Looking for a new group to ride with - Spruit weekdays, Gauteng weekends

Battery_Chick

On 6/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, Battery_Chick said:

Hi there

I got back on the bike (MTB that is) about 2 months ago. I want to spend more time riding with my dad but yesterday I carried on riding with his buddies after he turned back and when I lost the group after Albert's, they suggested that I meet them 5km away and then didn't wait for me, leaving me to find my own way back to the Junction. I felt exceptionally unsafe and have lost trust in this group. I'm looking for new riding buddies. I can ride Tuesdays or Thursdays from about 3h30 from the Junction and Saturdays or Sundays at any location around Gauteng (Northern Farm, Spruit, etc). I'm riding the Junction to Emmarentia and back at about 15km/hr ave and maybe a bit slower on a longer ride while I build up endurance. 

Looking for riding partners where sticking together is paramount. 

Hey, that's my hood. Happy to join you for a ride on the spruit and include you in rides on the weekends - mostly cradle moon lodge, northerns, red barn etc. 

Send me a message and let's exchange details if you're keen.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/7/2021 at 8:19 PM, Battery_Chick said:

Thanks everyone! I will reach out, Red Barn sounds like fun 

Lots of Red Barn riders. 

We should all hook up for a group ride. 

20 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Lots of Red Barn riders. 

We should all hook up for a group ride. 

I am keen.

If I am solo I do route #2 as I am not keen on getting stranded out in the bundus on my own after a crash - better chances of getting seen/found by another rider on route #2.

If I ride with friends we try and do most of the fun parts of route #1. I did however find on Saturday that one or two of the bridges on #1 are nearing the point where they would be unsafe to cross.

12 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I am keen.

If I am solo I do route #2 as I am not keen on getting stranded out in the bundus on my own after a crash - better chances of getting seen/found by another rider on route #2.

If I ride with friends we try and do most of the fun parts of route #1. I did however find on Saturday that one or two of the bridges on #1 are nearing the point where they would be unsafe to cross.

I'm seeing that as well. For example the concrete bridge towards the end of Rosie's Rollercoaster is becoming very sketchy unless you start to jump it. There is another wooden bridge as you approach the section with Flow Track that is also starting to move side to side as you go onto it. 

While I appreciate the effort with new berms everywhere and the new (badly designed) jumps on Rosie's, I feel that they can spend more time fixing the potholes in Viper Pit and patching the bridges up. Rider went down hard in Viper Pit yesterday and I almost crashed into him.

Great trails but the summer rain etc did a real number on the trails. 

I agree with you on riding alone and crashing your brains out. For example just before John's Trail the route swings to the right and next to the reeds and up the climb with all the small pieces of tile. Crashing there would suck as I don't think that gets ridden often.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, Rolf Hansen said:

I do Wolwespruit as well :)

BRB is just so close to me and I do one ride with the wife and kids and one alone or with other friends most weekends. More often than not one of the weekend rides is at BRB.

I try to do all the "local" trails. I have done Buffelsdrift, Wolwespruit, Big Red Barn, Hazeldean Valley, Rosemary Hill, Taroko Trails, Hennops and Cradle Moon. I think this is the lot that I have done so far.

I still have to do Hedianga Farm, Northern Farms, Iron Throne, Grootfontein and Hobby Park. Not sure if there are others reasonably close by that I don't know about or should consider?

What time do you guys ride in wintertime usually?

Myself and my wife went riding a few weeks ago with @Steady Spinat BRB - it was good fun. Our first time there. Planning on going again as soon as possible. Leg just needs to be 100% before then and maybe get my bike to be a bit less noisy. Hardtail makes a lot of noise... 

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

I'm seeing that as well. For example the concrete bridge towards the end of Rosie's Rollercoaster is becoming very sketchy unless you start to jump it. There is another wooden bridge as you approach the section with Flow Track that is also starting to move side to side as you go onto it. 

While I appreciate the effort with new berms everywhere and the new (badly designed) jumps on Rosie's, I feel that they can spend more time fixing the potholes in Viper Pit and patching the bridges up. Rider went down hard in Viper Pit yesterday and I almost crashed into him.

Great trails but the summer rain etc did a real number on the trails. 

I agree with you on riding alone and crashing your brains out. For example just before John's Trail the route swings to the right and next to the reeds and up the climb with all the small pieces of tile. Crashing there would suck as I don't think that gets ridden often.

I saw the Viper Pit holes were significant yesterday. I took it at relative speed but was clenching all the way through. Who was the rider that went down? There weren't many riders yesterday: the group of 2 ladies and the girl, two gents what that I believe were on route #3, one guy on a grey/black bike with orange/red top that I kept on passing on the same trail (not sure how that worked) and then a guy that looked like a new rider on a new Silverback Stratos - I saw him right at the start of the trail but nowhere out on the trail and wondered what happened to him.

The one specific bridge/wooden path that is in really poor condition is quite close to the river, believe close to the climb right before the infrequently ridden black diamond rock(boulder) garden. There are small sections of the plywood missing and it moves a lot when you cross it.

Going out tomorrow afternoon around 14:00 to 16:30 and it will most likely be Red Barn or Wolwespruit. 

Wolwespruit will be the normal getting lost a lot and then ending up at the flow line to session the jumps a couple of times. Average around 12km/h. This place has hectic climbs for me. ???? 

Red Barn will be a 30km that includes a lot a of the #1 trail but no black diamond or parts of the trail where things have gotten bad due to lack of maintenance. Just some good fast flow. Average around 14 to 15km/h depending on if we session a couple of spots.

6 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Going out tomorrow afternoon around 14:00 to 16:30 and it will most likely be Red Barn or Wolwespruit. 

Wolwespruit will be the normal getting lost a lot and then ending up at the flow line to session the jumps a couple of times. Average around 12km/h. This place has hectic climbs for me. ???? 

Red Barn will be a 30km that includes a lot a of the #1 trail but no black diamond or parts of the trail where things have gotten bad due to lack of maintenance. Just some good fast flow. Average around 14 to 15km/h depending on if we session a couple of spots.

Sounds like a plan.

I just have to gauge the level of interest from my family in tomorrow's cycling. If they are keen I would not be able to join you as my kids are 8 and 12 so we would do the 12Km route #3. If they are not to keen I will gladly join you.

Any other possible takers?

Heading to Red Barn this afternoon. If anyone is keen please send me a whatsapp on oh-eight-free twenty-six-zero 4159

Most likely start at 14:30 for a 2 hour fun ride. 

On 6/20/2021 at 1:18 PM, Steady Spin said:

Heading to Red Barn this afternoon. If anyone is keen please send me a whatsapp on oh-eight-free twenty-six-zero 4159

Most likely start at 14:30 for a 2 hour fun ride. 

I have been there at 12 on Sunday to make it back in time for F1 ????

Edited by Brakepad

With the rise of the third wave in SA I'm going to keep going out just with my lady until **** gets back to "normal" 

Dying to get a lekker group together but right now the risk is too high. 

• 2 months later...

JMBC would like to encourage more people to ride their bikes with the club and enjoy the great outdoors. So to promote this initiative, JMBC is waiving visitors fees for the remainder of 2021. This is effective immediately for our organised club outrides (except bike parks).

Please extend this invitation to family and friends so that they can also ride with you. Any former members are welcome too. (JMBC members still have their bike entry fees covered, subsided skills course and year end function and special events).
We usually ride every Sunday morning and have ride groups. Join the Group that is the most suitable for your pace AND ability. To help new riders slot into the right ride group we normally ask how often they ride and the pace they are used to. E.g. The Green group (Beginner) rating would be similar to 2 x 12km green route at Northern Farm or 1 x 20km green route lap at Modderfontein bike park in about 2.5 hours.

We suggest starting with a slower paced group for your first time to allow you to get familiar with the type of trails we ride which sometimes informs the pace and ability of the rider of that group. If you have brought a visitor, it is recommended that you ride with your guest the first time. Please check with the ride coordinator / leader if unsure.

GROUP PACE AND ABILITY:

GREEN: 8 - 11kms per hour - frequent stops - wait for slowest rider

YELLOW: 11 - 13kms per hour - technically competent

RED: 13 - 15kms per hour - can ride technical faster and with fewer stops

BLUE: 15+ experienced and fit - can manage technical problems unassisted

Green group will ride Green distance at a green pace
Green group ride is subject to confirmation of rider numbers

Visitors to sign riders indemnity.
Have you got your ICE (in case of emergency) details easily available? Get an ICE wrist bracelet. Have at least ICE details on you.

Please contact any of the committee members if you'd like more details or contact us at chairman@jmbc.org.za to be added to our Whatsapp Ride Group.

JMBC would like to encourage more people to ride their bikes with the club and enjoy the great outdoors. So to promote this initiative, JMBC is waiving visitors fees for the remainder of 2021. This is effective immediately for our organised club outrides (except bike parks).

Please extend this invitation to family and friends so that they can also ride with you. Any former members are welcome too. (JMBC members still have their bike entry fees covered, subsided skills course and year end function and special events).
We usually ride every Sunday morning and have ride groups. Join the Group that is the most suitable for your pace AND ability. To help new riders slot into the right ride group we normally ask how often they ride and the pace they are used to. E.g. The Green group (Beginner) rating would be similar to 2 x 12km green route at Northern Farm or 1 x 20km green route lap at Modderfontein bike park in about 2.5 hours.

We suggest starting with a slower paced group for your first time to allow you to get familiar with the type of trails we ride which sometimes informs the pace and ability of the rider of that group. If you have brought a visitor, it is recommended that you ride with your guest the first time. Please check with the ride coordinator / leader if unsure.

GROUP PACE AND ABILITY:

GREEN: 8 - 11kms per hour - frequent stops - wait for slowest rider

YELLOW: 11 - 13kms per hour - technically competent

RED: 13 - 15kms per hour - can ride technical faster and with fewer stops

BLUE: 15+ experienced and fit - can manage technical problems unassisted

Green group will ride Green distance at a green pace
Green group ride is subject to confirmation of rider numbers

Visitors to sign riders indemnity.
Have you got your ICE (in case of emergency) details easily available? Get an ICE wrist bracelet. Have at least ICE details on you.

Please contact any of the committee members if you'd like more details or contact us at chairman@jmbc.org.za to be added to our Whatsapp Ride Group.