Is second hand prices killing cycling??

MORNE1102

18 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

The thing is that in terms of cycling here are a lot of high net worth individuals who are in to this sport as it appeals to the segment and who who are by their nature wealthy and being execs are also busy and time depleted so they dont have a great return on doing the research and solve the problem by using their wealth rather than their time.  This is the market segment the people like the Specialized and Cannondale concept shops appeal to - they are selling the lifestyle and the vision, not the technical merits of a bike. Dont knock the lifestyle shops for executing an advanced marketing strategy where they are selling value above the features of the bike.You buy in to a brand and the lifestyle that brand image espouses. You may say a fool and his money are easily parted but every luxury brand in the world exploits this aspirational quality in humans

I hear you.  Although I probably can afford a high end brand name bike I simply refuse.  I don't however compromise on quality/specs, BUT, at the right price.  If sensible, it is possible to build a high end bike for far less than simply selecting one from a store.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of uneducated "customers" that is willing to pay whatever is being asked without thoroughly knowing exactly what they even buying.  Shops/Sellers exploit this fact to the maximum.  Also there is a lot of rich dumb asses that also open there wallets wide just to be able to say I ride a spaz/trek/cannondale etc etc

I always go out of my way to shop around and search for the best price possible, new or secondhand.  It would help a lot if most can do that, will for sure drive the prices down.

You will actually find that most people who have built up the wealth to afford top end bikes, are not the dumb asses that you would like them to be ;)

4 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

You will actually find that most people who have built up the wealth to afford top end bikes, are not the dumb asses that you would like them to be ;)

Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule.  Lets agree to disagree, I maintain, most of them are not so familiar with the technical details ... ????

Edited by TheoG

5 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

No, the dumbasses are the guys like me who have about 80% of their net worth invested in bicycles with no car. 

20 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

No, the dumbasses are the guys like me who have about 80% of their net worth invested in bicycles with no car. 

It could be argued that you are part of the population who has their priorities sorted ..... :whistling:

just dont try to argue that point in the Cape Town rain .... :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Kranswurm said:

But not middle of the range.No sizes.

Not everyone wants entry level

True but then they shouldn't be on here crying about cycling being excessively priced if they are ignoring entry level and staring at a top end super bike.

10 hours ago, TheoG said:

Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule.  Lets agree to disagree, I maintain, most of them are not so familiar with the technical details ... ????

I'm not familiar with Mazda's Skyactive tech .... I still want one 

I'm not familiar with how super hybrids recover energy from their brakes to fuel the the batteries .... I still want one 

To be honest i don't understand how a single thing one this kickass desktop of mine works but I still built and payed for one 

Just cause someone can afford something that they know nothing about doesn't make them less of A person 

Can't remember who said it " You can't hate someone for the life their born into" 

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

There IS stock. People are just obsessed with having kit that exceeds their ability.

Much the same as school run 4x4s, cupboard bound kitchen aids, grade 5s with top end cricket bats etc....

To 'get into' cycling you can buy one of many less extravagant bicycles, new or used, at a more affordable (read reasonable) price point THAT RELATES to your skill set.

South Africans are very tri-athlete...... all the gear no idea and super proud and possessive about having XTR over SLX despite being solid mid packers that could comfortably run mid range kit..

Excess and a pride of excess in this country still suggests 'class' or social standing, despite it being completely unnecessary 99% of the time

3 hours ago, Chris_ said:

One - have you seen our roads...

Two - don't you dare talk ill of my kitchen cupboard dreams!

(+ another one for comic sans desperation)

Sorry Chris ... us CT riders do not know this terrible road situation you are referring to!

There is obviously the issue of do the second-hand bikes actually sell at those prices?

I have been keeping an eye on the 2nd gravel bikes for my old man over the last six months and it is amazing how many are re advertised over time. Especially the over expensive ones are shown for a week or two, disappear, then pop up again a month later, and the cycle is repeated. Whereas the reasonably priced ones disappear quickly and forever.

Edited by Baracuda

1 hour ago, marko35s said:

True but then they shouldn't be on here crying about cycling being excessively priced if they are ignoring entry level and staring at a top end super bike.

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand dual sus. Have been looking at the 2nd hand market, but prices are too high for me, considering value and components.

I've contacted Titan on an Alu DS entry/mid level spec. No stock and nothing available for the next x months, only mid to high range carbon.

Edited by Roul

5 minutes ago, Roul said:

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand dual sus. Have been looking at the 2nd hand market, but prices are too high for me, considering value and components.

I've contacted Titan on an Alu DS entry/mid level spec. No stock and nothing available for the next x months, only mid to high range carbon.

It is this very lack of stock that fuels the higher 2nd hand prices ... ????

Few months ago I was hunting the classifieds for a particular bike .... searched maybe 200, found 2 or 3 very nice bikes.  Sadly, or rather fortuatously, these were either too big or too small.

Turns out I found the perfect bike at a dealer ????  demo stock being sold at VERY reasonable prices ????  in fact, the one item I would have changed they offered to swop out for free.

YES, surf the classifieds.  The odd good deal comes up every so often .... and gets grabbed up quick.

Then again .... well worth making a reasonable offer when you see a bike you like ....  some will see it as low balling ... MANY build in room for negotiation in their list price.

Actually .... nothing new ... just higher asking prices, in line with supply and demand

Here is some insight from a used bike dealer's perspective as to why prices are higher

1) Massive increase in demand

2) Massive shortage in supply

3) The market is strong, so trade in prices are higher as bikes are holding their value. So we paying more than usual and therefore have to sell for higher than usual 

4) Massive increase in new bike prices. The trade value is linked to the retail value and increases according. 

Great news for guys who bought new bikes, your bikes will hold a lot more value than previous years 

Great news for guys who bought used bikes, as you might be able to sell your bike for more or less the same than what you paid for it a year ago. 

Cycling is definitely not dying, there has been a massive boom of new cyclists since lockdown and its not yet slowing down

4 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Sorry Hairy, it all depends where in Cape Town you are. The city does not work for many areas

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/watch-is-this-the-worst-street-in-south-africa-55f92062-72a2-435d-b892-c8da7055a563

Sadly they have dropped their delivery rate in many areas .... irks to see the steady decline ....

And then business takes me to others parts and I realise it could have been worse ....

Nice election slogan : "vote for us, it could be worse.... "