Is second hand prices killing cycling??

MORNE1102

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

You will actually find that most people who have built up the wealth to afford top end bikes, are not the dumb asses that you would like them to be ;)

No but they buy into the marketing hype that is created to push prices up. It is what it is.

10 hours ago, Chris_ said:

I think admin sent Morne here to post this so us sad off-topic'ers could have a vent. 

You are onto something.  Admin also want us to stop pestering them about comments on the classifieds. (Comic Sans) 

11 hours ago, RocknRolla said:

Just get back at them by dropping them on the climbs and the descents.

works everytime

19 hours ago, MORNE1102 said:

Why is a second hand 2013 Epic worth 35K-40k? In my very humble opinion, the second hand bike market in general is limiting the entry of a lot of south Africans into the sport. Apart from this 3rd party "2nd hand" hoard and smous vendors drive the prices up further. Its a absolute joke. 

We need a form of standardisation. 

Change my mind :) 

Wot?

It's second hand. The buyers set the price, not the sellers.

As already mentioned. it is what it is I guess, I have been trying to scavenge parts on here for a while now for a new project, but parts are like hens teeth at the moment. That drives up asking prices. if you are in possession of any kind of mid tier groupset for instance you are ELITE ek se LOL. brakes...forget it.

I'm trying to put together a cx/gravel bike - it will be HUGE...like in mid 60cm huge haha, but i'm building it for me and for comfort and my crazy long legs so i don't care that it wont fit the cosmetic norms of the clique. I promise you it will still be cool though....becuse it wont conform to any cookie cutter conventions. 

the avarage big-brand-joe can think of my understated steel bikes what they want. They propbably think they are makro brands haha. I dont care, i know what they are and what they mean to me and what it took to build them from scratch.  

Like everyone, I take pride in my bikes and  people who know and appreciate usually give a compliment in passing...even if it's a 40y old vintage steel road bike and they are on the most expensive carbon thing imaginable. 

Edited by MORNE

17 hours ago, Hellwarp said:

How an Epic S-Works Evo costs the same as a KTM 790 adventure baffles the mind though ...

Absolutely. There must be some obscene profit margins in there.

Supply and demand bruff.  Willing buyers and willing sellers.  If a buyer is prepared to pay 35k for a 2nd hand spez, then the seller is free to sell at 35k.  If the 35k spez is not selling, then the seller has to keep the machine or drop his price until he meets a willing buyer.  Its simple economics.
The fact that people are paying that type of money for a bicycle, shows how alive and vibrant the sport actually is.

Btw, I say a new set of zipp 353's at a local bike shop for a nice 89k.  If people are willing to spend 89k on a set of wheels, what you complaining about then?

11 hours ago, gummibear said:

I just ignore people that tell me what I should ride.One of my favorite bikes is my steel Ritchey.I often get told I must ride carbon because it’s the best and lightest but I just smile and say “ok sure”.

2C6C287B-898C-441D-B932-23DF63CE6015.jpeg

WoW thats hot and fire engine red nogals!!

11 hours ago, gummibear said:

I just ignore people that tell me what I should ride.One of my favorite bikes is my steel Ritchey.I often get told I must ride carbon because it’s the best and lightest but I just smile and say “ok sure”.

2C6C287B-898C-441D-B932-23DF63CE6015.jpeg

is that an evil eye hanging from the saddle ?

Edited by ouzo

20 hours ago, NickGM said:

Broadly speaking the price of  bikes (new or used) has increased because (a) Covid impacted production rates and distribution and (b) more people have taken up riding. 

So one of the reasons driving the price up is the increased popularity of cycling. ie: cycling is not dying, it is more alive than it has ever been. 

It's just a bummer that bikes are becoming more expensive.

I think you actually need to look at data. In the first world, bike prices have not shot up because of Covid. Yes there are shortages and perhaps second hand bikes are now more sought after. You now get a far better bike for the same or less money than you did 10 years ago in the USA or Canada when prices are inflation adjusted. Pinkbike did a comparison a week or so back. 

SA is a skewed third world market that is heavily influenced by currency fluctuations and possibly price gouging by retailers. Would be interesting if any industry insiders can comment on mark ups on new bikes. 

Edited by Headshot

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I think you actually need to look at data. In the first world, bike prices have not shot up because of Covid. Yes there are shortages and perhaps second hand bikes are now more sought after. You now get a far better bike for the same or less money than you did 10 years ago in the USA or Canada when prices are inflation adjusted. Pinkbike did a comparison a week or so back. 

SA is a skewed third world market that is heavily influenced by currency fluctuations and possibly price gouging by retailers. Would be interesting if any industry insiders can comment on mark ups on new bikes. 

That's like asking the illuminati to admit to being in charge of world governements...

See what happened to CWC when they challenged the status quo. Same happened in other markets and now it's all geo-locked.

I for one, will not subscribe to this "research and development" super-duper-carbon magic-dust woven with the hairs from a unicorns tail, to justify prices being charged for bicycles. 

At this stage, what you are paying for is huge marketing budgets, free bikes for elite riders (enter the Formula 1 technology filters down argument) and distribution agents and importers and every-one else's finger in the pie.

I suppose it's called economics, but I cant help feeling like the frog in the pot of water....