Woman MTB Bike choice

Regelex

10 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I can't believe no one asked the OP how tall the wife is. Maybe she NEEDS a 26er...

This is really important... My wife is 1.8m, and has no problem riding "mens" bikes - 54/56 on a road bike or Large in a MTB. A smaller framed woman (1.6-1.65m, or with shorter legs, would be better suited at looking at a frame with woman specific geometry) 

When considering buying a bike, there is far more choice and better pricing when looking at "mens" bikes, than when only limiting your options to woman's brands/models. 

My 5 cents ????

8 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Remember kids, wheel size is not the same as frame size. (even if one is built like @Jewbacca)

my wife is on a 27.5 because we couldn't get a decent specced bike in xs frame in 29" (and she preferred the handling from the smaller wheels)

Here is my two cent's worth

Do not try to teach her any skills yourself if you have been riding a bike for years and she is a total beginner and you thought she 'knew some stuff' and 'the trail is really easy' and look confused when she wipes out #justsaying.........

A lady specific bike I have personally  never found to make much difference but I have quite long legs so a men's bike was perfect for me.

A  lady specific saddle most definitely does make a difference so I would really suggest that as a minimum. 

See what size bike she feels comfortable with and not just what is theoretically correct, i.e. her height may indicate one size frame but maybe her torso vs leg length would be more comfortable with a different size. 

I would really recommend a skills clinic session 

Did I mention the bit about not trying to teach her any skills yourself?  ????

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Only brand that comes to mind for women's specific is Liv. 

Not sure if the industry is still like this but a couple of years ago "women's specific" was a marketing term is sell heavier bikes with lower spec components in pink with a small frame. I assume this has changed. No more "shrink it and pink it" 

My fiancé bought a mens small last year and the only things we did... set the sag, rebound, compression correctly and made sure the saddle is the correct shape and size for her. The saddle that came with the bike turned out to be perfect. 

1. Get the right size
2. Get a bike fit done
3. Go for at least an introduction to mtb lesson or two.
4. Start with flat pedals. Don't get suckered into clipless from the start.

When it comes to LIV Bikes I'd identify as a woman too. They are superb from a geometry perspective for anyone shorter than 175cm. They have just nailed the geo in this size range.

Also they design the bikes with lighter tubing and carbon layups since women don't have to lug as much of the weight around since they're generally lighter and less muscular than men of similar height and build. Definitely the only brand that does design bikes specifically for women. Everyone else just does a colour job with narrower bars and a different saddle

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Only brand that comes to mind for women's specific is Liv. 

Not sure if the industry is still like this but a couple of years ago "women's specific" was a marketing term is sell heavier bikes with lower spec components in pink with a small frame. I assume this has changed. No more "shrink it and pink it" 

My fiancé bought a mens small last year and the only things we did... set the sag, rebound, compression correctly and made sure the saddle is the correct shape and size for her. The saddle that came with the bike turned out to be perfect. 

1. Get the right size
2. Get a bike fit done
3. Go for at least an introduction to mtb lesson or two.
4. Start with flat pedals. Don't get suckered into clipless from the start.

Momsen Mia is the only other I can think of now.

I have heard really good things about LIV being an excellent choice for ladies.

I will be getting my wife a LIV when she is due for a new bike.

In terms of coaching, Sarah Hill (Female Pro) here in Gauteng focuses on lady specific skills training.  

4 minutes ago, Avo said:

I have heard really good things about LIV being an excellent choice for ladies.

I will be getting my wife a LIV when she is due for a new bike.

In terms of coaching, Sarah Hill (Female Pro) here in Gauteng focuses on lady specific skills training.  

Also Victoria Rose does ladies clinics.  Ride like a girl is the brand name.

3 hours ago, fanievb said:

my wife is on a 27.5 because we couldn't get a decent specced bike in xs frame in 29" (and she preferred the handling from the smaller wheels)

Friends wife is certainly tall enough for a 29er.  They test rode various bikes .... she took the 26 in a Large frame ....

Somehow the "feel" of the bike just worked for her.

I know a few ladies who swear by "woman specific" bikes, then also a couple who insist on "male bikes" purely due to the perception of better specification levels .....  Clearly a very individual choice !

Would suggest the OP test ride both, and find what works for HER.

@Jewbacca ..... I was in a Giant concept store when a lady spoke her mind about the "vivid colours" of the LIV models on the floor .... simply no way she was buying those colours .... :whistling:  And I was silently wishing my Trance looked that good .... :ph34r:

The OP asked about entry level HT bikes not the latest LIV super carbon geo tuned stuff. Just to get the thread back on track and put my initial comment in perspective.

*I am married to a woman and have some experience in sorting out bike fit for her. Most bikes, especially cheap ones will need adjustment, be it to bar height, stem length, seat shape and width.