Woman MTB Bike choice

Regelex

My wife is looking to by an entry level hardtail mountain bike. 

We are looking at options but not sure in terms of whether to get a woman specific bike or just an ordinary hardtail. 

I am looking for advice from women riders on what their experience has been. Please ????

Regards

ordinary hardtail should work fine, but you may need to change the saddle (that's what I did for my wife)

as @Headshot said, it's important to make sure you get the correct frame size

I might not be a woman but agree, I got a Small changed a few things and now my wife is very comfy on het bike(Titan Skyrim comp)

my 2c

Before someone gets their nickers in a not, I am not a woman, but purchased 3 bikes over the course of the last 4 months for my wife. 

Use it dont use it, if she is new to riding

- Get a nice woman specific seat, Liv makes great woman specific seats

- Consider a dropper post, it made a huge difference in my wife's confidence to be able to drop the seat on a non specific ladies bike that does not have top tube that is lower / curved at the seat tube

- Book her some lessons with a good coach

- Dont coach her :) or you might get mangled :)

For information I am a woman.

When I bought my Mtb a few years ago I also thought any bike with a few modifications would work. Then I decided on a woman specifically Mtb. The bike just works better. So if you have to choose,  buy a woman specifically bike for your wife otherwise you are going to have to buy another bike within the next year.

Just my view.

Safe cycling .

20 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

Are you a woman?

Apparently these days you can't ask someone that question like that. I believe you have to ask what do they identify as.

PS:I am still struggling to find comic sans on this new site.

21 minutes ago, Ria Jacobs said:

For information I am a woman.

When I bought my Mtb a few years ago I also thought any bike with a few modifications would work. Then I decided on a woman specifically Mtb. The bike just works better. So if you have to choose,  buy a woman specifically bike for your wife otherwise you are going to have to buy another bike within the next year.

Just my view.

Safe cycling .

My wife had a string of men sized bikes and was never comfortable.

I then had her sized on Trek WS MTB and road bike and she did not look back

Only brand that comes to mind for women's specific is Liv. 

Not sure if the industry is still like this but a couple of years ago "women's specific" was a marketing term is sell heavier bikes with lower spec components in pink with a small frame. I assume this has changed. No more "shrink it and pink it" 

My fiancé bought a mens small last year and the only things we did... set the sag, rebound, compression correctly and made sure the saddle is the correct shape and size for her. The saddle that came with the bike turned out to be perfect. 

1. Get the right size
2. Get a bike fit done
3. Go for at least an introduction to mtb lesson or two.
4. Start with flat pedals. Don't get suckered into clipless from the start.

I am an oddly shaped man and I ride a woman specific road bike.

Long torso, long arms, super short legs. (Basically a primate)

I test rode a heap of bikes and the LIV avail worked best for me. It also came in glitter plumb purple.

The low slung top tube but same lengths made it perfect. It also came standard with 400 compact drop bars which are perfect, so the only mods I made to fit, were a 20mm longer slammed stem and a man specific power saddle. I did also swap out for some 42mm deep carbon wheels but that is not relevant but is OH so sweet........

I love the bike. 

It just proves that FIT trumps everything. Not all members of genders are made equal.

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I am an oddly shaped man and I ride a woman specific road bike.

Long torso, long arms, super short legs. (Basically a primate)

I test rode a heap of bikes and the LIV avail worked best for me. It also came in glitter plumb purple.

The low slung top tube but same lengths made it perfect. It also came standard with 400 compact drop bars which are perfect, so the only mods I made to fit, were a 20mm longer slammed stem and a man specific power saddle. I did also swap out for some 42mm deep carbon wheels but that is not relevant but is OH so sweet........

I love the bike. 

It just proves that FIT trumps everything. Not all members of genders are made equal.

But we all know it was the glitter plumb purple that had you at first sight....

13 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

But we all know it was the glitter plumb purple that had you at first sight....

It definitely beats the terrible red blue or generic variation they release for the men. But it was just a bonus. 

The sad thing is I really really like the look of road bikes with a flat/horizontal top tube. They just look better to me.

But due to my primate physiology I am doomed to never own one...... That or run the risk of falling over at traffic lights

Edited by Jewbacca