Sabie - Nelspruit - White River - Graskop - Hazyview Road Bike Rides

jackievs

Any recommendations / advice for riding your road bike from town to town / loops in this area?  I notice 3 nice routes on Bikemap but without any comments... Anyone have experience on these routes... and anyone interested do some of these rides .. I would prefer not to do it solo.... 

Find the route of the Jock Cycle Classic. Runs form Nelspruit to White River to Sabie and back to Nelspruit and then choose sections of it. Or do the whole ride ????

Edited by Prince

39 minutes ago, jackievs said:

Any recommendations / advice for riding your road bike from town to town / loops in this area?  I notice 3 nice routes on Bikemap but without any comments... Anyone have experience on these routes... and anyone interested do some of these rides .. I would prefer not to do it solo.... 

Contact Dylan Victor. His family hails from that part of the world and he does (or was doing) some amazing tours and riding camps in that area. 

Some of the most amazing road riding around 

There is great riding in the area, lots of quietish roads with a nice yellow shoulder, but not much flat! Depending where you are based White River-Sabie and back on the R537 is a good run, can also carry on to Graskop on the R532 but probably want to meet someone for pancakes there and get a lift back depending on how fit you are. Sabie up the start of Long Tom (R532) then down the R37 to Brondal and accross to White River (road is a bit rough) then back to Sabie.  Or can carry on past Brondal to edge of Nelspruit and back. This was used quite a bit in the Panorama Tour. If you really want to climb then go from Nelspruit up to the top of Kaapshoop for coffee and back. 

The R40 White River - Hazyview has a shoulder but can get pretty busy and not sure if people are regularly riding from that road to Sabies (eg through Kiepersol) , was getting a bit busy and rough.  Have friends in the area who ride, so pm me if interested and will see if they want to ride or at least can give you some updated info.

21 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4047935752

Did this loop a couple of times now.  Good shoulder for most of the time.  

If you want to climb a bit more you can continue out to Lydenburg a little further and get Long Tom pass in also

how are the roads closer to hazeyview in terms of safety ?

went out there in 2019 and decided not to take the bike as I'd have to ride through hazeyview to get anywhere and I was not sure the roads were safe enough. 

13 minutes ago, ouzo said:

how are the roads closer to hazeyview in terms of safety ?

went out there in 2019 and decided not to take the bike as I'd have to ride through hazeyview to get anywhere and I was not sure the roads were safe enough. 

The route shown in link was (for me) 100% okay.  I did not feel unsafe at any point.

I think if you head out North on the Hayzyview road towards Bushbuck ridge, it might get a bit dodge.
We did this ride back in September last year.
The circled bit was where you went through the informal settlement.  At no stage did we feel unsafe but I won't ride alone there at night.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4051851641

Untitled.jpg

You aware of good bike shop(s) in Sabie, should you need to get something sorted on the bike...? 

Edited by jackievs
Typo

14 hours ago, geomark said:

There is great riding in the area, lots of quietish roads with a nice yellow shoulder, but not much flat! Depending where you are based White River-Sabie and back on the R537 is a good run, can also carry on to Graskop on the R532 but probably want to meet someone for pancakes there and get a lift back depending on how fit you are. Sabie up the start of Long Tom (R532) then down the R37 to Brondal and accross to White River (road is a bit rough) then back to Sabie.  Or can carry on past Brondal to edge of Nelspruit and back. This was used quite a bit in the Panorama Tour. If you really want to climb then go from Nelspruit up to the top of Kaapshoop for coffee and back. 

The R40 White River - Hazyview has a shoulder but can get pretty busy and not sure if people are regularly riding from that road to Sabies (eg through Kiepersol) , was getting a bit busy and rough.  Have friends in the area who ride, so pm me if interested and will see if they want to ride or at least can give you some updated info.

Thank you 

15 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Contact Dylan Victor. His family hails from that part of the world and he does (or was doing) some amazing tours and riding camps in that area. 

Some of the most amazing road riding around 

Thank you, you have a number or link? 

2 hours ago, jackievs said:

You aware of good bike shop(s) in Sabie, should you need to get something sorted on the bike...? 

I only know of Bells (specialized) and Cycle Tribe in Nelspruit

1 hour ago, geomark said:

I only know of Bells (specialized) and Cycle Tribe in Nelspruit

Thank you for all your responses!

Most of the roads are good with shoulders.

Speak to Anton at Clycle Tribe, most of the rides start from their shop at Halls just outside Nelspruit.

As you leave town turn left or right and start climbing.  As mentioned those roads are generally good with mostly a good shoulder.  Watch out for timber trucks.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:56 PM, David Marshall said:

As you leave town turn left or right and start climbing.  As mentioned those roads are generally good with mostly a good shoulder.  Watch out for timber trucks.

Thank you