is the only race having it and we want to keep it like this. If we ever get the chance, we could include the young rider classification, but nowadays we think that the podium is full enough.

14 minutes ago, sias said:

Meintjies just crashed out.

As in completely out of the race?

Edit:  Never mind just heard he is completely out, what a shame, he was doing so well ... ????

Edited by TheoG

47 minutes ago, TheoG said:

As in completely out of the race?

Edit:  Never mind just heard he is completely out, what a shame, he was doing so well ... ????

Haven't been watching but just heard.

Very unfortunate after making good progress into top 10.

What a stage... EF and Quickstep are definitely becoming my favourite teams, so nice to watch ! Magnus is a boss !

7 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Easy to forget that Bernal dominated and won the Giro in April, so not completely ineffective. Just ineffective when there's a Slovenian on the start list of a grand tour. 

And Porte won the Dauphine quite emphatically.

They were 1, 2 & 3 at Catalunya. Carapaz won Tour de Suisse, Thomas won Romandie.

Bernal is their best GC rider though, and he chose to do Giro - Vuelta rather than TDF, and got covid right after the Giro. I think there's a chance he'd be closer to Roglic if he hadn't had covid, but obviously there's no way of knowing. He seems to have  gotten stronger over the 3 weeks though. 

Their TDF was obviously not great, and they crashed every second km, but Carapaz still finished 3rd. But Porte and Thomas were completely useless in the tour and I think that hurt their strategy. 

Carapaz won romandie also

Bernal got Covid - hasn't been the same since

Got home after the day’s work and caught the final 2 kilometres. Now fireplace lit, Friday evenings on the couch, chilling hard, catching up with the final hour.

What text book pace lining by the head of the race. Real exciting stuff with no more than 30 seconds between them and the peloton pack of chasing wolves.