Looking for a new group to ride with - Spruit weekdays, Gauteng weekends

Battery_Chick

Hi there

I got back on the bike (MTB that is) about 2 months ago. I want to spend more time riding with my dad but yesterday I carried on riding with his buddies after he turned back and when I lost the group after Albert's, they suggested that I meet them 5km away and then didn't wait for me, leaving me to find my own way back to the Junction. I felt exceptionally unsafe and have lost trust in this group. I'm looking for new riding buddies. I can ride Tuesdays or Thursdays from about 3h30 from the Junction and Saturdays or Sundays at any location around Gauteng (Northern Farm, Spruit, etc). I'm riding the Junction to Emmarentia and back at about 15km/hr ave and maybe a bit slower on a longer ride while I build up endurance. 

Looking for riding partners where sticking together is paramount. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are welcome to join us at Big Red Barn on either a Saturday or Sunday. We aren't super fast but a 14km/h avg over 30km is more or less average. 

It is just my fiancé and I but another rider or two are always welcome. We do some of the #1 trail which is a little technical in places but nothing hectic. 

You are welcome to DM me for more details.

10 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

You are welcome to join us at Big Red Barn on either a Saturday or Sunday. We aren't super fast but a 14km/h avg over 30km is more or less average. 

It is just my fiancé and I but another rider or two are always welcome. We do some of the #1 trail which is a little technical in places but nothing hectic. 

I should also join you. I ride Big Red Barn most weekends. I was there solo on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I should also join you. I ride Big Red Barn most weekends. I was there solo on Saturday.

We do both Saturday and Sunday most weekends. On alternating weekends we will add Wolwespruit just to remind ourselves of how much fun it is to keep getting lost on a trail. 

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

We do both Saturday and Sunday most weekends. On alternating weekends we will add Wolwespruit just to remind ourselves of how much fun it is to keep getting lost on a trail. 

I do Wolwespruit as well :)

BRB is just so close to me and I do one ride with the wife and kids and one alone or with other friends most weekends. More often than not one of the weekend rides is at BRB.

I try to do all the "local" trails. I have done Buffelsdrift, Wolwespruit, Big Red Barn, Hazeldean Valley, Rosemary Hill, Taroko Trails, Hennops and Cradle Moon. I think this is the lot that I have done so far.

I still have to do Hedianga Farm, Northern Farms, Iron Throne, Grootfontein and Hobby Park. Not sure if there are others reasonably close by that I don't know about or should consider?

What time do you guys ride in wintertime usually?

We start around 13:00 in winter. Not possible for everyone but I'm not a fan of the cold. 

When its less cold we do 10:00

1 hour ago, Rolf Hansen said:

@Steady Spinwere you at Red Barn today?

What bike do you ride? 

I was indeed. 

Im on an orange Evil Following. Was dressed in all black with a white POC helmet. 

On 6/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, Rolf Hansen said:

I do Wolwespruit as well :)

BRB is just so close to me and I do one ride with the wife and kids and one alone or with other friends most weekends. More often than not one of the weekend rides is at BRB.

I try to do all the "local" trails. I have done Buffelsdrift, Wolwespruit, Big Red Barn, Hazeldean Valley, Rosemary Hill, Taroko Trails, Hennops and Cradle Moon. I think this is the lot that I have done so far.

I still have to do Hedianga Farm, Northern Farms, Iron Throne, Grootfontein and Hobby Park. Not sure if there are others reasonably close by that I don't know about or should consider?

What time do you guys ride in wintertime usually?

Need to add Avianto and Kingskloofnto your list

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

I was indeed. 

Im on an orange Evil Following. Was dressed in all black with a white POC helmet. 

I thought that might have been you. I passed you today shortly after we passed a group of 2 ladies and a girl - looked like they were looking for something. I was on an all black Cannondale and carried a red backpack.

1 hour ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I thought that might have been you. I passed you today shortly after we passed a group of 2 ladies and a girl - looked like they were looking for something. I was on an all black Cannondale and carried a red backpack.

You were flying! Heading up towards flow track. 

Nice to almost meet you. 

On 6/7/2021 at 3:32 PM, Steady Spin said:

Big red barn= snakes

I think the problem is larger than just one group. Maybe a Facebook riding groups needs to be setup. Where people in jhb/rand burg can post there riding groups times and places  etc. It surely will be safer in large groups.