Roof insulation

BaGearA

Looking to maybe install roof insulation in our home and was wondering about pricing , quality ect. ect. 

260mm s/m inside ( don't think that includes the garage ) 

IS it usually priced for the entire area or per square meter  ? Any warning signs i should look out for from either suppliers or installers ?

Can I install it myself ? Like is it literally just spreading the stuff over the entire ceiling , cause i can do that no prob.

What should i expect to pay / whatever else you think is worth knowing before jumping in 

Pay someone else to do it. It is a crap job to do and the pros do it neatly. 

Price indication quoted below from when we did it in February 2017. Worth every cent. 

"

A 180 m² Aerolite(135mm) installation in Gauteng will cost you R 13 500.00 all inclusive, provided that it is a pitched roof with an accessible flat ceiling.

The price quoted will include:

- Cost of material (Aerolite 135mm)

- Cost of labour

- Travelling

- Vat

- Geyser insulation

- Water pipe insulation"

I bought Isotherm 100mm rolls.

Then I cut the rolls to the width to fit between my roof beams. We cut it with scissors, but apparently a saw would have worked as well. 

Then I waited until night when it was colder in the roof and laid the rolls between the beams. We have a big house, so it was spread over two nights, and a friend helped me. 

But it was the best cheap upgrade we've done. I hardly ever use the aircon or a heater. 

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I bought Isotherm 100mm rolls.

Then I cut the rolls to the width to fit between my roof beams. We cut it with scissors, but apparently a saw would have worked as well

Then I waited until night when it was colder in the roof and laid the rolls between the beams. We have a big house, so it was spread over two nights, and a friend helped me. 

But it was the best cheap upgrade we've done. I hardly ever use the aircon or a heater. 

The biggest bread knife you can locate was the best option I could come up with. Did the job myself once about 20 years ago. Never again!

as the others have said, pay someone else to do it, I've dont 2 houses myself and paid someone to do the 3rd.

Try not to get the fibreglass one, even if someone else does it, everytime you go into the roof for anything it itches like crazy, 3rd house I did we used Isotherm which is recycled plastic bottles. much better.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

as the others have said, pay someone else to do it, I've dont 2 houses myself and paid someone to do the 3rd.

Try not to get the fibreglass one, even if someone else does it, everytime you go into the roof for anything it itches like crazy, 3rd house I did we used Isotherm which is recycled plastic bottles. much better.

100% the reason I went for isotherm. And the fact that it doesn't burn. 

BaGearA is young, and his house is small. He should be fine. 

I still need to do one room, and I'll do the flatlet later as well. 

But if you are paying someone else to do it, you may as well get a quote from the spray foam insulation guys. 

Edited by PhilipV

I have Think Pink in my roof of the main part of the house, but nothing in another room we added on. The stuff makes no difference in ambient temperatures within each room. I wouldn't recommend it, and I certainly wouldn't do it myself for the additional part of the house.

I've looked around at other products, but just never got around to doing it.