Interest rates

Plentipotential

sort of the same topic.

Best interest rate for a tax free savings account? For my 16 year old daughter - she is earning money from tutoring and wants to save it, so will be an initial lump sum and then varying monthly amounts.

20 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

sort of the same topic.

Best interest rate for a tax free savings account? For my 16 year old daughter - she is earning money from tutoring and wants to save it, so will be an initial lump sum and then varying monthly amounts.

What is the purpose of the tax-free account? Keep in mind that any withdrawals cannot be 're-made' like a normal savings account.

i.e. If you've reached your R36K/year cap, and withdraw R6K, you can't put it back at a later stage in the same financial year without incurring penalties.

If it's for long-term investment look at Sygnia who offer a 0% fee TFSA.

24 minutes ago, bertusras said:

What is the purpose of the tax-free account? Keep in mind that any withdrawals cannot be 're-made' like a normal savings account.

i.e. If you've reached your R36K/year cap, and withdraw R6K, you can't put it back at a later stage in the same financial year without incurring penalties.

If it's for long-term investment look at Sygnia who offer a 0% fee TFSA.

she's earning a couple of hundred R's a month for tutoring. Definitely not going to hit R36k a year.

8 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

she's earning a couple of hundred R's a month for tutoring. Definitely not going to hit R36k a year.

What about unit trusts or shares or something like that? She doesn't really need the 'safety' of interest rate accounts, and can maybe afford to take a chance on the markets, longer term. I'm sure there are tax-free ETF accounts too if you still want to go that way.

yes have thought of that. Not sure what the minimum monthly contribution is on a ETF though

But again, what is the purpose of her savings? Is she saving to go on holiday at the end of the year? Is she saving because she wants to buy a new car in two years? Is she saving for varsity? 

What you want to do with the money, and when you will need it is a key factor in determining the investment vehicle.

He's some help from Allan Gray, where you can invest from as little as R500/month:

spacer.png

Edited by bertusras

7 hours ago, MTBeer said:

Why go through the complexity and rigidity of an interest bearing Tax free savings account when the first R22k of interest earned is exempt from tax? If she's looking for an equity type investment there are plenty of these with R250 minimum monthly investment limits.