Is second hand prices killing cycling??

MORNE1102

Why is a second hand 2013 Epic worth 35K-40k? In my very humble opinion, the second hand bike market in general is limiting the entry of a lot of south Africans into the sport. Apart from this 3rd party "2nd hand" hoard and smous vendors drive the prices up further. Its a absolute joke. 

We need a form of standardisation. 

Change my mind :) 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, new bike prices are "killing cycling" by driving second hand prices up. Paired with far higher demand as people are spending more time outdoors after lockdown (I am cycling as a product of lockdown), and decreased supply as firms can not produce at full capacity, prices are rising making cycling more expensive. It can still be done affordably though, so I would not say cycling is being killed. 

The prices are what they are because there is demand - if someone else is willing/able to pay more than you then tough luck. If no-one will pay the asking price then the price will have to come down. That's how economics work. Cycling is definitely not being "killed" - exactly the opposite in fact. 

And don't call someone a "tool" for responding to your question. His comment follows the exact same logic your question does so does that make you a "tool"?

Personally I think disregard for human life by other road users and criminals is one of the largest barriers to entry in cycling. Paired with. As mentioned above, cycling participation is actually growing, so your base premise that cycling is being killed is also wrong.

1 minute ago, Edge_Design said:

The prices are what they are because there is demand - if someone else is willing/able to pay more than you then tough luck. If no-one will pay the asking price then the price will have to come down. That's how economics work. Cycling is definitely not being "killed" - exactly the opposite in fact. 

And don't call someone a "tool" for responding to your question. His comment follows the exact same logic your question does so does that make you a "tool"?

More like killing the OP's pocket. 

Shop around there are nicer bikes for less than spaz!!

Have a look at the prices of new Specialized and Treks and then you will see why there is demand in the second hand market.  Couple that with an increase in interest in the sport and then you have an amped up demand, and also a massive shortage of components owing to a global spike in interest for many reasons = demand above supply. Prices go up as more money chases less stock. Simple demand and supply.

Values of bikes are unrelated to input costs in any way.

Specialized is overpriced for what you get IMO. My brother in law bought a Chisel in January and I couldnt understand why it cost so much. Retail back then was around R28k and it doesnt even come with a dropper post. I know the groupset is probably where the money lies but I just felt it is too much.

Prices of new bikes skyrocketed the past year, supply of new bikes is very limited. I have been shopping for one for a while, it's economics.

10 minutes ago, MORNE1102 said:

dont be a tool

You: People can't pay 20% of the original value of a top of the range bike, and therefore can't afford to enter cycling.

Me: People can't pay 20% of the original value of a top of the range car, and therefore can't afford to drive down to Spar Woolies.

Its exactly the same.

How can you possibly not see the disconnect between arguing (super)bikes, against entry level riding around?

The fact that there is an active second hand market is encouraging cycling. It enables many cyclists to acquire quality cycles (and accessories etc) at reasonable (affordable) prices. This is really good for bringing cycling to the people.

5 minutes ago, Markusg said:

The fact that there is an active second hand market is encouraging cycling. It enables many cyclists to acquire quality cycles (and accessories etc) at reasonable (affordable) prices. This is really good for bringing cycling to the people.

agreed - i think the OP would have a valid premise if he said even the second hand market is skyrocketing and demand outstripping supply so the accessibility is being compromised.