Vuelta 2021 ????????

'Dale

3 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Like we saw at world's (coming after the tdf) last year, and the olympics (coming after the tdf) this year, coming into these races with the Vuelta in your legs is going to be an advantage.

Fair point ????

But I understand the decision to pull Pog from the Vuelta. Doing TDF->Olympics->Vuelta->Worlds might have been too much, even for him.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Vetplant said:

Fair point ????

But I understand the decision to pull Pog from the Vuelta. Doing TDF->Olympics->Vuelta->Worlds might have been too much, even for him.

Yeah, I dunno wh even dreamt up the idea of him riding the vuelta. That always seemed a but nutty to me.

@J Wakefield Is it confirmed that Pogacar isn't riding the Vuelta? Any inside scoop on if this was a chance of plan, or if he was never planning on doing it, and the reasons around the decision?

4 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

@J Wakefield Is it confirmed that Pogacar isn't riding the Vuelta? Any inside scoop on if this was a chance of plan, or if he was never planning on doing it, and the reasons around the decision?

The allure of the rainbow jersey ????

5 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

It was on his calender from December already and was/is planning on doing it. Support riders for Tadej were also told in December what their calenders were. Everyone was up to date. 

Remember he has been winning since Feb at UAE tour all the way to July and it has not been small scale races either. 

I can’t give other info out on why what and who at this stage. 

This year's final stage is 33.7 kilometres long through rolling terrain, tough enough and long enough to decide the outcome of the Vuelta. 

On 8/5/2021 at 8:53 PM, 'Dale said:

I left a day counter meme on The Classics thread. ???? Can’t remember details, maybe 6 weeks or so

Last I saw was 69 days

Looking at the preliminary start list, it's pretty hard to look past Rog or Bernal winning. IMO, Astana look a good threat and have loaded up with Spanish riders and with the usual monster Spanish hills beckoning, only the strongest legs will make it to the top steps. There's only 40km of ITT in total, so takes away a bit of Rog's super TT form, though Bernal isn't too shabby himself

A decent dark horse bet will be Pozzovivo - tiny guy with a big heart. I think he's get more than a few good finishes. It'd be good to see Ryan Gibbons get a few results too.

That said, some teams are yet to finalise their starters, so perhaps we'll see some other names popping up. After a bumper Olympics, there's the shortest of breaks before the final GT of 2021.

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

Looking at the preliminary start list, it's pretty hard to look past Rog or Bernal winning. IMO, Astana look a good threat and have loaded up with Spanish riders and with the usual monster Spanish hills beckoning, only the strongest legs will make it to the top steps. There's only 40km of ITT in total, so takes away a bit of Rog's super TT form, though Bernal isn't too shabby himself

A decent dark horse bet will be Pozzovivo - tiny guy with a big heart. I think he's get more than a few good finishes. It'd be good to see Ryan Gibbons get a few results too.

That said, some teams are yet to finalise their starters, so perhaps we'll see some other names popping up. After a bumper Olympics, there's the shortest of breaks before the final GT of 2021.

this is the Vuelta, anything can happen!

Ineos sit in an interesting spot, Bernal + Carapaz + AYates. one would assume the second two are there as superdoms or if something goes poof.

Roglic has got half a tdf and olympics, but more rest than planned and a decent backup squad

the best of the rest, could be anyone really. even someone like jack haig was looking good at tdf before his whoopsie and might be in form here

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

this is the Vuelta, anything can happen!

Ineos sit in an interesting spot, Bernal + Carapaz + AYates. one would assume the second two are there as superdoms or if something goes poof.

Roglic has got half a tdf and olympics, but more rest than planned and a decent backup squad

the best of the rest, could be anyone really. even someone like jack haig was looking good at tdf before his whoopsie and might be in form here

I'm surprised you inserted Yates and not Pidcock....

Seems the teams aren't all confirmed, but it's definitely time for some wild hot takes even though I haven't looked at the parkour........

Rogla dominates the Vuelta.....

We spend 3 weeks wondering what would have happened if Rogla didn't crash 73 times at the tour....

Ineos fight to have a man on the podium again but aren't able to match Rogla...... (maybe even finish 2nd and 3rd)

Pidcock is kept on a leash riding for Bernal & Yates.... (#freepidcock trends on twitter)

Jakobson wins a stage and everyone cries big man tears.....

Ewan doesn't finish.....

Landa fights to stay on the podium in the final TT....

Breakaway cohesion is non-existent. 30km solo attacks from the break win stages...

Matthews comes 2nd on at least one stage....

Rim brakes will win a mountain top finish, proving nothing, but will be discussed anyway....

Padun wins a stage.... Conspiracies fly about why he wasn't at the tour.... 

3 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Seems the teams aren't all confirmed, but it's definitely time for some wild hot takes even though I haven't looked at the parkour........

Rogla dominates the Vuelta.....

We spend 3 weeks wondering what would have happened if Rogla didn't crash 73 times at the tour....

Ineos fight to have a man on the podium again but aren't able to match Rogla...... (maybe even finish 2nd and 3rd)

Pidcock is kept on a leash riding for Bernal & Yates.... (#freepidcock trends on twitter)

Jakobson wins a stage and everyone cries big man tears.....

Ewan doesn't finish.....

Landa fights to stay on the podium in the final TT....

Breakaway cohesion is non-existent. 30km solo attacks from the break win stages...

Matthews comes 2nd on at least one stage....

Rim brakes will win a mountain top finish, proving nothing, but will be discussed anyway....

Padun wins a stage.... Conspiracies fly about why he wasn't at the tour.... 

Cool summary, thanks. Can see all of this happening. 

18 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I'm surprised you inserted Yates and not Pidcock....

ja sure, Pidcock could win la Vuelta. just not this year.

If anyone is going to win their first ever grandtour start, it's him, but he's behind sivakov too in the pecking order for this one.

stage 18... 14.6km @9.8% has my knees calling the orthopedic surgeon... and this on a day with 2x cat1 and a cat2

Google says it looks like this. If it's a poor-weather day, all finishers will be winners IMO

image.png.df2deef0e549c8b6d5199ffba82597e1.png